Keyboard randomly stops working

So the issue is, my keyboard (more specifically all of the usb-plugs that i have on the back of the pc [and i know that because went i plug the keyboard/mouse on the front it works just like normal]) stop working some time after boot (some times it takes a long time, some times not), and i can’t replicate it, the thing just stops working.

I had this issue for some months now but it really started to get annoying wen i installed endeavouros on my new ssd. And i thing that i’ve notice is that more often than not the keyboard stops when i’m playing games with my friends (rocket league and cs:go to be more specific).

i don’t know if this is helpful but here is my computers specs: https://0x0.st/oULN.txt
when this problem occurs again i will try to send the journal log

Well this may be obvious, but it sounds like something in power management (sleeping an idle USB port maybe). Does this happen in other distros on the same machine and/or Windows? I don’t have a solution but finding commonality or difference would point you in a direction (but maybe not a solution).

That will definitely be useful… Have you tried lts kernel? It can be installed along mainline and selected at boot.

Welcome to the community :grin:

Edit: just in case infos here

Have you tried lts kernel?

i have not, but this could be it, i will try it and bring back with a update, thanks for he help :slight_smile:

1 Like

i have not tried another distro, but i could. what distro should i try? any distro, or one arch based?

To my opinion, trying another distro is highly unlikely to solve your problem on eos.

So, i’ve tried to install lts kernel, but it didn’t work, it got stuck just before the initialization, and another thing that is happening to my pc, my keyboard also don’t work on the initialization (meaning that i can’t access my motherboard) and it does not work on grub, meaning that i had to roll back a save of mine to get the right boot order on grub (with the tty)

lsusb would show some info on usb devices…
and you can check the journal also for past events…
journalctl --since "2 hours ago" | grep usb per example

lsusb would show some info on usb devices

https://0x0.st/oUVu.txt

and you can check the journal also for past events

ok, i’m just waiting for the my keyboard to fail again so i can sent it here, but as i said, is very randon, so this could take hours, or multiple days, but i will do my best to try recreating it

sorry I don’t understand what you are trying to say and what you are rolling back. But also sorry it didn’t work out as expected.

Did you follow both steps:

1. sudo pacman -S linux-lts linux-lts-headers
  2. grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Before rebooting?

You should then have two options to choose in grub, one is linux and the other linux-lts. If you are stuck you can reboot (or switch to tty and reboot) and select the other kernel. That should work on any arch distro…

1 Like

what you are rolling back

i’m rolling back into a backup that i did before installing linux-lts (using timeshift), because i was getting stuck on the tty

Did you follow both steps: Before rebooting?

yep

have two options to choose in grub

true, but i can’t chose any, because my keyboard does not work in grub.

and another thing, when i installed linux-lts it got loaded automatic by grub, and it wasn’t loading the system (and i’m sorry if you can’t understand some of what i’m saying, i’m not a native english speaker)

Ok. Normally thats not necessary, we can troubleshoot on tty or chroot into arch using the live eos usb if you still have it. Sorry that happened never to me or anyone advised to install both kernels. Something strange going on with your hardware here.

No worries, I was just making sure I understand and trying to help.

Edit: wondering if it had anything to do with your nvidia that you couldnt boot. But if your keyboard doesnt work in grub and at boot, I assume there is not much you can do outside of your main system. But again that is strange, never encountered this issue.

Edit 2: it may be a stupid suggestion, but try to connect your keyboard into another usb on boot if not already done so, to make sure you can use it at boot or in grub.

Your best bet is to get the journal log next time it freezes your usb I assume.

1 Like

wondering if it had anything to do with your nvidia that you couldnt boot

pretty sure thats the problem, i’ve had a similar problem with nvidia before. Thank you for bring that up, i had forgot about it.

it may be a stupid suggestion, but try to connect your keyboard into another usb on boot if not already done so, to make sure you can use it at boot or in grub

i have tried before, but there is no harm in trying again. and i will try to install linux-lts one more time (i think i know how to fix it now)

Your best bet is to get the journal log next time it freezes your usb I assume.

true, it has not happened since i open this issue. But when it does i sure will sent it here

1 Like

I am a bit ignorant with Nvidia special settings, altough I run a hybrid intel/nvidia on one computer. @ricklinux will be more knowledgable. But just looking up the arch wiki you can set a custom setting to make sure your card settings get picked up.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA

Thats what I found there

A basic configuration block in 20-nvidia.conf (or deprecated in xorg.conf) would look like this:

In here:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf

Section "Device"
        Identifier "NVIDIA Card"
        Driver "nvidia"
        VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BoardName "GeForce GTX 1050 Ti"
EndSection

Edit: just for the record I suggested the LTS kernel, because it commonly fixes some driver issues that one can encounter in the mainline kernel. But it doesn’t always work.

1 Like

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

• Device 004: ID 1bcf:0005 Sunplus Innovation Technology Inc. Optical Mouse

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

• no device added

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

• Device 003: ID 258a:0049 BY Tech Gaming Keyboard
  • Device 002: ID 0a67:8c01 Medeli Electronics Co., Ltd USB LCS AUDIO

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

• no device added

Not that it will be the cause of the issue but looks like all devices are plugged into usb2 ports

you can set a custom setting to make sure your card settings get picked up

ok, i will take a look at it

just for the record I suggested the LTS kernel, because it commonly fixes some driver issues that one can encounter in the mainline kernel. But it doesn’t always work.

i mean, is worth at least trying

Not that it will be the cause of the issue but looks like all devices are plugged into usb2 ports

true, i think i only have 2/3 usb3 ports (i had things plugged in them, but i since removed to see if that resolved the problem)

update, with this i manage to start the LST kernel, now it just time will tell if this worked or not, so thank you guys for all the help you have been given me :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.