Linux laptops

Good tidings for us that keep insisting to speak and write in a small silly language!

Tuxedo provides keyboard setups for most European languages. Not that it matters, because they can etch anything you want on the keys. Linus Tech Tips had one made with wingdings. Extremely useful! :upside_down_face:

The LLT revue was horrible, but the interest was so big they got ā€œThe Kiss of Deathā€, and the site went down for a few hours.

I kind of fell in love with this one:

https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/en/Linux-Hardware/Linux-Notebooks/15-16-inch/TUXEDO-InfinityBook-Pro-15-v5-RED-Edition.tuxedo

Very reasonably priced for what you get, butā€¦ Anyone who needs a kidney? :wink:

4 Likes

Not at the moment but when I think of you :smiley:

Remember, no more Intelā€¦

4 Likes

Thanks, are these compatible with the new AMD-based slimbook?

Whatā€™s wrong with Intel?

Itā€™s over priced and AMD performs better on linux?

2 Likes

And

CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-3770K bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Ivy Bridge family: 6 model-id: 3A (58) 
           stepping: 9 microcode: 21 L2 cache: 8192 KiB 
           flags: avx lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 bogomips: 57692 
           Speed: 3359 MHz min/max: 1600/4100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 4219 2: 4223 3: 4221 4: 3653 5: 4219 6: 4216 7: 4204 
           8: 4222 
           Vulnerabilities: Type: itlb_multihit status: KVM: Vulnerable 
           Type: l1tf mitigation: PTE Inversion 
           Type: mds mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable 
           Type: meltdown mitigation: PTI 
           Type: spec_store_bypass mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp 
           Type: spectre_v1 mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization 
           Type: spectre_v2 mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB: conditional, IBRS_FW, STIBP: conditional, RSB filling 
           Type: srbds status: Vulnerable: No microcode 
           Type: tsx_async_abort status: Not affected 

2 Likes

I know itā€™s a bad thing to say, but most Linux hardware companies offer mid-range machines for high-end prices.
Before you kill me, I understand the reason of that, itā€™s because they are too small to offer them for lower prices.

From an idealist view, the price is justifiable, from an average consumerā€™s point of view it is very hard to ignore that price card in comparison with the big companies.
And even for hardcore Linux users, the price is still a big issue, even though most of them donā€™t dare to say this out loud.

The average Linux user is using older hardware and most of them do quite a long time with their machines, thanks to the way Linux operates.
And even when their machines die, the majority is buying 4 year old business line machines to replace their old ones.

Iā€™m not saying that all Linux users arenā€™t interested in new hardware, but they are looking at performance and price. As long as Linux still performs well on older hardware, this issue will still divide the community towards Linux hardware.

8 Likes

you are right in my opinion, unfortunately
itā€™s cheaper to buy a PC with Wā€¦ OS and install linux on it

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, in some countries (e.g. Germany?) it is legal to re-sell the Windows license if you are not using it (and have removed it) in your machine.

But donā€™t take my word for it, check for yourself it that applies in your country! :wink:

3 Likes

In The Netherlands this applies for sure, but most computers have this license that is paired with the machine, so it is quite useless to do so. It only works for seperate sold licenses.

I built this machine myself, so maybe I can sell the Windows license nowā€¦ I bought it to be on the ā€œsafeā€ sideā€¦ :rofl: ā€¦ to see if there were any issues with the hardware.

I really donā€™t need Windows in this machine. :wave:

1 Like

I thought Windows were for seeing out of your room - and maybe changing the air in the warmer seasonsā€¦?

1 Like

Windows on a machine actually provides for the uninvited the tools to see whatā€™s inside your machine and to change stuff to their likingā€¦ and also sell your stuff to their friendsā€¦

And all this even when you have already paid for Windows! :scream:

But the same applies to Google, Facebook, Apple, ā€¦ all the big names, unfortunately.
This is a crazy world!
:crazy_face:

1 Like

I use Windows 10 once a year at income tax time. I depend on Turbo Tax to prepare my income taxes. Every year in the middle of February, I dig my Windows 10 box out of the closet, update it, install the current yearly version of Turbo Tax, and prepare my taxes. Once I have my taxes filed, back in the closet for my WIndows machine.

Originally, Turbo Tax was offered for Linux. But alas, it was not profitable for them and they discontinued the Linux version.

Pudge

4 Likes

This is very true. Although, to my knowledge, Lenovo, Dell, and IBM are also involved in the production of machines with preinstalled Linux.

This is also completely true, and my own example supports this. I have also been buying business class machines for years. Iā€™m also using a laptop that already had Windows Vista pre-installed, and the hardware survived this and Windows 7, but now two types of Linux distro work well on it. Another one, which is a desktop computer, was already pre-installed with Windows 7, and currently EOS runs flawlessly on this machine as the main system, alongside Windows 10 as a secondary, with major or minor software bugs. I also bought a five-year-old, used Thinkpad, on which the EOS also works well.

I also fully agree with this for the reasons I have described above.

You remember well. This is common practice when disposing of corporate computers shipped with Windows. Three years ago, I was able to purchase a Windows 7 Pro OEM license for my Windows Vista laptop this way.

Windows always needs washing! They get dirty. Makes it hard to see the sunshine. :rofl:

I wonder when M$ starts selling Windows wipers?
:joy:

1 Like

I know itā€™s a bad thing to say, but most Linux hardware companies offer mid-range machines for high-end prices.
Before you kill me, I understand the reason of that, itā€™s because they are too small to offer them for lower prices.

As others have said, agreed. Iā€™ve been saying this for a couple years now.

Overall, this is the reason that most of my laptops are Dell & HP. As also stated previously, cheaper to buy Windows laptop than to buy the overpriced hardware of a linux vendor thatā€™s lower end hardware but priced even higher.

Sorry, i disagree with that statement. I donā€™t think the linux hardware is lower end or overpriced. I guess it depends on what you are referring to.