KDE not install dependency kdeplasma-addons

i think one part here is that most distributions do ship plasma in full “bloat” mode installing everything possible needed… same as for GNOME, but following the main goal of the endeavor we do start, we work hard on setting up a functional minimal setup for all Desktop installs to start with in most cases this setup is everything a user may need on a daily usage, in other cases it may is to install everything to full load all little things a Desktop can offer.
And there is may a user installing the office application used to use… an email programm e.t.c that’s the
idea…

But caused by the fact most plasma installs will come with everything installed users do not know about the fact that features come in with packages… they only see there is something missing :wink:

So having some wiki about how other packages can bring in such features you may need is what we need in our endeavour to stay minimal.

5 Likes

I’ll post a topic as a starting point for this later today.

5 Likes

Topic created here:

3 Likes

Not being a KDE type myself - I find I only know of one thing that kdeplasma-addons brings. Is there mention of what else it can do for the user who might want it?

I tend to think of the need as being for something under a heading: What you may want to do after installing KDE - and including a minimal guide to addons and places to look for theming (which is ONE of the reasons I don’t KDE! :grin: )

Happy to insert whatever results into the wiki when its ready…

1 Like

I use KDE and i don’t even know half the stuff that could be installed. I don’t miss it because I’m not aware of it and i don’t compare other distro’s to EndeavourOS because they are all bloat as @keybreak say’s. :rofl:

Edit: The fact is i don’t need to use everything KDE such as Kmail or Kongueror etc. I use other packages such as Firefox and Thunderbird for email etc. I just need a base install of Kde Plasma and then pick and choose other packages.

4 Likes

One reason I don’t know about these things is that most conceivable features and widgets are already handled by Conky on my setups… :grin:

Yes, that means I’m lazy that way…:sleeping_bed:

I have never done Conky! I am also too lazy! :laughing:

I recently got into it. Just copied a good config and modified it a bit. It isn’t that hard

There are other guides for this elsewhere on the internet - they could be linked at the end of the Wiki entry.

1 Like