Known issue of booting straigtht to windows after a dual boot. How to load GRUB using bcdedit in Windows

Hi

I just finished dual booting the latest image with Windows 10. Very smooth experience and everything worked fine. Amazing job! I am from the Manjaro world where I always used the root tip command to enable grub with this command as explained in the Manjaro WIKI

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\manjaro\grubx64.efi

I can see from a live usb that endavouros was successfully added to the bootloaders

[liveuser@eos-2021.11.30 ~]$ efibootmgr
BootCurrent: 0003
Timeout: 1 seconds
BootOrder: 0003,0000,0002
Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager
Boot0002* endeavouros-1442
Boot0003* UEFI: VendorCoProductCode 2.00, Partition 2

What is the equivalent of that command for EndavourOS to enable grub to take over the booting sequence here like I used to do with Manjaro? Thanks in advance

My advice would be to install bootloader from EOS to separate EFI partition and than changing it from UEFI as primary boot target.

If you installed EndeavourOS properly it would already automatically have Windows in the grub bootloader with EndeavourOS.

The fact that you ask, while you are providing data that the solution is obvious to a standard Linux user, means you have chosen not to spend any of your life time to read Linux usage documentation.
Even if I give you the answer, you should still try to spend some of your extremely valuable time on reading technical documentation. …or hire a system administrator for your devices…

• Choice #1

This Manjaro file path is from your system’s $ESP partition.
Find the EOS equivalent and replace the path in the command.

• Choice #2

Use the Live USB to boot and use efibootmgr to make EOS the 1st OS to boot, using the appropriate command parameter (run man efibootmgr in a Linux terminal, for usage instructions).
Example:

efibootmgr -o 2,3,0

Good luck!

It actually detected Windows no issues. The main issue I figured out later was that the motherboard moved eos grub (which contains eos and windows bootmgrs) below the windows boot manager that came with windows so it never hit eos grub.

All I had to do was change the boot order and all is well :slight_smile:

That’s quite a bold assumption. I had been using Linux distros for some time. Just been a while. No need to be condescending? It hurts the brilliant image of EOS :wink:

2 Likes

Then my comments didn’t hurt you :wink:
But the future readers may benefit, so no harm, but probable gain :+1: .

I hope future readers are only be interested in the solution and not be afraid of asking questions for such responses :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just keep in mind that we’re not big fans of salt here, it’s not like old green forum, or god forbid arch… :grin:

P.S. Long time no see :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yes. Sometimes you have to do that. I use rEFInd also and it becomes a boot entry in UEFI so you have to change the boot order to rEFInd. This can happen with drives also depending on which drive stuff gets installed to because there is a kind of a hierarchy to the installed drives if you have multiple m.2 and ssd etc. I was just pointing out that normally grub would have the Windows entry if os-prober is installed and everything works according to how it’s supposed to work on the install. :wink:

1 Like

Have you done anything fruitful with EOS documentation yet? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oh no! :laughing:

I stick to writing FAQ threads / Guides / Articles on forum, as most people land up here anyway, it looks like more suitable for something that is almost identical to Arch :upside_down_face:

It’s easier to quote FAQ thread or direct commands while citing a source, be it :enos: wiki, Arch wiki or just vast sea of internet… :pensive:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.