Linux laptops

https://www.thinkpenguin.com - not a lot of choices there, but the hardware should be linux (and possibly BSD) compatible. The machines mostly come with either parabola or trisquel preinstalled (I think I saw Mint also).

edit: although it looks like one can choose from several distributions to install. I probably was seeing mostly parabola and trisquel because I came across this one on gnu.org :slight_smile:

I was wondering how obvious Apple’s advantage is in having hardware and software development in one hand, making it easier to optimize the two than other manufacturers.

The stability issue was that, as I wrote above, Apple can more easily optimize hardware and software for each other because they are both in one hand. How much of this benefit comes out of the two different platform laptops / tablets?

For general use, none

If you’re using a laptop/tablet as intended with supported hardware it doesn’t matter. You might be able to run benchmarks and measure a difference but mostly the idea doesn’t hold up a ton in the realm of general purpose machines.

Now if this was referring to specialized machines or game consoles that could be another story.

I use a laptop (tablet less) for both general and test purposes. The game matters less.

1 Like

This is incredibly well demonstrated with SSD’s. In benchmarks NVMe SSD’s CRUSH the benchmark results of SATA SSD’s. But put 2 (mostly) identical machines in front of someone the only major difference being 1 has a NVMe drive and the other a SATA drive, and unless it’s the newest high performance PCIe 4.0x4 NVMe drive…while the benchmarks might show a huge difference, will you be able to FEEL the difference? Most likely not at all. Yes, not QUITE the exact same thing, but it’s a good demonstration of how difference in performance and difference in PERCEPTIBLE performance are quite different.

1 Like

Another example of the difference in perception v reality…
My ‘old’ system takes 27 seconds to boot from reset. 3 secs to BIOS, 7 secs to rEFInd, 17 secs to login.
My ‘new’ system takes less than 20 secs to boot from reset. 9 secs to BIOS, 6 secs to rEFInd, 4+ secs to login.
No prizes for guessing which ‘feels’ faster, despite the total elapsed time :grin:

Edit: All times approximate - new system: sometimes 11 secs to Bios, sometimes 5 secs to rEFInd and 5 secs to login…

Or with how people do all these “optimized Linux kernels” which end up with mostly no differences in performance vs generic.

If hardware is well designed and software well written you don’t really even need to be concerned as you won’t feel any difference

In the realm of tablets if that’s what you’re looking for they usually are tailored to their hardware.

I.E the kernel,drivers,etc. In Samsung are made specifically for that hardware. The Pinetab even is tailored and “optimized” for its hardware.

Although to be fair it ONCE was effective. When I STARTED using Arch it was for this reason. Most distro’s were still optimized for 486, some even for 386 (yes, I’m dating myself), while Arch was 686 optimized. While Gentoo could get even MORE optimized, there was a PERCEPTIBLE (like how I’m tying it into prior posts, pretty snazzy, eh) difference in performance from say, Debian or Mandrake to Arch, while the difference from Arch to Gentoo was generally not enough to be percieved (and definitely not worth waiting 18 hours for updates to finish).
Generally now, yeah, no point in optimizing…amd64 is amd64; arm64 is arm64; etc. for the most part. Sure, you can get better multimedia performance with some optimizations if your processor has it, but to me, just not worth it.

True, but also back in the day overclocking my P2 50mhz was a lot or having 256mb of RAM was plenty lol

Oh how times have changed

Yeah. I still have fond memories of changing a jumper and getting a 50% frequency boost (Celeron 300A)…those were the days.

Your day doesn’t go back far enough! :grin: I don’t have to go far to remember ‘drowning’ in 7Mb RAM on my Amiga - so much so that I ran RAMdisks to make use of it! Or selling a PC clone as hi-zoot because it came with 640K

1 Like

Ok, some of that goes back past where I was using computers even (I REMEMBER when it was common, I just didn’t have the funds to have a computer).

Not all of us who had computers back then had the funds either… some of us worked in computer stores for that reason! :grin:

Yeah, that wasn’t really an option either. Where I grew up, cows, pigs, horses and dogs outnumbered humans for a multiple mile radius, so until I got a car I couldn’t get a job except on farms. And then unless I was willing to drive 60+ miles, there was only Radio Shack as the only computer store (and given how early(-ish) they went out of business, they didn’t have ANY turnover in employees it seemed). Yes, I grew up in the COUNTRY…
Probably explains why I live in a city now…
Although eventually DID end up going into IT a few years after getting my first computer that was actually MINE (pentium MMX 133).

I’ve found also:

https://slimbook.es/

https://slimbook.es/kde-slimbook-amd

1 Like

Looks good. The bad news is that it’s only available with a Spanish keyboard layout for now.

https://slimbook.es/en/slimbook-pro-x-keyboards

there is some keyboard choice :slight_smile:

Schenker - Tuxedo