Kernel Version: 5.12.14-arch1-1

OS Type 64-bit

Graphics Platform: X11

Hardware:

Intel Core i7-4790

GPU GTX 970 (proprietary drivers)

Smaller previous issue:

would be gratefull for any help

It could be proprietary drivers. BUT I was having some screen tearing a while ago, and I didn’t have transparency. These are my settings if you want to give it a go.

Screenshot_20210708_161509

xrender does definitly fix the problem but it does unfortunatly break transperancy (and hence kinda spoiling themes like antdark):

Also when I used breeze-dark I lacked these issues presumably since the theme didn’t use the transperancy effect.

I now have antdark up working fine. . . so it’s not that.

Have you tried the LTS kernel? I’m having no issue on 5.10.48.

Also - it could be nvidia. I HATE nvidia. I’ll never spend a dollar on a computer with it, or anything they make.

I haven’t tried the LTS Kernal but I have had similar issues when older versions of Manjaro a year ago (before switching to Endevour) and debian buster with kde plasma.

The reason I’m more keen on nvidia being the issue is odley reinstalling the proprietary drivers with nvidia-dkms fixes the issues but the trade off is kwin_x11 starts to use 50-60% of my cpu and animations become choppy until the blur effects are disabled.

Are you running a intel iGPU or AMD based system?

Lenovo T480s

Screenshot_20210708_170015

1 Like

Yeah its looks like a nvidia bug after all :slightly_frowning_face:

I guess filing an upstream bug report may be one option. That said do you know where the source code for nvidia-installer-dkms is? I tried looking on endevour OS’s github but the repo looks archived/deleted
https://github.com/endeavouros-team/nvidia-installer-dkms

The high cpu usage and issue fix is the only part that bothers me and that I haven’t seen on manjaro (more cause this wasn’t even an option).

Edit found the new source code:

1 Like

source code? Nvidia is not an open source project. So in the words of Linus Torvalds - F*** Nvidia.

Although - I did find this in the AUR - maybe worth giving a shot for you, and it looks like it was just updated.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/nvidia-dkms-performance

You’ve maxed my Nvidia knowledge though. I know very little, and that’s already more than I care to know about that right trash product.