Liftoff for the net-installer!

Same from where I live now. Fiber is 10 meters away from my appartment!

Thought I would give it a go on the new installer. Was going to use the net-installer option, yet Iā€™m fond of XFCE so I just did an offline installation. The installation was flawless (or should I say ā€˜Nominalā€™), and everything just works! Well done to all involved!

Oh yes. In the installation, I saw a collage of some of us in the installation slide show, as well as some art work by one of our very own! Very well put together presentation I have to say.

Also in a few weeks: Iā€™ll be traveling to Florida to visit my parents. Hopefully while Iā€™m in Florida, Iā€™ll get to visit NASA/Kennedy Space Center and take some photos of some previous space vehicles that were in service at one point. Once I return from that trip, Iā€™ll hopefully have some photos to use as a background and Iā€™ll post them here for all of you to see (and use if you so desire). Might even get to see a live launch as well (fingers crossed). Needless to say Iā€™ll get some video of that - if it happens - and also post it.

The hard work definitely paid off to all involved. This is a distro worthy to be used daily.

8 Likes

just installed gnome in a VM and the installer works great. the only issue that I have is how do I 1) turn off the eos-welcome app from starting every time I log in? Also thereā€™s no icon for it in the gnome dash which would be nice if I wanted to run it agian

Thanks @ve9cbc, in case you could take pictures from the neck very closed or some texture of material from a space shuttle or anything about space that I could use in the next steps of EndeavourOS would be neat !

I wish You a very good trip there.

1 Like

If you click on the ā€œhelpā€ button it tells you how to switch it off (by the console).

1 Like

Many ways to do it, but any easy one with these terminal commands:

eos-welcome --disable
  eos-welcome --enable

You can also run eos-welcome manually:

eos-welcome

and if needed, copy the /etc/xdg/welcome.desktop file to where your DE supports having it in the menus.

1 Like

exactly what I was looking for thanks. might be nice if that was a checkbox or button on the app.The help says its a button on some DEā€™s but apparently not gnome

Currently the button exists for KDE only.

On Xfce you can configure the autostart apps with xfce4-session-settings, but now I donā€™t have Gnome install available to check a similar app for Gnomeā€¦ Oh it must be gnome-tweaks and see Startup Applications. :slight_smile:

I added the disabling button into welcome (version 2.0-6) also on Gnome. That makes it easier to disable the welcome app. It will give instructions on how to enable it later.

Okay. When I come back from my trip, Iā€™ll contact you and send you the photos I have taken.

Many thanks for the well wishes as well. Itā€™s going to be a healing trip as well for me. The Challenger accident is still clear in my mind. Might even get to meet one of the people in Mission Control when the accident happened.

Thank You so much @ve9cbc, it will serve a lot for EndeavourOS.
If you saw picture during the Eos take off yesterday, the countdown is the real oneā€¦
I checked the countdown right now on the Kennedy Space Center 17DAYS :00HRS :58MINS for the next launchā€¦

About Challenger accident, I would like to show you something that changed my mind about it ! On direct message donā€™t hesitate to exchange about it.

1 Like

I had a chance to look into things.

I played around with the network manager until I got my wired connection to stay up. Then, I retried the online install ā€“ giving things more time to run (as suggested). This time it worked. Took a bit of time, but everything got installed.

Happy Days!

6 Likes

I just finished an installation with the netinstaller. The installation was done on real hardware with manually partitioning (boot/swap/encrypted root) the harddrive. The installation was done in changing the default DE to Gnome, without installing parts of XFCE. And I am very happy to say, that everything went fine. The system is up and running within less then half an hour.

Great job everybody!

8 Likes

Have been here in Zephyrhills FL for the last week. Didnā€™t get to NASA during my stay FLVAL; parents already had my stay & visits planned before my visit. Should have known. Oh well - it was relaxing from the grocery store produce clerk job I do every day.

However my stay has produced a few photos. One is of some sand cranes in flight,one is an old 1946 Pontiac 6. Hope all of you can use these as your backgrounds. Enjoy!!

The birds in the tree are vultures. A Gecko also appears on a parking lot stopper.IMG_20200114_095230|690x388 IMG_20200113_113206 IMG_20200113_113220 IMG_20200112_174638 IMG_20200112_140345 IMG_20200111_110949 IMG_20200110_101531

2 Likes

Thanks Trevor to share your pictures, what this Geko is doing there, it seems to like Yellow !
Vultures, You are lucky to see them in real.