KDE interface glitches and won't work on Thinkpad T16

Section 6.19 at the end of article.

But there is also a disclaimer in front of my face I did not pay attention to late night :laughing:

The factual accuracy of this article or section is disputed.Tango-inaccurate.png

Reason: Is this limited to the UHD770 alone? Is this limited to the Plasma Desktop or does it also happen on every Qt application regardless of the environment? Should we not recommend uninstalling xf86-video-intel instead? Is this bug reported somewhere? (Discuss in Talk:Intel graphics)

Edit: but if it is a problem with Qt switching X11/Wayland may not solve the issue on plasma.

I think the big issue is people donā€™t understand how their hardware works. Then they blame the desktop because they donā€™t know how to get it working.

That is often true, but out of the box the users DE was not working properly in this case. But then there are difference between DE like compositors, graphic configs and qt/gtk, that may contribute. I had some odd screen flickering on cinnamon long time ago when connecting an external monitor but nothing on gnome or plasma. Itā€™s just a pain when it occurs and not everyone has the patience trying to fix it.

Maybe useful if @pattmayne manages to try login X11 in gnome (itā€™s just a click on login and selection on bottom right I think), then we at least can discard or not that the problem stems from X11/Wayland usage.

Hardware/driver seems to be the problem but why it works on gnome and not plasma is strange.

Iā€™m not directing this at the OP. I just mean in general the desktop gets blamed.

Not at all :wink::rofl:

Actually when I log into Gnome with the Xorg option it DOES give me similar glitches as I had in KDE Plasma. So it might be a Gnome vs Wayland thing.

Iā€™m not reinstalling Plasma just to test this all more thoroughly. I think I remember logging into KDE with both Wayland and Xorg to test it anyway, and that it didnā€™t solve the issue, but I might be wrong. I stayed up fairly late trying to get this to work and tried a lot of stuff. Iā€™m enjoying Gnome now and Iā€™ll very likely stick with it.

Iā€™m not entirely clear how the Iris XE graphics play into this. Does Xorg use the Iris XE graphics while Wayland does not? That would be a shame since I spent a little extra money to get the Iris XE option. I wonder how many of these issues will be smoothed out in the coming months.

So for anybody reading for solutions to similar problems, I found two ways to deal with the issue. Installing Mesa on Plasma worked (see solution above) but I ultimately moved to using Gnome Wayland, which also works great without any hacks or fixes. Also this Gnome installation starts up much quicker for some reason.

1 Like

Iā€™m just happy you have it working. Nothing wrong with Gnome. Hopefully you get Gnome 43 soon without any issues.

1 Like

Fairly new hardware takes a bit time to be smoothed out on Linux, although drivers are still getting out pretty quickly and arch based distro is great to have these rolling in asap. :roller_skate:

Was just having this same issue on my 2022 LG Gram 16 which i am currently trialing eos on, using the modesetting driver fix as per the arch wiki currently because using mesa-amber was causing me to fallback to software rendering. Using wayland sessions for both plasma and gnome worked just fine, issue only exists with X11, Hoping there is a proper fix for X11 in the works before i make the jump. Using wayland is kinda off the table because it still cannot fractional scale and on a 16" 2560x1600 panel thatā€™s basically necessary.

Yeah thatā€™s a drawback in Gnome Wayland. I have the same resolution and I can only do 100% or 200%. There is a hack to do fractional scaling but itā€™s just blurry.

So youā€™re saying that KDE Plasma Wayland also does not support fractional scaling?

It does and as of 5.26 xwayland apps finally scale right. However it still isnā€™t perfect, all text appears very slightly fuzzy. Much better time than gnome though.

See ā€¦ @Zircon34 thereā€™s hope for KDE yet. :wink:

Sighā€¦ maybe Iā€™ll have to reinstall KDE. Most accounts say there arenā€™t major compatibility issues. Gnome is beautiful and I actually love the interface, but everything is so tiny without fractional scaling.

Maybe, would be good to know if KDE Wayland can scale laptop and external monitor with different resolution with two different scaling factors. It seems to work pretty well on gnome Wayland. I never tried KDE Wayland as of yet.

Which hack did you try?

Found this on arch wiki, just wondering if it is an alternative

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/HiDPI#Wayland

Edit: it also says this which kind of sucksā€¦

Note: GTK does not and has no plans to support DPI scaling on all elements except fonts. Therefore, fractional scaling on gnome uses oversampling, which means rendering at a higher resolution, then scaling down with integer scaling, and is true for both wayland and xorg sessions. This brings higher GPU and CPU (since GTK is not fully hardware accelerated) usage, more power consumption, and in some cases significantly slower responsiveness, particularly noticeable in xorg. If itā€™s necessary to avoid these problems, consider switching to a Qt based desktop environment.

Well Iā€™m sure if i had the hardware Iā€™d be running KDE on it without issue.

Experimental features. This is the code for Wayland (which I tried, and it worked, but it was blurry):

sudo gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features "['scale-monitor-framebuffer']"

And this is the one for Xorg (which I havenā€™t tried yet because Xorg has been buggyā€¦ except when I installed Mesa-Amber on my first installation of Endeavorā€¦ might have to do that again and see if Xorg scaling is really better):

gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features "['x11-randr-fractional-scaling']"

I found them both on this site:

I should also mention that Iā€™m now running both Gnome and KDE Plasma, each with both Xorg and Wayland functionality. In each case the Xorg is glitchy and the Wayland runs smooth, but thereā€™s no fractional scaling at all, and Gnome runs much smoother. But I had it freeze twice and had to restart it. So many bugs with this new machine lol.

My original plan was to proceed with a light touch toward hacks. Iā€™m going the opposite direction now. I need to throw everything at this machine until something works, and then possibly reinstall everything again with that fresh knowledge. Installing for the 3rd time wonā€™t hurt my SSD card.

Iā€™m going to do the mesa-amber install again AND the xorg scaling hack to see how it looks in Gnome.

EDIT: posted same command twice, fixed

Looks like those are the same hacks that gave me the blurry images on Wayland. And if theyā€™re a resource hog then I donā€™t want it, even if the Xorg version is less blurry

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/HiDPI#KDE_Plasma

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.