[KDE - Kate Text Editor] Strange sidebar icon behavior, only some/one is missing, others showing correctly

Hey guys,

after gathering a bit of Linux experience with a lot of distro hopping over the last few years I’m now trying to run Linux or more specifically EndavourOS as my daily driver for the first time, and I have to say up until now the experience was more than awesome and smooth. A big thumps up for the distro and community around it. Almost everything works works as expected with minimal clutter and effort.

I say almost everything because since yesterday there is this strange bug in my Kate text editor where all icons (or at least I guess all icons because I haven’t noticed anything else missing) except the “Open…” dialog / “Documents” and “File System” sidebar icons (all use the same icon as far as I know) are displayed correctly.

Screenshot_20220406_134432

Changing my icon theme to Oxygen makes the icon reappear again, although differently looking than before, while changing it back to Breeze (Dark) or the one I plan to use, Candy Icons, will make it vanish again. I already tried to clear my .kcache files and to reinstall Kate. Nothing seems to help.

Anyone here’s got any ideas? This is driving me crazy because everything else seems to work without problems and I just can’t wrap my head around what would cause this behavior with only one icon in one specific application.

I probably should mention that the icon was displayed correctly for a short while after setting up my theme and icons and the only thing I did what could have triggered it was changing the color profile of Kate, even if I don’t seem to get how this would cause an icon to go missing. Changing it back to “Default” or “Breeze Dark” also isn’t bringing the icon back.

I prefer not to have those icons at all, it just clutters up my workspace. This is how my Kate looks like:

But with the default Breeze theme, everything looks correct, all the icons are there.

@Leya, welcome aboard.

For Candy icons, maybe you need to report the issue on github:
https://github.com/EliverLara/candy-icons

For default Breeze icons, you can try to reinstall with sudo pacman -S breeze-icons, but this seems to be an old bug, specially on non KDE desktops or (maybe) QT libraries (and dependencies) not up to date.

Take a look at this post on Arch forum, it could be useful for you.

1 Like

Guess I should have included that in the original post but I’m running the KDE Plasma desktop stack that was directly installed with the Plasma desktop bundle trough the Endavour OS installer. So if a QT lib is missing I guess this lib should be included in the bundle. Could you point me in the right direction where to look for what dependencies to install? If I look in the arch package repo I guess I won’t find anything new as pacman should pull those in automatically right? I’ve also ran pacman -Syu and pacman -S breeze-icons so everything is up to date already but the issue still persists. I don’t think that this is a bug with candy-icons either as those fall back to breeze for missing icons and as I mentioned, the icon was there for like half an hour and suddenly vanished as I was playing around with the Kate color theme option and is still broken once I set the icons back to breeze. I will take a look at the link that you mentioned but I don’t think this should apply to my issue as I’m running Plasma.

Oh and just to be sure, this is how the icon is supposed to look with default breeze icons right?
kate

And if it helps, this is the output I get when I run kate from the terminal

Icon theme "gnome" not found.
Icon theme "ubuntu-mono-dark" not found.
Icon theme "Mint-X" not found.
Icon theme "elementary" not found.
kf.sonnet.core: Sonnet: Unable to load plugin "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_aspell.so" Error: "Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_aspell.so: (libaspell.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"
kf.sonnet.core: Sonnet: Unable to load plugin "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_hspell.so" Error: "Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_hspell.so: (libhspell.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"
kf.sonnet.core: Sonnet: Unable to load plugin "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_hunspell.so" Error: "Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_hunspell.so: (libhunspell-1.7.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"
kf.sonnet.core: Sonnet: Unable to load plugin "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_voikko.so" Error: "Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_voikko.so: (libvoikko.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"
kf.sonnet.core: Sonnet: Unable to load plugin "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_aspell.so" Error: "Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_aspell.so: (libaspell.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"
kf.sonnet.core: Sonnet: Unable to load plugin "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_hspell.so" Error: "Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_hspell.so: (libhspell.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"
kf.sonnet.core: Sonnet: Unable to load plugin "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_hunspell.so" Error: "Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_hunspell.so: (libhunspell-1.7.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"
kf.sonnet.core: Sonnet: Unable to load plugin "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_voikko.so" Error: "Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_voikko.so: (libvoikko.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"
kf.sonnet.core: Sonnet: No speller backends available!
kf.sonnet.core: No language dictionaries for the language: "en_US" trying to load en_US as default
kf.sonnet.core: No language dictionaries for the language: "en_US"
kf.sonnet.core: No language dictionaries for the language: "en_US" trying to load en_US as default
Qt: Session management error: networkIdsList argument is NULL
Icon theme "ubuntu-mono-dark" not found.
Icon theme "Mint-X" not found.
Icon theme "elementary" not found.

Hm …, now that you mention it, I have the same problem. Have it only so far probably simply overlooked.

Yeah I almost overlooked it too. At one point I wasn’t even sure if this is the right icon as it doesn’t even look that unfitting, especially if you compare it to the “New” icon in the “File” menu, but seeing the Kate screenshot in the KDE store and my memory convinced me that it looks different with default breeze icons indeed. :slight_smile:

Yes, all dependencies should be included. If your system is up to date, my guess is that themes you’ve tried doesn’t include the icons for Kate and you’ll need to ask for a fix on corresponding github page, but if it has a fallback to “Default” or “Breeze icons”, then maybe you need to remove Kate, its dependencies and config files sudo pacman -Runs kate and reinstall again.

1 Like

How do you get kate to look like that? Dark?

Well, however, the problem is also with me and I have never installed another theme. But since I never noticed it, I can’t say since which update the icons look like this. I have now about 3 months EOS KDE installation here and never used any other theme than the default (also not dark).

1 Like

From candy-icons index.theme:

[Icon Theme]
Name=candy-icons
Comment=Sweet gradient icons.
Inherits=breeze-dark,gnome,ubuntu-mono-dark,Mint-X,elementary,gnome,hicolor
FollowsColorScheme=true

so it should fallback to breeze-icons I guess. I’ll try to run pacman -Runs kate when I find the time and report back if that helps.

So running pacman -Runs kate and pacman -Sy kate after that didn’t help either. Do I manually need to remove every config file or does pacman -Runs kate already do that. What exactly is the difference to pacman -R kate?

pacman -Runs kate should have deleted all config files. But, wait a minute, I’m testing kate on KDE Neon in VirtualBox, I’ve opened this morning and those icons look exactly the same as the screenshot on your firs post. Yes, I’ve been messing around with themes. :rofl:

VM is running updates and it’s taking so long to finish. Once I can login I’ll try to see if changing back the theme fix the issue.

1 Like

imagen

No luck at all on KDE Neon, icons are still the same with any of default themes and I can’t remember how it looked right after installation. The best thing to do is to create a bug report on KDE Bugtracking System.

1 Like

Alright thanks for taking your time anyway. Didn’t expect so many replies after such a short time. Again Endeavour OS and it’s community are impressing me :slight_smile:. Guess I’ll add a bug report to the KDE bug tracker and see if this leads to a solution. If I remember and come across a solution I’ll report back here.

At least I’m not the only one with this problem. Gives me a bit of peace of mind to know that I’m not going insane because of a problem that doesn’t make any sense to me :laughing:. Because I didn’t find anything on Google I thought it was my own stupidity with some configuration but I guess it isn’t after all.

1 Like

Strange… Really don’t know what would trigger the icon to go missing otherwise. Now that you mention it I think I have encountered this icon on previous Linux Installations with KDE installed so it seems this isn’t a new problem or one execlus to Endavour OS or Arch. Never noticed that it is the wrong icon before though so it didn’t bother me back then I guess. Now under Endavour OS I could watch live how it happened so there definitely is something wrong with Kate or KDE in general.

Seems like it …

I don’t have this issue on Kate, using Arch with bspwm/qt5ct/kvantum with Papirus/Dark, Breeze, Oxygen icon themes.
At least,… I can see those icons on all icon themes. They are not vanished.
Did you post an image where the icons are missing? I may have missed it…

Plasma has several minor or major bugs, so the 1st thing to do is search the bug tracker.

Yeah, I’ve included an image of how it looks on my machine here.

And this it what it should look like imo.

Already searched for my exact problem but I haven’t found anything in the bug tracker, that’s why I posted here. I’m going to open a report and see if that leads to something new.