Is there some limit to how many smart devices we need in our lives?

Perhaps you’re correct, to me it has the opposite effect, but I’m a bit out of touch with the average person. Most smart devices I have seem to perform a lot worse with their smart features.

I haven’t had an Android device which I didn’t flash a custom ROM on in a decade - if I could do the same for TVs I’d be thrilled. Even the premium LG panel I have comes with 10s of applications which cannot be removed, and banners with ads in disguise (e.g. try x service for y price or item z is now available to stream) all over the smart hub.

I would assume a lot of it is to do with how unaware people seem to be of the depths of the various information collection. I’d like to think most people would still be uncomfortable if they knew the depths Google’s tracking with something like Play Services, for example, but perhaps I’m wrong and the dystopian future in 1984 will soon upon us.

I would appreciate a lot of these smart features if the data never left the device. Some of them are indeed quite useful, like health tracking features, but if it comes at the cost of this data being sent back and sold, well, then I’m out.

What smart features/devices do people around here use/value?

I agree with you and think many people on this site would also agree. I am just not sure we are a representative cross-section of the broader society on an issue like this. :disguised_face:

1 Like

I’m a firm believer that the end game of corporations like google and facebook is to control our thoughts. Ads are just a side hustle. In order to do so all information might be useful, even how you like your toast silly as that may sound. We are cattle in their eyes.

4 Likes

Nonsense! They just want your money.

2 Likes

I hope you’re right but you can’t deny that if someone is controling your thought getting your money would be easy for them.

1 Like

IMG_20220210_004059518_HDR

This smart device shows what?
Sure the current temperature …
No it is not even able to do that… it shows the temperatures that are setup…

It is smarter Indeed.

1 Like

I wouldn’t use the words “control out thoughts”. I would, however, say that they are trying to influence our behaviour which you could argue is essentially the same thing.

4 Likes

Semantics but I agree. Influence our behaviour would be more appropriate.

3 Likes

I have been thinking for a long time whether I should buy a feature phone
(https://www.amazon.de/Nokia-Mobiltelefon-klassischem-Technologie-MP3-Player/dp/B08N1J7XXR/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=2FWK72EOY7WOV&keywords=Nokia%2B6300&qid=1644451662&sprefix=nokia%2B6300%2Caps%2C79&sr=8-3&th=1)
when the battery of my S10+ stops working at some point.Unfortunately, the Internet is absolutely unusable on such a postage stamp-sized display (Telegram, Threema I imagine there terrible.) I would certainly also miss the photo function very much. Who carries around a camera all the time?

We really really would need a good Linux phone (=no Android). Something that has top notch hardware as well.

Is it possible that we will see that some day?

1 Like

A Linux phone with top notch hardware. I certainly hope that that will become reality someday. But I won’t hold my breath that it is going to happen any time soon.

In the meantime, a good Android custom rom fits my bill.

Privacy issues were already extensively mentioned here, but theres another problem inherent to all smart devices, even phones (as much as you might like that functionality on your phone). People obviously dont buy smart devices because they like to loose privacy, but some things cant even be bought anymore WITHOUT being smart (cars were already given as an example).
Secondly there is a fear of missing out. Both from a perspective of consumption for consumptions sake and a fear of missing out on fun or enjoyment others are having.
This conveniently ties into third reason, that imo is something relatively unique to smart devices in comparison to their non-smart counterparts, but something that is mirrored by other parts of our society. A constant need to maximise output in everything you do. Its not enough to just go out and jog, you have to carry a smart watch to record every heart beat and compare your run to every other run you had, giving you convenient statistics from which you are supposed to derive “the perfect jog ™”. Same for a smart fridge that might tell you your exact caloric intake, or that your food choices imply you are low on some vitamin by 5% of the suggested amount.
Obviously none of this is enforced by any entity, but the fear of missing out on “the perfect jog” or “the maximized meal” just degrades all of these activities from a hobby or self-enjoyment to just another job you have to finish.
Thats what I dislike the most about smart-devices. Giving tips for a good jog or good nutrition isnt bad, but both the implications that “good enough” isnt actually good enough and that you personally are failing in comparison to your optimal, your “maxxed” self, are terrible. Just as privacy-violations for most people seem like something that just slowly slithered into their lives until it became the norm, i fear that this will just as much.

3 Likes

Unlikely, but hope dies last.

I would gladly pay $1000 even for something similar to Samsung Galaxy Note 8, which is far from top notch nowadays, if it ran Linux.

2 Likes

An even more appropriate name would be “gateway for hackers”.

My “smart” devices are my phone and the TV set. The TV just has a “guest access” to my router so streaming works while it’s isolated from the home network.
I can darkly remember the fuss on the occasion of the 1983/87 census in Germany when people were worried to become transparent citizens.
And nowadays 11 million germans happily bug their own households with Alexa :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

These particular smart devices haven’t gotten to me yet, but I don’t need them either.

Smart washing machine, smart toaster… I don’t need such things and I don’t want them, not even as a gift. All this is not just for convenience, it’s about making money and collecting data about everything and everyone.

I own a smartphone. A Galaxy S3 Neo. It runs LineageOS (Android 11) without any Google stuff. I´m using F-Droid and I also need Aurora Store because of 2 Apps I need. When I’m out of the house, the smartphone is always at home, with very few exceptions.
We also have a SmartTV in the household, which is also connected to the internet. But I also use a Raspi that runs PiHole and puts every device in its place.
Furthermore there are 3 laptops and 1 desktop computer. On all devices Linux is installed. On the desktop computer there is a Win11. But it is only used for gaming. No emails, no browsing, nothing but gaming.
I am for example a big fan of sensible home automation, voice control etc, but it means a lot of work and countless hours of familiarization with a topic to implement it so that all data remain on the LAN.

However, it is becoming increasingly difficult and tedious to keep halfway control over one’s data. It is like Don Quixote’s fight against the windmills.

1 Like

But if they control you thoughts they can force you to give them more money.

Your freezer is upgrading. Please do not open the door at this time.

A smart water bottle! There’s a thing called thirst that tells you when you need to drink.
More smart stuff = more electricity demand since it’s always on.
I think most of it is unnecessary.

The more our lives are controlled by companies, the more we restrict our own choices.

1 Like

ok, now this is getting to meme level

sc-220218-164940

sc-220218-165054

sc-220218-165132

sc-220218-164729