KDE's August 2020 Apps Update

Oh look, lots of P-R-E-C-I-O-U-S goodies!

Dozens of KDE apps are getting new releases from KDE’s release service. New features, usability improvements, re-designs and bug fixes all contribute to helping boost your productivity and making this new batch of applications more efficient and pleasant to use.

Here’s what you can look forward to.

12 Likes

TIL I can have a terminal inside Dolphin. That is good to know.

1 Like

Oh yes, that’s why I like Dolphin so much. Just press F4.

You can do the same in Kate, by the way, which is very useful for manually compiling stuff, like when writing a LATEX document, for example.

2 Likes

Hopefully, some of the extras wont be released as flatpaks or snaps…

1 Like

I really don’t understand why some people are totally negative about flatpak and snap. I use both of them on my Desktop in some cases. I also use Appimages if necessary. That’s the good thing about Linux. You can decide whether you want to use certain features/techniques or not. There is no need to bash that stuff.

1 Like

This week in KDE: Tons and tons and tons of Plasma 5.20 features, bugfixes, and UI improvements

Plasma now warns you when your hard disk or SSD is about to die, and lets you monitor its health in the Info Center app.

And more…

5 Likes

Wow - that’s mega-cool, i’ve been making my own scripts for this :yum:
Better safe, than sorry!

2 Likes

Right? Such a handy feature…plasma keeps getting better.

3 Likes

For me it’s simply the fact, that the AUR does all of that already. For arch, except for certain cases, it seems a bit pointless to use yet another package manager.

1 Like

Oh boy, where to even start? :joy:

Well, with Flatpak, because it’s a much lesser evil of the two. In fact, it’s not really that bad. The only issue I have with the concept of flatpaks is that they statically link all or most of their dependencies and do not integrate well with the system. The obvious downside of statically linking dependencies is that flatpaks use a lot of disk space. A less obvious, but perhaps more serious disadvantage is that older versions of dependencies may lack security fixes. But in spite of that, the concept is not necessarily bad in every situation, because sometimes you want to be able to have separate versions of dependencies. However, I find the AppImage format to be far superior for that. :man_shrugging:

Snaps, however, are an entirely different issue, due to snapd, which is spyware. When I say that snaps are spyware, I don’t mean individual applications, even though malware has been found again and again in snap packages, but I mean snapd itself. It has telemetry that cannot be disabled, and it collects identifiable information about you not only every time you install a snap package, but also every time you use it (it collects usage statistics, per user, per package). While snapd running on your machine is open source, the server side of it is proprietary. All of this data is collected by Canonical and you only have their word that they are not going to abuse it (for example sell it to a third party to serve you ads, or even worse). Canonical’s word regarding privacy is of little worth, given their history.

There is little advantage to using snaps over flatpaks, but there is this huge privacy issue, so if you are using snaps, my advice is to stop and find an alternative. Most of the software that is available as snaps and flatpaks is also in the AUR, which is a completely transparent system and, if you are careful and know what you’re doing, perfectly safe.

I hope this has shed some light on why people are often negative about flatpaks, and especially snaps. There are legitimate concerns, it is certainly not all bashing and irrational hate.

18 Likes

Who’s lily pad is this left on the podium? @Kresimir :smirk:

I would echo the statement that most of the software is available in AUR. I used flatpaks and Snaps occasionally on that other green distro. I was always contacting the AUR maintainers when I had issues with installing/updating AUR packages, thus turning to flatpak/Snapd as an alternative solution. Thankfully, those same AUR packages on EOS, I have not experienced an issue thus far, which now makes me wonder if it was the other distro’s issue (stable release freezes?) all along disrupting AUR’s packages.

2 Likes

I’ve no idea, I rarely had any issues with AUR packages. Before installing anything from the AUR, I look up the package at aur.archlinux.org, especially if it is well maintained and recently updated, and I read the comments there. I also inspect the PKGBUILD file when installing it and look at the differences when updating. I love the transparency and the simplicity of that system (simplicity here not meaning being simple to use, but having a simple structure and few components that can all be understood).

4 Likes

Among others things for the reasons given above, Mint developers have decided to say goodbye to the snaps handling. Canonical is aggressively promoting its vision of software distribution and adding to this the desire to have a monopoly on running a software store is unacceptable for Mint developers.
From the blog.linuxmint.com:

“Ubuntu is planning to replace the Chromium repository package with an empty package which installs the Chromium snap. In other words, as you install APT updates, Snap becomes a requirement for you to continue to use Chromium and installs itself behind your back. This breaks one of the major worries many people had when Snap was announced and a promise from its developers that it would never replace APT.”

Although I use the green distro very occasionally, I like their approach in this area.

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with flatpaks. Matter of fact KDE is in the process of making all their apps available as flatpaks,.

I said I don’t understand the bashing of certain technologies. I didn’t say I don’t know, how stuff works. Everything in life comes with a price. I don’t buy goods if I don’t know the price. If I don’t know it I simply do some research and gather information.
The point is that you always have the opportunity to choose.
And Canonical is not the only company with a bad reputation. How many people use Virtualbox? How many people use Chrome and Google? How many people buy Apple stuff? I could go on and on.
In most cases you have at least one alternative you might like.

Just one word to one of your points.

That is exactly the idea behind it. You don’t have to cope with dependecies or package names (which often differ between distros). No troubleshooting if your distribution offers outdated or broken packages. That might be the perfect solution for people who do not want to or have the time to dig deeper in the system. And disc space isn’t near to a problem nowadays.
I give you the point that AppImage could be the better (in our point of view) solution. But a lot of applications offer only snap or flatpak.

Maybe we just have a different point of view on things.
:beers:

And now I’m going to have a closer look why the latest version of shortwave in AUR is not willing to build (problem with libhandy). :wink:

1 Like

I’m not a big fan of snaps or flatpaks either but if i had to choose it would probably be flatpak.

2 Likes