Linux kernel 5.3 is officially released

The 5.3 kernel is officially released and will hit the Arch repo soon as the 5.3 point release has been released.
If you want to know what it will bring us, just read this article:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-53-features&num=1

4 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. Now I know not to update for at least a week. :smiley:

Pudge

1 Like

The LTS kernel is also available, so no worries mate! :slight_smile:

Following arch-commits mailing list, there is no linux 5.3 kernel for the moment (September 17th). I wonder if Archlinux will wait for first point release and propose linux 5.3.

Well, linux 5.3 is on my archlinux with testing enabled:

Linux fredo-arch-mate 5.3.0-arch1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Sep 16 03:29:01 UTC 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux

By the way, @manuel, next LTS kernel will be 5.4.x. See this page on Kernel.org: https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

With a 8 weeks release schedule, linux 5.4 will be released in mid-november 2019. Yummy :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the info! :slight_smile:

1 Like

2019-09-20-011902_1024x768_scrot

there it comesā€¦

2 Likes

Gnome 3.34 and Linux 5.3 came down the pipeline just after I posted my new screenshots. Go figureā€¦:laughing:

Since it was my test computer, I just updated to kernel 5.3 and Gnome 3.34.
The update said it removed nvidia dkms and then installed nvidia dkms. After reboot, I got the black screen of death with the flashing cursor. I think the flashing cursor is just to rub it in. :roll_eyes:

Got into Console window,
pacman -Q | grep nvidia
lib32-nvidia-utils 435.21-1
nvidia-dkms 435.21-5
nvidia-installer-db 2.1-2
nvidia-installer-dkms 2.1-8
nvidia-settings 435.21-1
nvidia-utils 435.21-1

ran nvidia-installer-dkms still BSOD (Black Screen Of Death).
ran pacman -S nvidia-dkms still BSOD

pacman -S xf86-video-nouveau
pacman -R nvidia-dkms booted fine, no problems

Looks like nouveau is back on the menu boys!

Will edit later after playing around with Gnome 3.34

Pudge

So far, Gnome 3.34 is working as expected, but I havenā€™t given it a through work out yet.

Well this is very interesting. I have never have that happen once i installed dkms version of Nvidia. So i am going to try it on my good computer because thatā€™s all i have run was dkms but last time i ended up reloading it and it is dual boot Windows 10 and Endeavour Cinnamon. But this time i just left Nvidia. So now i will install Nvidia-dkms and then iā€™ll update to 5.3 kernel. Iā€™ve actually never used Nouveau. So i will let you know. But, i did update the kernel on my other computer which has Radeon HD 3870. No problem.

@Pudge Well there were 21 updates including the 5.3 kernel plus 2 updates in the AUR. I installed the nvidia-installer-dkms first but doing so pacman automatically updated all the updates along with installing this. Pacman doesnā€™t install the AUR updates so i always use yay. So i did that and everything was updated and i had the 5.3 kernel but i was still on Nvidia drivers. So then i ran the nvidia-installer-dkms and it installed the Nvidia-Dkms version.

[rick@endeavour-os ~]$ pacman -Q | grep nvidia
lib32-nvidia-utils 435.21-1
nvidia-dkms 435.21-5
nvidia-installer-db 2.1-2
nvidia-installer-dkms 2.1-8
nvidia-settings 435.21-1
nvidia-utils 435.21-1

Then booted into 5.3 kernel.

[rick@endeavour-os ~]$ uname -a
Linux endeavour-os 5.3.0-arch1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Sep 16 03:29:01 UTC 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux

So this is all 3 computers updated to 5.3 kernel on Endeavour.

This is going to be my first change in kernel version since on Arch, so please excuse if this is a dumb question :grinning:

My machine was happily updating the 5.2.x series ( I do have an issue with the LTS kernel, but thatā€™s for a different thread) and now I wonder how I best jump ship over to the 5.3.x line.
I would have expected I need to run pacman -S linux 5.3.arch1-1, but when I just ran the pacman command above out of curiosity I can see itā€™s already available locally?

thomas@hermes:~$ pacman -Q | grep linux
linux 5.3.arch1-1
linux-headers 5.3.arch1-1

This leads me to my question(s), how come that I already have it even though I never knowingly downloaded this kernel?
To install I guess I would still just do a pacman -S linux 5.3.arch1-1, it will just pull things from the local cache instead of downloading?
Anything special I need to do for the nVidia drivers or will the install be taking care of adding the right versions in? Similar to the point release upgrades I did up to now?

The ā€˜linuxā€™ kernel in Arch means the latest stable or mainline kernel. See kernel.org for more about the kernels.
So youā€™ll get the ā€˜linuxā€™ kernel that the Arch devs create for a package. And if you update the system, a new kernel version may come.

And nvidia stuff should be automatically updated too, if your system is properly updated (i.e. you havenā€™t put any packages to the ignore list, and all updates have been installed).

Note that Arch supports only ā€œatomic updatesā€, meaning you must install all available updates, or none. And this applies to the official packages, not AUR packages.

Just do a sudo pacman -Syyu / yay -Syyu and reboot. Youā€™ll get new kernel installed and running.

1 Like

Thanks for all your feedback, I seem to be missing something still.

1. I am on 5.2.14, .14 came in only this morning
  2. 5.3.x is available to me as I can see from pacman -Q
  3. But yay says thereā€™s nothing to do

Donā€™t I somehow need to tell the OS first that I want to switch from 5.2.x to 5.3.x?
E.g. via pacman -S linux 5.3.arch1-1?

Summary
thomas@hermes:~$ uname -a
Linux hermes 5.2.14-arch2-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Sep 12 10:42:38 UTC 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux

thomas@hermes:~$ pacman -Q | grep linux
archlinux-keyring 20190827-1
libutil-linux 2.34-3
linux 5.3.arch1-1
linux-api-headers 5.1-1
linux-firmware 20190815.07b925b-1
linux-headers 5.3.arch1-1
linux-lts 4.19.73-1
linux-lts-headers 4.19.73-1
util-linux 2.34-3

thomas@hermes:~$ yay -Syyu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                                                              132,1 KiB  2,58M/s 00:00 [################################################################] 100%
 extra                                                                            1642,0 KiB  22,0M/s 00:00 [################################################################] 100%
 community                                                                           4,9 MiB  51,8M/s 00:00 [################################################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do
:: Searching databases for updates...
:: Searching AUR for updates...
 there is nothing to do

It seems that the mirror isnā€™t up to date, just take a look into our wiki article over here:

https://endeavouros.com/docs/pacman/rank-mirrorlist/

3 Likes

That was my first thinking as well, but can it be the mirror if pacman -Q already shows the package?

Anyway, I created a new mirrorlist here https://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/?country=DE&protocol=https&ip_version=4 and tried yay -Syyu again but still nothing to do.

Guess I will just wait a little longer.
Itā€™s not that I ā€œneedā€ the kernel but more that Iā€™d like to understand how things work.

The strange thing is that the 5.3 kernel should be in there in your update list automatically. Try auto-reflector, the instructions are in the same wiki article I referred you to. It is a tool that @manuel created for such cases.

Thanks Bryan, I did install native reflector as my repos still point to Arch.
Ranā€¦

reflector --country France --country Germany --age 2 --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

ā€¦which should give me all mirrors which updated in the last 2 hours. But still no updates available.
What I find strange is that up to now there werenā€™t any issues with updates, like I wrote 5.2.14 come in this morningā€¦but hey maybe thatā€™s it? Maybe I need to reboot before any new kernel updates are accepted?

I received it yesterday evening, try the Netherlands.

Unfortunately no success?

thomas@hermes:~$ sudo reflector --country Netherlands --age 2 --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
thomas@hermes:~$ yay -Syyu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                                                                                 132,1 KiB  1421K/s 00:00 [#############################################################################] 100%
 extra                                                                                               1642,0 KiB  15,0M/s 00:00 [#############################################################################] 100%
 community                                                                                              4,9 MiB  38,4M/s 00:00 [#############################################################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do
:: Searching databases for updates...
:: Searching AUR for updates...
 there is nothing to do
thomas@hermes:~$ 

Think Iā€™ll try pacman -S linux 5.3.arch1-1 and see what happensā€¦I am on btrfs so can roll back quickly if neededā€¦

Edit: Now, I feel not only a little stupid :roll_eyes:

thomas@hermes:~$ sudo pacman -S linux 5.3.arch1-1 
warning: linux-5.3.arch1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
error: target not found: 5.3.arch1-1
thomas@hermes:~$ uname -a
Linux hermes 5.3.0-arch1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Sep 16 03:29:01 UTC 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I did reboot and it came up with 5.3? If I wouldnā€™t have posted my evidence that 5 minutes ago I was running 5.2. I would think I am getting mad :slight_smile:
Not sure how this happened, but sorry for boiling the ocean for nothingā€¦

1 Like