KDE interface glitches and won't work on Thinkpad T16

I just installed EndeavourOS with KDE Plasma onto my Lenovo Thinkpad T16, with the 16:10 2560x1600 screen. The installation went fine and I booted into the OS. Firefox works fine, but none of the settings menus or the taskbar work properly.

In the settings menus I can’t click on anything. I wanted to change my display settings to zoom in (because this high-res screen makes everything fairly small), but I can’t actually select any of the options. I can’t scroll through the options, and it all glitches around. However, I can move the window around and resize it.

Similarly, the taskbar isn’t displaying properly. When I hover over certain parts of the taskbar I get little popups that show I’m hovering over an icon for an open application (settings, Firefox, etc) but there is no icon there. However, I can go into edit mode and move the taskbar to different locations on the screen.

When I open the launcher menu I can’t select any apps to open them.

So the entire system is completely unusable. I assume it has something to do with my high-res 16:10 screen, or maybe with the iris xe graphics. Unfortunately I can’t even open a terminal to install any new drivers.

I wonder if I should switch to Gnome, or maybe just go to Fedora. But maybe I’ll just have the same issue with Gnome or any DE in Fedora.

I can’t upload videos so I put it on YouTube. Here’s a link so you can see a bit of the glitching interface. Again, it only happens with the KDE interface:

https://youtube.com/shorts/P09y7MKhaN4?feature=share

Some system infos maybe more useful

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/forum-log-tool-options/how-to-include-systemlogs-in-your-post/2021/03

Edit: posting output of inxi -Fz would be useful (use coding bracket forum function to wrap code)

Also there are a couple of threads about the Intel iris Xe graphics driver. I never had problem on my Lenovo carbon but seems that some users run into trouble with hardware drivers.

Maybe you could try to remove or add the following driver to test it out (then reboot). Or search the forum for threads with that keyword that may help,

xf86-video-intel

Thanks for the quick response.

Here’s a log that I managed to make:
http://0x0.st/oxhd.txt

Here’s the output of inxi -Fz

System:
  Kernel: 5.15.74-1-lts arch: x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.26.1
    Distro: EndeavourOS
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 21BVCTO1WW v: ThinkPad T16 Gen 1
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: LENOVO model: 21BVCTO1WW v: SDK0T76530 WIN
    serial: <superuser required> UEFI: LENOVO v: N3MET08W (1.05 )
    date: 09/13/2022
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 53.0 Wh (100.0%) condition: 53.0/52.5 Wh (101.0%)
CPU:
  Info: 12-core (4-mt/8-st) model: 12th Gen Intel Core i7-1260P bits: 64
    type: MST AMCP cache: L2: 9 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 693 min/max: 400/3462:3400 cores: 1: 411 2: 535 3: 469
    4: 655 5: 705 6: 415 7: 731 8: 1250 9: 704 10: 735 11: 823 12: 1394 13: 400
    14: 634 15: 583 16: 648
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Alder Lake-P Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
  Device-2: Chicony Integrated Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: intel
    unloaded: modesetting dri: i965 gpu: i915 resolution: 2560x1600~60Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel Graphics (ADL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 22.2.1
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Alder Lake PCH-P High Definition Audio
    driver: sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl
  Sound API: ALSA v: k5.15.74-1-lts running: yes
  Sound Server-1: PipeWire v: 0.3.59 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Alder Lake-P PCH CNVi WiFi driver: iwlwifi
  IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
  Device-2: Intel Ethernet I219-V driver: e1000e
  IF: enp0s31f6 state: down mac: <filter>
Bluetooth:
  Device-1: Intel type: USB driver: btusb
  Report: rfkill ID: hci0 rfk-id: 3 state: down bt-service: disabled
    rfk-block: hardware: no software: no address: see --recommends
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 6.95 GiB (0.7%)
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: SSD 980 PRO 1TB
    size: 931.51 GiB
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 915.53 GiB used: 6.95 GiB (0.8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 299.4 MiB used: 312 KiB (0.1%) fs: vfat
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p1
Swap:
  Alert: No swap data was found.
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0 C mobo: N/A
  Fan Speeds (RPM): fan-1: 0
Info:
  Processes: 284 Uptime: 6m Memory: 23.18 GiB used: 2.37 GiB (10.2%)
  Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.22
1 Like

Try to wrap you code to make it more readable and syntax highlighted.

Highlight the codeblock and then select the right formatting tool like here (sorry on my phone):
Screenshot_20221024-204550

1 Like

OK I did that, I think it looks better now.

1 Like

Found this part that might be something to look at from your logs.

16.870] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/i965_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/i965_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory) [ 16.870] (EE) AIGLX error: unable to load driver i965 [ 16.936] (II) IGLX: Loaded and initialized swrast [ 16.936] (II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0 [ 16.936] (II) Initializing extension XFree86-VidModeExtension [ 16.936] (II) Initializing extension XFree86-DGA [ 16.937] (II) Initializing extension XFree86-DRI [ 16.937] (II) Initializing extension DRI2 [ 16.942] (EE) intel(0): Failed to submit rendering commands (Invalid argument), disabling acceleration. [ 16.942] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 2560x1600@60.0 on eDP1 using pipe 0, position (0, 0), rotation normal, reflection none [ 16.942] (II) intel(0): Setting screen physical size to 677 x 423 [ 16.974] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button

1 Like

Since you run Alder Lake and KDE I think I found a possible solution on arch wiki.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/intel_graphics#Troubleshooting

Users with newer ~12th gen IGP’s may see issues where plasma desktop is almost unusable. It appears to be an issue with accelerated items. Running glxgears will report a high frame rate, but the animation will not be updated. A possible solution here is to change the driver under X.

Basically edit the file with you favorite editor. Possible that you may need to open as root like

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Then edit the file:

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Intel Graphics"
  Driver "modesetting"
EndSection

Then save.

Alternative option would be to try another DE if it can’t be troubleshooted.

Beautiful find, thanks. I found a solution that works perfectly for now, do I’ll lay it out here for anybody else who runs into the problem.

I searched for other instances of:
/usr/lib/dri/i965_dri.so failed

I found this reddit post which suggested installing mesa-amber:

This also required me uninstalling mesa, and I don’t know if that will cause other problems.

So my system is working fine now. I don’t know for sure if I’m getting the full power of the Iris XE graphics or not. Optimization will have to wait. I might still end up switching to Gnome if this solution doesn’t prove to be stable.

Thanks very much Zircon34

1 Like

Glad if it helped in anyways. I tend to not follow reddit, there is good and bad advice, it’s a bit a jungle. Will see if some more knowledgabke peps chime in here at some point!

OK that’s interesting, about conflicts between Alder Lake and KDE. It might still better to use Gnome than to hack around and try to make KDE work. I was on the fence between the two anyway. It’s too late to reinstall tonight, but this is good information.

1 Like

I like both, but currently running gnome and another session with Dwm. Sometimes I also use i3wm. If you get the workflow you may either love or hate gnome. To me using workspaces for different tasks makes sense and keyboard to search apps. Others prefer the classical desktop layout.

On my older laptops I was alternating between i3 and XFCE. I absolutely love tiling window managers, and at this point I can hardly stand the messiness of floating windows. But accessing settings is a nuisance in i3, and I had problems in Eclipse with creating GUIs while in i3, so I would use XFCE for those things. Plasma plus a tiling script lets me easily combine both those things. But I’m pretty sure Gnome will do the same thing.

I’m reading more stories about problems with KDE, “older” kernels, and Alder Lake CPUs. I’m currently on the LTS 5.15 kernel so maybe I’ll stick to the newest one and switch to Gnome for a fresh install.

1 Like

@pattmayne
Did you install the mesa-amber package? That would have been my suggestion.

Edit: Based on the log

[    16.870] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/i965_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/i965_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
[    16.870] (EE) AIGLX error: unable to load driver i965

I did, and it worked. But I read so many accounts of conflicts between alder lake CPUs and KDE that I decided to avoid KDE rather than chase after hacks. I’m running Gnome Wayland now and it’s a much smoother experience.

1 Like

It’s not a KDE thing. The fact is it’s an Intel Iris issue. Gnome runs Wayland by default KDE does not but you can run Wayland now on KDE. Lots of people are using it daily without issue. The Alder lake cpu is the issue. I personally do not like Intel Iris xe graphics. Too problematic.

Out of curiosity you could try to login the X11 session in gnome to see if that is an issue or not. My post from arch wiki above specified problem/solution with Intel alderlake and plasma specifically. Maybe useful to know whether it’s really X11/Wayland related problem or not. Likely not.

Where does it say anything related to Plasma. It’s related to Intel Iris Graphics.

Most work laptops that are energy efficient but high end come with these Intel graphics. Aren’t these drivers open source (in kernel anyways)?

Users with newer ~12th gen IGP’s may see issues where plasma desktop is almost unusable. It appears to be an issue with accelerated items. Running glxgears will report a high frame rate, but the animation will not be updated. A possible solution here is to change the driver under X.

Read post #6 with arch wiki link (this text is from wiki …), or you think this is unrelated to issue?

Edit: it also offers a simple solution, if it works.

I don’t see where it says this in the Arch Wiki. :lying_face: