Linux-hardened kernel hasn't internet connection

Hello folks,

i don’t know why but only the hardened kernel has no internet connection. Mainline and LTS Kernel are still connected to the internet through my cabled connection.

Is it normal, that the hardened kernel has no internet connection after installation?
How can i install afterwards the installation of hardened kernel a network driver for my computer?

Thank you.

1 Like

Is your device still being seen? DHCP or static IP? What are you using to get a network connection, network manager?

Are you using dkms modules, did you install linux-hardened-headers

Can we see the output of these commands:

lspci | egrep -i 'network|ethernet'   
ip a

On a positive note, your machine is now significantly more secure.

3 Likes

:joy:

5 Likes
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 11)

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

It looks like an issue with the drivers for your device.

Did you try installing the headers?

sudo pacman -S linux-hardened-headers
1 Like

I think you need to install the r8168 dkms modules for hardened kernel and also as @dalto has said the appropriate headers for the linux hardened kernel. Package is in the AUR.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/r8168-dkms/

2 Likes

@dalto I installed already the linux-hardened-headers after installation of linux-hardened. Should i try it again?

I will install r8168 dkms modules and will post my result here again.

Thank you so far

No, no need to re-install.

1 Like

I did not need to install anything, except as pointed out by @dalto at the time dkms-nvidia if you have that graphics card.

$ uname -rs
Linux 5.6.15.b-1-hardened

It works, after installing r8168-dkms through AUR.

3 Likes

Hello it’s me again, sorry!

I reinstalled my system and have now the same issue like before, but yay r8168-dkms don’t show me an install. Only an error was there.

No packages match searchIMG_20201231_170242 IMG_20201231_170201

There is a menu on yay showing up when i enter yay r8168 only. But i did the first and second option already and nothing’s happened even after a reboot.

Maybe you have the same issue I had. Try modprobe r8168 as root. But be careful, it’s not persistent. This driver has been blacklisted lately. To make it survive a reboot you need to delete the file r8168.conf in /usr/lib/modprobe.d.

Nor the modprobe or deleting the file was successful. Couldnt delete the .conf file and using sudo modprobe r8168 shows me an error.

r8168 is a package that can be uninstalled. When you boot it should load the kernel module r8169 if you remove the r8168. Some hardware works better on r8168 others work better on r8169. Also coming out of suspend or hibernate the r8168 doesn’t seem to want to wake up.

Yeah thanks ricklinux,

that was the right way. I simply uninstalled r8168 and rebooted my computer and it works. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You are having better luck than i am as my broadcom wifi isn’t working also.

Edit: Didn’t notice until now as i am connected to ethernet currently.

18 posts were split to a new topic: Netgear AC1200 no longer working