Linux 5.9 kernel released

I saw this!

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=259936

Edit: From Arch AUR for 390.xx

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/nvidia-390xx/

#### gruntz commented on [2020-10-18 07:56](https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/nvidia-390xx/#comment-771017)

This is how I build the package for kernel 5.9:

1) Git clone the "Git Clone URL:" above as usual.
2) Go to https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=259936 and copy the loqs`s patch into the cloned source, and name it, for example, "kernel-5.9.patch"
3) Generate hash sum for the new file with: "sha256sum kernel-5.9.patch" command ( replace filename if needed )
4) Edit "PKGBUILD", and add:
4.1) kernel-5.9.patch to the "source" array;
4.2) add the generated sum to "sha256sums" array;
4.3) add "patch -Np1 -i ../kernel-5.9.patch" in the "prepare()" section;
5) Save file, exit, and makepkg as normal.

Edit: It has it for dkms version also

I’ve updated the AUR package using loqs’ updated patch so 390xx should now “work” for 5.4 and 5.9.

Thank you so much for this @jonathon! The 390xx drivers seem to work fine for both Linux 5.9 and 5.4.

No problems here … AMD Ryzen 7/RX5700XT … everything’s working perfectly; no issues with dkms/digimend/painting, yay. Wizards of Linux have done a great job! :smiley: :+1:t2:

Strangely enough, I am on the 5.9 kernel and not noticing any issues at all so far and I have a 1050ti running the proprietary driver. My system still boots up lighting quick, I think ram usage is slightly less than it was before, and all of the games i have tested so far still perform fine for me. I know i am probably the odd one out and it is advised to downgrade to the previous kernel, but unless it actually starts posing a problem i think i am going to stick with 5.9. Atleast i have regular system snapshots so if something does go wrong i can just revert back.

5.9.1 not looking good here. Running a ryzen 9 3900x and rtx 2070 with the zen kernel. Essentially I am getting freezes, like the keyboard, mouse and graphics are frozen, but audio is fine. For example, if I press numlock, the light stays on. I found a way to unfreeze which is switch tty and comeback. It cost me a ranked game on AOE3DE though.

It’s mainly because of @loqs on the Arch forum who created the patch - I just updated the PKGBUILD.

Have you tried the standard kernel? Zen kernel “sauce” might still need some tweaking?

Well, that’s what the previous package maintainer did, too, he just updated the PKGBUILDs to apply the patches from @loqs and others. So, while it may be a small thing to you, it is no small thing to us who depend on it.

Also it is obviously not a small thing to the previous maintainer as he got fed up doing it, and no TU wants to take those packages, probably for a reason.

Fine. I’ve adopted all the 390xx packages to keep them secure and put a big “THIS PACKAGE NEEDS A MAINTAINER” disclaimer on the AUR pages. If it’s just a case of applying someone else’s patches then I can cope with that until someone else steps up.

I guess for those of us using the 450.xx series we’re going to have to wait?

or LTS :partying_face:

I’m not a big lts user so i just put the kernel on hold. I have the BtrfsonLuks setup with Timeshift and snapshots but i’ll wait.

I’d have thought that anything supported by 450xx should be supported by 455xx ?

Well it might be 455.xx? Nvidia site say’s 450.xx so i went with that. I’m not on that system right now. Using the AMD because it works. :smile_cat:

Someone should buy a nvidia card and send it to Linus, make it a RTX 3090… :smile:

He would throw it in the garbage! :rofl:

In all seriousness Linus uses a Threadripper 3970X with a random RX580 graphics card from my understanding. He’s a coder not a gamer so he wouldn’t have any use for an RTX 3090.

I watched a youtube video in which a guy was copying his build…
We have another option, did you watch the RTX 3000 series release? There was a Japanese guy presenting the new cards, we could install endeavouros in his computer… :laughing: