Linux gaming [Guide]

DLSS should now work in supported games in combination with dxvk-nvapi.

Not a fan of Nvidia DLSS myself, but i know for many people it’s big deal :upside_down_face:

only real bad thing about it is the proprietary part otherwise its borderline magic. Hope AMD comes out with something a bit better than FSR to compete with Intel and Nvidia on this front. Though theyd have to improve things in regards to compute overall for RDNA because atm its a mess for most of their cards minus the short list of official GPUs.

Rocms a bit separate from this but AMD + Anything but plain ol rendering is a bit of a joke atm.

Hi, I’m a little lost.
I just got a new PC with Radeon RX 6600 XT graphics card and I intend using it to play Steam games.
I have a fresh EndeavourOS Plasma install but am wondering what I need to download in addition.
As far as radeon goes is all I need already installed with the new EnOS installation?
Some kind of control centre like the one I had with Nvidia?
Vulkan: if so what?
Mesa: what is this?
Sorry for being a bit vague but I never had an AMD graphics card with my EndeavourOS before yesterday. Thanks in advance for any help.

Just read it, you’ll get there :wink:

Requirements of system packages listed here Linux gaming [Guide]

Do I install both of these?
AMD AMDVLK```
amdvlk
lib32-amdvlk

AMD RADV
vulkan-radeon
lib32-vulkan-radeon

No, you choose between them depending on what driver you have installed (RADV or AMDVLK) which one is better i don’t know because i have Nvidia card, there are a lot of benchmarks and stuff around https://linuxreviews.org/The_Best_Linux_Vulkan_Driver_For_AMD_GPUs:_Mesa_RADV_vs_AMDVLK

But i think you better create separate thread and ask people who are gamers and have AMD GPU :upside_down_face:

Both AMDVLK and RADV work fine with most games, but there are some that work better with AMDVLK or vice versa. It is, luckily, quite easy to have both drivers installed and choose what game or application uses what driver.

:exploding_head: Jesus

Okay, will do thanks :smiley: I had no idea he was a gamer. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Weirdly, vulkaninfo doesn’t work without vulkan-radeon installed. I believe RADV is generally regarded as being superior to AMDVLK.

You can install both AMDVLK & RADV & pick between then via an environmental variable (AMD_VULKAN_ICD) if you wish:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Vulkan#Selecting_Vulkan_driver

If you have both installed then AMDVLK will be selected by default.

2 Likes

Thanks Feakster.

If you have problems with some games missing some of the sounds on recent versions of default Wine / Proton, for now there’s a fix in GloriousEggroll:

-This is a hotfix to restore WMA audio support.

The FAudio author removed GStreamer support – which is needed for WMA playback.

The reason he did it is because WINE is in the process of upstreaming WMA decode support, but the problem is that decode support is not in WINE yet, and since it was removed from FAudio, no WMA audio is working.

This update restores FAudio GStreamer support so that WMA audio is working again.

Rarely games use .wma, i assume it’s some older games connected to M$, but who knows.

Just install RADV and your are good to go: sudo pacman -S lib32-mesa vulkan-radeon lib32-vulkan-radeon vulkan-icd-loader lib32-vulkan-icd-loader

For Hardware Video Acceleration (MPV, VLC): sudo pacman -S libva-mesa-driver

Btw big thanks for @keybreak for making this! Especially “Wine” section blew my mind :exploding_head:

3 Likes

f50914_342494

6 Likes

Headsup for older Nvidia GPU crew!

This is the last planned release before several new Vulkan extensions will be required, most notably VK_KHR_dynamic_rendering.

On GPUs that no longer enjoy active driver support and are limited to 470 drivers, DXVK 1.10.2 may work, but we cannot provide support for issues specific to these drivers.

(c) dxvk v1.10.2

honka_animated-128px-47

So if that’s your case - just force that version of dxvk for all your games in Lutris

2 Likes

This is sorta par for the course with older Nvidia GPU and Radeon 7000 series these days.

You “should” be ok for most older titles and some newer DX11 only titles but anything using DX12 or some DX12 features its a crap shoot if it works/works without broken rendering.

I.E Monster Hunter Rise only works properly on Bonaire and Newer on AMD or Nvidia 900 or newer.

If youre a gamer and are still on a 10yr old GPU try to make it maybe 8yrs instead, maybe a little newer for AMD unless you make 100% certain its not just a GCN 1 re-release

1 Like

does anyone knows what’s the best way to play terraria ? i found some packages on aur but unsure on what they really do, do i need wine or steam to play it ?

you just install it on steam and play, nothing else to it

unless you got it some other way?

2 Likes

dxvk v2.0

honka_animated-128px-40

P.S. Please see compatibility in link above - works only with Wine 7.1 and above :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Wine sucks! :rofl:

dxvk 2.1 :partying_face:

Note: Due to changes to our DXGI implementation, older versions of vkd3d-proton (prior to 2.8 ) will no longer work with this version of DXVK.

3 Likes

I just wanted to add to this topic if anyone else is searching for how to use their xbox one or xbox elite series 1 or series 2 controllers - you need the xpadneo package. Once installed, it worked great!

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xpadneo-dkms-git

1 Like