MacBook Pro 2014 No WIFI

After distro hopping for a while, I decided to focus on one distro, EndeavourOS, and learn as much as I can. The BIG ISSUE that I’m having trouble figuring out after a new install is WIFI. I have a 2014 MacBook Pro 13", I haven’t figured out what I need to do yet to get the WIFI working. This MBP does not have an Ethernet port so it adds to the challenge. I installed EndearourOS on a USB flash drive, I’m not sure if that has any impact to my issue or not. Any advice and direction would be great!

what is your output of lspci , like which wifi chip ?

Do you have internet when you’re in the live environment? If so then follow the instructions over here:https://endeavouros.com/docs/system-rescue/rescue-non-booting-system-with-arch-chroot/

Ignore the efi part that isn’t relevant in your system.

Then type in yay -S broadcom-wl
and install it.

exit and reboot the system, now your wifi card should be enabled.

I have a Broadcom BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapater (rev 03).

Unfortunately I do not have internet in the live environment.

@Bryanpwo - BTW the link that you sent still uses “Antergos”.

1 Like

Try to pair your computer with your phone to get internet. Then just type the yay command.

To be clear it’s because the mac has a broadcom card, you have to install the driver afterwards by pairing your computer with your phone (yay -S broadcom-wl) unfortunately broadcom isn’t supported by default in Linux, that’s why you have to do it like this.

Since I’m a newbie… I have looked but I can’t seem to figure out how to pair my computer with my phone. I do have another MacBook Pro at home that has an Ethernet port that I can use if anything.

The pairing menu is on your phone in your settings, it uses bluetooth to connect with your Mac. You have to be on your carrier network and not on your wifi, otherwise it won’t work.

I don’t know if this will be of much help to you as it would involve spending money for something that you might only rarely use but are you aware that there are devices which allows you to connect an Ethernet cable to them and then connect that to a USB port?

This is just one example.

Even though I rarely use mine (and I have a different one from the example), I always take it along when on vacation in case, for some reason, I do not want to use a hotel’s Wi-Fi.

I hope that this is of some help to you.

Lawrence

1 Like

you can always look in terminal broadcom is installed.

pacman -Qs broadcom

normal it should be installed, you can also look if its loaded : lsmod | grep wl

if so mayby someone with some solutions…

You have the Broadcom 4360 (rev 03) chip for wifi. This is the 802.11AC standard which is dual band 2.4 and 5.0 Ghz. Endeavour loads the Broadcom-wl when you install it but in order for it to make the wireless show up in the network icon you have to load linux-headers. So you really need to get it connected by pairing your phone to it as @Bryanpwo said and then install the headers. Or by connecting it via a usb to ethernet adapter as @lhb1142 said. After a reboot the wireless should show up and you can connect to it. After doing so you should use pacman and install broadcom-wl-dkms instead and it will remove broadcom-wl. This way every time you have an update to the kernel or broadcom it will always rebuild the modules. Otherwise you have to reinstall it each time. I have the same wifi chip in a desktop version. Also as @ringo said you can check if it is installed but i’m sure it is.

1 Like

@ricklinux installing broadcom-wl-dkms did it. Thank you for the advice. Thanks to @ringo, @Bryanpwo, and @lhb1142 for your input as well and the quick responses. What I did, keep in mind I installed Endeavour on a 64GB flash stick, I was able to boot that flash stick from a 2012 MacBook Pro that has an ethernet port then I installed the broadcom-wl-dmks driver (?). :smiley:

Now… ON WITH THE LEARNING!!!

2 Likes

@mminton That’s awesome! Keep in mind if you install a different kernel such as the lts kernel or any other such as Zen kernel then you would also have to install the corresponding headers for that kernel. So if you install lts you would need linux-lts-headers and if you installed the zen kernel you would have to install linux-zen-headers. Otherwise the wifi won’t work when you boot into any of those kernels. Hopefully you are getting used to pacman commands in the terminal.

sudo pacman -S linux-lts (Installs lts kernel)
sudo pacman -S linux-lts-headers (Installs lts headers)

So you can do both at the same time or and all or multiple kernels and headers at the same time.
example:
(Installs lts kernel and headers and zen kernel and zen headers)

These are just some examples and you can look at pacman manual via.
man pacman

sudo pacman -S linux-lts linux-lts-headers linux-zen linux-zen-headers