It's our Forum! What do you want from it?

What about Ninjas?? :ninja:t4:

2 Likes

This is true. I donā€™t use EOS anymore but I still visit this place from time to time.

As I look back at some of my lame questions just a few months ago, I am amazed someone (usually @ricklinux) took the time to help me without making me feel like a real dork.

3 Likes

What do you use instead of EOS?

Are you using an Arch-based distro?

Gentoo. Not because EOS was lacking or anything, but even before I built my PC I dreamt about using linux, and Gentoo was the endgame, basically. Iā€™ve already said on this forum that I like watching my computer compile stuff :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You know itā€™s actually sometimes faster for me to install a package in Gentoo than arch because the arch mirrors are so slow where I live, especially at night.

Edit: This is my internet in general, not just arch mirrors.

1 Like

I donā€™t have enough time for that

And downloading the source and compiling isnā€™t? :joy:
To each his own, I guess.

As I said, itā€™s only sometimes downloading the source and compiling is comparatively faster than downloading the binaries. Some nights I used to get ~30-50kB/s download speeds. Also sources are usually smaller than binaries.

part of the culture for sure !

1 Like

I have a wish ā€¦ more contributions from community members there is already a beaming horde of moderators and helpers, but there are still construction sites that can use help and it takes you to find errors and problems and to search for or offer solutionsā€¦
not really related to the forum itself but something here could happen in the forum should and will of course :dotted_line_face:

seems robots and honks can get merged also

6 Likes

More details on these sites and the skill sets and levels needed to help and of course learn?

1 Like

it is all aboutā€¦ your endeavour :wink:
Skills can get reached.

I was mainly thinking about the ISO installer and Editions:

And indeed the Wiki:
https://discovery.endeavouros.com/

Simple:

• Start reading and ask if something is unclear.
  • Reporting anything that looks wrong to you on installed systems.
  • If you are familiar with some parts of the code and you find something that is wrong or can be improved: Pull Request!
2 Likes

Thanks @joekamprad
I will study the links :grinning:

At that time, after many years of using Debian, Suse, Red Hat, Arch was very mysterious and strange to me, I did not dare to start using it. Then much later the Antergos came across me. I considered it a very sympathetic initiative, so I started using it. Although the development of Antergos has been completed, it has become a sequel to EOS, which inherited the good features of its predecessor and also expanded them, so I stayed. Now Iā€™m with Gentoo as I was with Arch at the time, still very much alien to me.

Yes I remember having to research the package manager and USE flags before installing it. If you want to see what the package management is like you could try calculate linux or redcore linux in a VM. Gentoo doesnā€™t actually provide any real benefits over any other distro, by the way.

I will spin up Antergos, so I can understand EOS roots. Here is the ISO of [Antergos] (https://sourceforge.net/projects/antergos/files/mirror/iso/release/antergos-19.4-x86_64.iso/download)

1 Like