Kernel 5.8.1 now on Stable

Just did my nightly sudo pacman -Syu before bed and saw that I had a few kernel updates! So if you too are dangerously addicted to updating, you may find that you have some kernel updates in your future. :grin:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Nice, time to install!

1 Like

no issue here as far as i can see

2 Likes

I installed this kernel updates and my thinkpad X240 is super slow on 5.8.1

from telegram channel :cold_face:

For nvidia-390xx-dkms users

The AUR package nvidia-390xx-dkms is not yet updated for kernel 5.8. If you have an older Nvidia card that needs the 390 driver, wait until the AUR package gets updated (hopefully in a few days), or your system will be unbootable.

Also, a good idea is to install linux-lts kernel, just so you can boot in case you do update.

EDIT: It’s okay to update now.

The driver in the AUR has been updated, everything works fine. :+1:

9 Likes

"+ 1"

Ultrabox Dell 5423 inspiron 14z → Ok.
Pc-Desktop → Ok.

:maté: :wink:

1 Like

The X240 is a great machine, but it is also very particular (the whole X series btw) perhaps it is caused by the RAM, the X240 has only a single RAM module, so perhaps changing DE would help, LTS kernel or upgrading the RAM of course. (but it’s 6 year old machine, so they might have to search the internet for it)

3 Likes

no issues on ageing Macbook Pro and mini :blush:

he already have LTS and machine works fine with it :wink:

1 Like

Luckily the 5.8.1 kernel finally solved the “black screen after login” problem on my Netbook. That one now runs fine with the latest kernel. Had to run lts kernel for most of the time while 5.7 was actual.
As I do have an older Nvidia card on my desktop, I do have an unbootable system. I’m going to use lts kernel on this one until 390 driver is patched for latest kernel.
In the end I already expected some issues with that update on my desktop. Especially regarding Nvidia driver.

Just updated to Kernel 5.8.1 on my system. It also includes updates for nvidia 450 and virtualbox-host module. All have no issues.

I noticed Psensor now monitors 2 fans instead of 1 under kernel 5.7. :smiley:

1 Like

Something’s up with Bluetooth audio. Samsung soundbar has trouble connecting with 5.8. Might be the same issues as https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/67502

1 Like

Also here, as far as I can see so far, everything is fine with 5.8, except what confuses me a bit: why does the kernel update to the new line happen automatically? What do I have to do in the future if I want to stay with the LTS kernel, for example? My hardware is not so new that I always have to have the latest kernel.

If you have multiple kernels installed, you’ll get the choice on boot of which kernel to use, be it the LTS or current, and if you have it installed, the Zen kernel too :slight_smile:

Thanks, but that’s not what mine is. I don’t like being suddenly pushed into the latest kernel. Up to now I have always thought of it as manually switching to a newer kernel as soon as I found it appropriate myself.

Hi @anon14644943

I usually recommend users keep more than one kernel installed at all times. For times exactly like this. This way if a new kernel release causes issues you can fall back to another kernel, boot the system (if un-bootable) , and come here for help.

I keep the mainline kernel (latest), Linux-zen, and Linux-lts at all times.

If you would like to install the Linux-lts kernel along side Linux latest:

sudo pacman linux-lts linux-lts-headers

Then

systemctl reboot

There should now be two kernel entries in grub to choose from.

edit fixed formatting.

4 Likes

Thanks @BONK exactly the same way I have always held it so far. But I was surprised that after installing 5.8, 5.7 was gone as well (at least that’s what akm shows). I had planned to wait until the next LTS kernel (5.9) and then stop on it. If the old kernel is removed with the new one, that is quite strange 

Ah, this is Arch, not Manjaro. Here there are no separate packages for each kernel version. Here you have linux (which is the latest, 5.8) and linux-lts (which is 5.4).

2 Likes

Oh 
 then how can I keep an older kernel in reserve?

Only the latest and the LTS?