Linux 5.9 kernel released

seems like it’s till mid november :confused:

3 Likes

Great! Now i can’t update my other Nvidia system and i’ll have to use it on Windoze! :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

Why not use the LTS kernel meanwhile?
beats having to use windows!

2 Likes

I don’t have it installed but i guess i’ll have to or i could just stay with 5.8.14?

I guess you could hold updates for linux and linux-headers with ignorepkg for now, and update the rest…

personally i’d just install lts though… that’s what it’s for, you never know when it comes in handy

Plus, from a security standpoint: LTS continues to get security updates, I’m not so sure about 5.8, now 5.9 is out

I’ve seen some people on Reddit that seem to have no problems on 5.9.1 using the DKMS drivers… Could be worth a try, if you have a means of reverting your system in case of breakage

4 Likes

I’d be one of those having no issues with the DKMS drivers on 5.9.1-arch1-1.

2 Likes

I have nvidia-dkms installed. Hmm? Should i risk it?

do you have a way of reverting your system if anything goes wrong?
timeshift, or heck even clonezilla or something similar?

Ya i have BtrfsonLUKS with Timeshift & Snapshots. Thanks to @2000 :relieved:

1 Like

Never used btrfs, but that means you can just boot into a previous state from GRUB, in case something breaks, right?

1 Like

I just updated to kernel 5.9.1 and indeed nvdec is not working, no other problems noticed…

[marcelo@linux ~]$ uname -a
Linux linux 5.9.1-zen1-1-zen #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Sat, 17 Oct 2020 13:30:42 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

+--+ MPV youtube stream not picking nvdec anymore +--+ 
 (+) Video --vid=1 (h264 1280x720 30.000fps)
 (+) Audio --aid=1 (aac 2ch 48000Hz)
[ffmpeg] AVHWDeviceContext: cu->cuInit(0) failed -> CUDA_ERROR_UNKNOWN: unknown error
[vaapi] libva: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name = (null)
Using hardware decoding (vdpau-copy).   <<<<<<<

But it’s working…

1 Like

Its mostly opencl/cuda broken but graphics seems to “work” but who can be certain of issues without testing it much

2 Likes

Up to you, but if I had seen that before doing the update I would of waited.

I just installed the LTS & have it available in the Grub menu…

1 Like

Cuda is not working—at least BOINC is reporting that “No GPUs are available”

Yes, it’s not working, but for what I usually do, it’s ok.
Hope I don’t need to encode using handbrake until this is fixed…

The issues with NVIDIA and kernel 5.9 are known, have been known for a while, and will be fixed “at some point”.

I don’t understand why this is being made into a bigger issue than it should be, this is exactly the reason why the linux-lts kernel package exists (and why Linus presented NVIDIA with a certain finger).

No - install linux-lts and use that until the driver is properly supported by 5.9.

13 Likes

Thanks for the heads up on this.

1 Like

I’m glad I saw this info on Phoronix today before I updated

1 Like

I use AMD, btw… (ducking) :grin:

2 Likes