Jagged font rendering switching from Nvidia to AMD

Okay…seeing it was a 27" U2713h i thought it might be one of the 144 hertz monitors for gaming. It would be nice if you post an image of the font issue.

Edit: Also the 5.7 kernel is right around the corner and it may have some better suport for 5700 XT also.

i can only say the 5700 had no font trouble for me using xfce from the offline install. (only emojis were beyond anything seen before).

It may be Gnome? What’s up with the Emoji’s?

When I get home in 3hrs I’ll get a good picture of it

Maybe check with @Tads also as he has the 5700 with no font problem?

Edit: This may help you but it is 4 years old.

I also found this that might be a better?

IMG_02.06.2020_192319

Hopefully you can see the artifacts around the text here. This happens at my monitor defaults on AMD but not Nvidia, idk why. I drop the sharpness to 0 to fix it though so I’m happy ATM but I’m not sure what difference is causing this

ok i think i found part of the problem, the AMD GPU is defaulting to ypbpr vs rgb color mode. Now just to figure out how to fix that

Yes i saw that too.

Edit: https://pcmonitors.info/articles/correcting-hdmi-colour-on-nvidia-and-amd-gpus/

unfortunately thats for windows, i might have to edit the edid for linux though

Fixed it with these 2 posts, AMDGPU doesnt have a way to easily change color modes so you have to trick it by editing the edid

You need to use xrandr and find the output of the HDMI. (example HDIMI-0 or HDMI-1)

xrandr -q

Was it something like this?

xrandr --output HDMI-0 --set “Broadcast RGB” “Full”

that doesnt work on AMDGPU only on intel GPU

on AMDGPU you have to edit the edid

edit: i tried that command and it isnt recognized as valid because im on AMD

Okay… I see. Where did you find that one… I have been looking for stuff.That ones brand new out!

I’m not even sure lol, was looking into changing pixel format on amdgpu and that popped up on duckduckgo. A bit of luck I suppose

If I can I’d like to find a way to add that to the endeavorOS wiki if at all possible

I’d say …i have just been looking at stuff not totally understanding exactly the issue but never the less interested as i have AMD also, I know the 5700 XT is quite a step up. So just been looking, browsing and passing it on.

Edit: Did you actually install the AUR program to hack the edid?

Yeah install wxEDID and worked like a charm, was easy to fix once I knew the issue

Well i was flying in the dark!

You and me both, I didn’t know it would force the wrong color mode over HDMI. I happened upon it in my monitor osd and realized what happened