Linux 6.1 should be the new LTS version, but it doesn't look like this in pacman

Well someone did. There’s absolutely no reason to have two different kernels, that are the same kernel lol.

The userbases are completely different.
People using the LTS kernel won’t use mainline anyway and vice versa.
Issues arising with the update of the LTS package have to be dealt with anyway so now is as good as ever and older kernels aren’t available in the official repos anyway, so the debug-way back has to be downgrade or getting kernels from other sources anyway.
The only thing that’s now a bit more difficult is debugging systems usually running the mainline kernel with a different kernel, but for that one can also activate testing and have a different kernel again.

I’ve always had both kernels, and I know many others who have both, it’s more common than not. It’s a good thing to have in case the other doesn’t work, which makes zero sense if they arent different. So ya, they shouldn’t be the same, someone screwed up on that one. Probably the lts maintainer, since they still also maintain 5.15 and the mainline hasn’t updated still.

4 Likes

I also have the LTS kernel installed, but I never use it.

if fixing bugs is screwing up, then yes, you are right. I already linked the bug reporting that Intel Wifi is broken with 5.15 due to linux-firmware removing support for it and was fixed with 6.1 two times, I won’t post it a third time.
Fixing that bug seemed to be more important than a minor inconvenience for people who have both kernels installed but still use only one of them.

The thing is that some users will benefit from this decision, and some will suffer. Many will not even notice anything else than a new kernel version number.

I’m feeling lucky because my machines are working with all of the latest kernels, including series 5.15, 6.1, and 6.2 (now in testing).
There have been problems a couple or so times in the past, but they have been almost every time just Nvidia issues.

My car doesn’t run on petrol.

That’s convenient, because we also have this petrol.

I know it’s supposed to be different, but, it’s actually the same today.

Perfect, I’ll just push my car. Thanks.

Using an lts kernel is overrated! Sure if you use Ubuntu…that’s what you get. This is Arch based rolling. If your system needs lts then you either have old hardware or you bought the wrong hardware. :laughing:

Edit: I used to run Mint with older hardware and i always used the latest kernels.

My experience long time ago with Ubuntu was they almost never got the LTS kernel for their latest LTS system. Later they provided it as a special update though.
Them having old software always was the reason I started to look at other alternatives.

2 Likes

Updated to linux-lts 6.1.14 this morning, and linux is still stuck at 6.1.12. LTS is where all the action is at right now :nerd_face:

1 Like

Same here! :confused:
Just thinking out loud with you.
I made this thread Set systemd-boot Default to LTS? as I found the system not defaulting to the LTS as used to be/expected.
So, I guess that currently my LTS is ahead of the default, it defaulted to the older (which is the main line not the LTS)

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.