KDE Plasma 5.27 is here

???

Its new in the beta, you need the flatpak-kcm. Assuming thatā€™s what the question marks mean

1 Like

It does depend on the distro. On Nutyx (one point release or so off in Plasma v5.26) when I open KWrite sometimes it claims to be full screen when it actually occupies half the screen. :person_facepalming:

I had to disable the ā€œwelcomeā€ session screen for boh Kate and KWrite. Also no text labels possible for toolbar buttons on Kate, because I was starting to get used to it.

In addition, no scrollbars in system settings dialog, and must shovel the Wifi internet connection (but better than nothing on XFCE). I should be glad it boots and displays desktop successfully, and on this particular distro it shuts down the fastest.

This is just rambling. The upcoming release then version might not care about it.

OH BOY, maybe hold off on trying kde-unstable for gaming because im getting absolutely insane stuttering in games with it. The UI and everything else is golden, games are having a fit though.

OH BOY, maybe hold off on trying kde-unstable for gaming because im getting absolutely insane stuttering in games with it.

Interesting, I have the opposite experience. I noticed that the compositor now defaults to smoothest animations, what if you set it to lowest latency?

Guys I think I did something wrong :sweat_smile:

KDE Plasma Version: 5.28.80
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.102.0
Qt Version: 5.15.8
Kernel Version: 6.1.7-zen1-1-zen (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland

From kde-beyond repo?

1 Like

Changing any compositor settings didnā€™t do anything for games. Everything but games ran great though

Is it worth checking for / reporting a bug?
https://bugs.kde.org/

Possibly, id need to look more into the exact cause though

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using version 5.26.5 , quite stable though Iā€™ve spot some trivial bugs like

• sometimes, desktop icons are placed on docked screens randomly on each startup
  • some panel texts get bold/medium out of the blue
  • kdewallet popup by default ( a feature might be a bug :lying_face:)
  • docked screen gets distorted on logouts( which I use rather rarely, hence no problem )

not seeing seeing flatpak-kcm.

Its in the KDE-Unstable Repo, no sure why you cant find it
https://archlinux.org/packages/kde-unstable/x86_64/flatpak-kcm/

1 Like

Did another mirror refresh and it showed up, installed, and working. Intentional or not got to love the salvo KDE took across Canonicalā€™s / Ubuntuā€™s bow in regards to snaps.

1 Like

Iā€™m a full blown Plasmatoider! :crazy_face: But I am going to wait for the official release, so I can let all the chat about it accumulate, and make installing it a bigger deal! :partying_face:

1 Like

It might be better then to keep on v5. How word gets around very quickly even for a typo like that.

What has been happening to me are only small annoyances but not in older releases of Plasma, such as Neptune and Spiral. Although a few times a modal dialog on Neptune could flash crazily with black. Also the ā€œairplaneā€ key doesnā€™t work for my laptop on Spiral, have to open the network notification tab to enable or disable Wifi. As Iā€™ve said, small annoyances.

Almost forgot to mention that Iā€™m reliant on Wine and I use OpenMPT to compose music. A few times on EndeavourOS KDE, one of the views of that Windows application starts drawing text labels in black whole, and it stays that way no matter how many times refreshing, or minimizing then maximizing. Must quit the program totally and try again. In the very least I have these ugly black horizontal bars over the status bar. But that also happens on ArcoLinux with XFCE, for example. :slight_smile:

There is no typo, I installed kde-git-meta from Chaotic AUR and unexpectedly ended up with development branch instead of beta.

PROOF of the 5.28.8 cause the next version right after 5.27.0 will be 6.0 so I donā€™t see them using 5.28.8 for their prerelease number prior to 6.0ā€™s release.

i might remove the first image, idk if thats appropriate for this forum. The second one is fine

3 Likes

So i tried the updates from kde-unstable but it draws in packages i do not want in order to see some changes. I personally like my kde install the way it is with eos. I donā€™t think it will change my currently installed system much other than updating it to version 5.27. Mostly it would remain similar to what it is. So Iā€™m staying with that because as much as i would like to see the tiling etc i donā€™t want to change all of what i have. Iā€™ve gone back to my normal eos kde plasma install until the final release and weā€™ll see.

5 Likes