Linux Mint taking over Timeshift development

A couple of years ago while I was still using Timeshift, I used it with rsync on ext4 and it worked perfectly. It makes it possible for users who do not want to use btrfs to have system snapshots, which is the whole point of Timeshift. If you are going to experiment with installing and removing desktop environments and do silly things like that, I can see it being beneficial to make a snapshot so you can easily reverse any changes. Some people like to make snapshots before every update (which I think is a bit overly cautious). Sure, it takes up a lot of storage (though, only the first snapshot is like that, the next ones are incremental), but that’s the price you pay for having snapshots on a filesystem not designed with snapshots in mind. Overall, I think it’s a pretty good deal… :slight_smile:

But if you’re going to use btrfs, you don’t really need Timeshift. I think btrfs snapshots in Timeshift were just an afterthought, an attempt to make it relevant on btrfs systems…

3 Likes

The best thing about Mint, in my opinion. :slight_smile: It’s basically a 'Buntu system without any of the cancerous soyftware…

Me too. I think they are getting there, but I may just be a bit too optimistic.

5 Likes

As for storage space: Most users run the system on an SSD, which is rarely smaller than 250 GiB. Data is then usually stored on another hard drive. So there is always more than enough space on the system disk (even if you want to create an extra partition for timeshift). I don’t know why the argument disk space is always brought. I even had the snapshots stored on a USB stick for a while, it worked.

I don’t know, you might want to use this space for something else… :man_shrugging:t3:

For my stamp collection …

I just wanted to say that disk space should no longer be an argument, especially if you can buy the feeling of having a safety net under the ass. :wink:

I think that this is going to be pretty dependent on the both the use case and the situation of the person in question.

Lots of small/thin laptops come with 64GB of eMMC storage still. Models from as recently as a year or two ago were shipping with 32GB of storage.

That depends what you use your PC for. For example, if you do a lot of photo editing your SSD disk space will be at a huge premium. If you do video editing/creation, even more so.

4 Likes

OK, I did not know that, because I do not use such devices. I still have an old laptop, but it has a 250 GiB SSD in it that the previous owner put in there at some point. I was looking for such a small SSD for my system partition years ago. In this case, the disk space is of course an argument.

2 Likes

I guess I should clarify my comment about Timeshift being useless when NOT on btrfs. It seems (from all I could uncover) that it requires a separate partition for EACH instance that gets used - as it uses hard-coded directory names for its internals. On a machine with (for example) 8 different builds on it, that means clearing out space and creating 8 additional partitions just for Timeshift - and making them big enough to be useful with the rsync version of Timeshift… I gave up on the whole concept.

Now I will just wait for zfs-assistant :grin:

1 Like

LMDE exists.

Ah, and here I was wondering what’s special about TimeShift…

I was using it originally, then switched to snapper due to BTRFS Assistant (which is amazing). Having an rsync option is cool indeed and will work with any FS I guess (not just ext4).

Still, love my btrfs/snapper/grub-btrfs/btrfs-assistant setup. It’s a bit overkill (as I run in a proxmox VM anyway) but cool.

I normally take snapshots from proxmox on a schedule, as well as before updating packages I was nervous about, but if this setup proves resilient (been running BTRFS for 5 months only; never had to use a snapper snapshot so far) I may feel like I can simply rely on this instead…

The real test is doing snapshot restore test, which I did often, now not so much as I have high confidence in @dalto’s combination you are using.

It’s a little over 4 months now and would never return to TimeShift. I do have Piku Backup running on Borg - when I just want just a few files restored instead of the entire snapshot.

So, I’ve done the snapshot restore test and I love the snapper/btrfs-assistant/grub-btrfs(with overlayfs) combo.

The real test for me is when I mess up my system and the above combinations saves me. Nothing worse than thinking “yeah, should be fine” and finding out it isn’t (when you actually need it) :slight_smile:

The luxury I have is that even if that doesn’t work, Proxmox should still save me…

1 Like

I once deleted my home directory by mistake and successfully restored to a snapshot taken 20 minutes earlier

4 Likes

I know. :wink:

That’s got to be the ultimate test :sweat_smile: I’ve done much worse.

My home directory is backed up on a timer with Piku Backup/Borg, so I’m less stressed about screwing something up, which I have an uncanny ability to do. :melting_face:

2 Likes

Nah that’s

sudo su
rm -rf /

I still haven’t responded to @ricklinux 's challenge to do this. Maybe sometime this week

1 Like

Oh that one defintely works :rofl:

Timeshift with rsync is still a good idea for external backups. I kept using it after I switched to BTRFS, until Timeshift started claiming it was running on a LiveCD and blocked backup functionality :rofl: For internal snapper can be hooked to pacman and GRUB, making it more convenient.

2 Likes