[KDE - Kate Text Editor] Strange sidebar icon behavior, only some/one is missing, others showing correctly

It’s just the default Breeze theme (dark) and the “ayu Mirage” Kate colour theme. Nothing fancy.

The font is Hack.

Plus a tiny bit of transparency with Kwin, and no border, of course. :wink:

1 Like

I can see an icon, I guess. You probably mean it seems like the NotFound icon.
Have you looked in the icon theme to verify which filename provides this icon?
As I said, I can see an icon there, with every theme I used. It’s not about a vanished non-existing icon, but an IconNotFound. It is a totaly different issue.

1 Like

Well yeah you’re probably right with this. My reasoning to call it a missing icon instead of the wrong icon was that I thought that the “missing icon” icon probably would be displayed every time the actual icon couldn’t be found and that another missing icon was the underlying cause of the problem. But I guess it could also be the case that it wouldn’t show any icon if all of them would be missing so yeah I’ll change the issue name and edit my post to better reflect the issue I’m experiencing shortly. Thanks!

1 Like

I think I’m onto something now. The icon apparently displayed for a lot of us isn’t the missing-icon icon like I suspected first, but instead it’s the icon for the document-open action

while the icon displayed on the Kate screenshot on the KDE application page and that was also displayed in my installation for a short while seems to be the document-open-folder icon. What would cause this strange behavior with different icons on different default installations or the icon to change without literally doing anything that could cause it is beyond me though :thinking:

Edit:
Those are from the default breeze / breeze-dark icon theme.

1 Like

This could happen if the relevant addon/kate developer changed the icon name used for each place. :person_shrugging:
Mystery seems solved :+1:

Well I would be happy with that answer if I would’ve run a system update, changed anything with my software or libs installed or if this problem wouldn’t have happened on another outdated installation.

Correct me if I’m wrong but for anything some developer would’ve done to affect me I at least would’ve had to update the breeze icon theme or Kate or any of the libs it’s using right? I’m not quite convinced that this is simply a case of changed icon references or names as this behavior seems to be happening for a lot longer than the recent few days. And like I said the icon changed without me doing anything at all besides from switching Kate color themes. I was able to see them both if you will without changing anything about the software on the system.

Also if it was simply a case of the KDE developer’s changing stuff around shouldn’t everyone have the same new icons at least?

Here is mine:

Papirus Dark

|

Breeze Dark

No icon themes? Strange, but I don’t know how kde devs require a cache recreation.

KDE saves/uses .cache/ a lot.
It is not uncommon to have such odd behavior with Plasma or user changing settings.
Clear your cache and try again, until it… stabilizes! :smile:

1 Like

My guess is that it depends on a lot of factors, like OS, DE, themes, how Kate was installed (repos, snap, appimage, flatpak, binaries), updates, etc…, the ecosystem is so big!

1 Like

Yeah well that might be the case. I think I’m still going to report it on their bug tracker to see what the KDE guys might have to say about this but for now I will just leave it as it is as it appears to be quite normal from what I’ve gathered here. Not one of the worst bugs if it is one, puzzling nonetheless. For now thanks for your help.

I just can’t sleep well when I have something like this on my mind :laughing:. At least it’s not something I could easily solve by myself or even something that needs solving at all I guess. So I’ll just let it be for now :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

kate 22 is already in kde unstable repo :wink:
https://archlinux.org/packages/kde-unstable/x86_64/kate/