Linux Mint taking over Timeshift development

Not a bad thing, couldn’t see anyone posting here :smiley:

12 Likes

Good :smiley: Given the effort that Mint put into making Cinnamon and XApps work on other distros too, this can only be good for Timeshift.

Here’s a link to the Linux Mint blog announcement:
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4323

5 Likes

I think this is great. Especially if they hold true and don’t release it as a snap, and all those 'buntu users either need to figure out how to do without it, install it without a snap.

2 Likes

Way to go - I had a long affair with Mint after getting bored with Ubuntu. Very professional, very stable, and everything I’d wanted Ubuntu to be.

Also, I’m cure they won’t make it a snap - but if they do, I’m sure someone will come up with a nice AUR script to unpack it and strip the bloat.

3 Likes

I found something new related to Ubuntu.

The good thing is mint is kinda against snap, so I don’t think you would have to worry about that. They even had some heated words with Ubuntu when Ubuntu decided to replace the chromium .deb with a back handed snap installation in apt a while back.

2 Likes

I hope Mint goes 100% Debian some day.

9 Likes

Mint’s not just kinda against snap; it’s actually blocked from being installed by default.

6 Likes

In other news, it remains useless if not on btrfs…

Not allowing anything other than a partition as a destination makes it so
3 Likes

Also some discussion here:

1 Like

Since Btrfs Assist, TimeShift has been dead for me.

Timeshift with RSync set to default and Btrfs greyed out, is what got me curious about filesystems.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Snapper, snap-pac, grub-btrfs and btrfs assistant are way more useful to me than timeshift.

1 Like

No, I thought it was one of the other.
Still I like btrfs Assistant with grub menu. No need for timeshift for me.

1 Like

Yes and what about the users who want to stay with ext4? Will they just be ignored in the future? rsync is not important anymore because the btrfs users don’t need it … very professional …

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Then they have timeshift as an option. To me timeshift is isn’t very useful.

1 Like

For me it is the opposite. It’s btrfs support is so limited that it really makes more sense when used with rsync.

5 Likes

Me personally if I am running an ext4 system I am not going to bother waisting disk space on using rsync and timeshift because every time I have tried doing that a. It would fill up my drive and caused me to not be able to use my PC for anything, and b. The one time I tried to use an rsync snapshot with timeshift it didn’t work so for me I am not going to bother with the hassle when I can just not use anything and save my disk space or use btrfs and the tools I mentioned above that actually work for me. Even before I found snapper timeshift to me was only useful on btrfs.

I don’t use Timeshift anymore since the last reinstallation in early December, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be maintained. If the Mint developers come up with a clean development that will be installable elsewhere, I’ll probably come back to it. For me, at least, it did exactly what it was supposed to do without cluttering up the hard drive.