Is there an open-source good looking Spotify alternative?

I tried Spotube in the past, but it feels like it’s not exactly what I’m looking for:

• Being FOSS
  • Have availability of the highest song quality possible (Like Spotify’s “Very High” sound quality)
  • A user friendly and modern UI
  • The ability to download tracks

If you know any, let me know!

Due to copyright and what not, the alternatives won’t have as many music available, there is funkwhale, but most pods/servers on there only allow creative commons and public domain music.

Don’t you like Spotify?

For low quality stuff:

yt-dlp -x --audio-format mp3 <URL>

For better quality stuff:
qBittorrent and/or Soulseek (or Nicotine+).

What is this “Spotify” you speak of? Sounds bloody awful… :wink:

8 Likes

Listen to the FROGGE - he’s right! :frog:

And best thing - you will actually own all of that sound property and nobody can censor it via their :clown_face:-based services…

P.S. YAAAAARRRRRR

6 Likes

+1
I’m still shocked how much high quality stuff you can find on there, especially more obscure stuff that may not be available on a lot of trackers.

2 Likes

Maybe Nuclear or Olivia?

I don’t really wanna download the tracks

Nuclear is ok I guess, could be better (on appearance) Olivia looks just awful

How are you going to play them if you don’t download them? :man_facepalming:

1 Like

You can take a look at myuzi. Its my list of app to try.

Streaming service(s)?

GTK, eh…

Let me tell you a little secret: streaming is also downloading. If this data were not downloaded, how would your computer know what audio to play?

The major difference between streaming and saving a file locally is that streaming is defective by design, so that what you download is single use only. But streaming is nothing special, the exact same zeroes and ones flow through the internet tubes to your computer whether you’re using yt-dlp to save a video file or you’re watching it using the crappy video player on the YouTube website.

The bottom line is: if you want to watch a 3 GiB YouTube video, you have to download 3 GiB, whether you save it locally as a file or the software used to play it forces you to delete that data once you’ve finished “consuming the content”.

In fact, if you want to conserve bandwidth and download less, it makes sense to save what download so you can play it again the next day, instead of “streaming” it, which means downloading it in its entirety every time you play it.

3 Likes

Shortwave internet radio app offers saving listened tunes from cache to disk. It’s available in the AUR.

https://spotube.netlify.app/