Just installed Fedora with Gnome on the "Distro Tester"

I’ve been trying out Fedora with Gnome too…

It’s still a frustration that you need to install extensions for basics like sorting the applications alphabetically, a system tray indicator, and an indicator for removable drives. I’ve also been using the Hot Edge extension to get round the frustration of clicking in the top left to open the overview, and the dash being at the bottom of the screen (yes I do know you can use the super key, but that isn’t always convenient).

Leaving those gripes to one side, the workflow is smooth and distraction free, and if you add the adw-gtk3 theme everything looks consistent (I’m also using the Papirus icon theme).

It looks like Gnome 43 will make the Sound Input & Output Device Chooser extension obsolete (Gnome adding features!), and the gnome-info-collect program is an unobtrusive way of collecting info on how users are running Gnome.

Maybe the 4x series will drag Gnome out of the dumpster fire that was Gnome 3.x, and restore it as a viable option for many. I’m finding working in Gnome a pleasant experience for the first time in more than a decade.

2 Likes