Is there a guide to install Vulkan Drivers

Hi all , recently I have installed my RTX 2070 sucessfully . Tried to connect to HDMI and ran into first problem . Wiki was awesome and solved problem with HDMI issue , Optimus manager qt is perfect .
Unfortunitly at the end left me with a big tease . Vulkan Drivers to open all goodies of my card { something like that ) . I looked in wiki but could not find any info on how to properly install the Vulkan drivers .
Is there a guide somewhere I missed . How would I install the Vulkan Drivers . Thank You and looking forward to your guidence .

Try:

[elloquin@elloquin-elloquin ~]$ yay amdvlk
4 aur/lib32-amdvlk-git v.2019.Q3.2.r0.4f7b640-1 (+3 0.00) 
    AMD's standalone Vulkan driver (32-bit version)
3 aur/amdvlk-git v.2020.Q1.3.r2.bd57537-1 (+23 0.00) 
    AMD's standalone Vulkan driver
2 multilib/lib32-amdvlk 2020.Q3.2-1 (16.0 MiB 57.6 MiB) (Installed)
1 extra/amdvlk 2020.Q3.2-1 (16.1 MiB 58.4 MiB) (Installed)
==> Packages to install (eg: 1 2 3, 1-3 or ^4)
==> 

Select 1 2 is optional.

The Card is an Nvidia RTX 2070 . That looks like it for AMD ?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vulkan

That may be what you’re looking for.
Basically vulkan-icd-loader lib32-vulkan-icd-loader and you should already have nvidia-utils

1 Like

I did a yay vulkan search and those are already installed ?

What does ls /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/ report back?

[northernfrog@northernfrog-oryxpro ~]$ ls /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/
nvidia_icd.json

This is the only other thing that I see regarding Vulkan and Nvidia in the ArchWiki

Check if you have vulkan-intel installed, it may prevent Nvidia’s vulkan driver from being detected.

Alternatively set the environment variable VK_ICD_FILENAMES to /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/nvidia_icd.json .

Are you wanting to use Vulkan for gaming reasons? I do know of a fairly easy guide to get things like Lutris, DXVK, Wine dependencies etc.

What packages am I suppose to install ? I see in a yay search that theres a nvidia-vulkan-dkms . I’m i suppose to use this to install it . ?

I was thinking of maybe trying Steam some day , also when I increase the DPI to bigger I get issues playing simple Kpat game . I set DPI back to default all good . I thought that maybe this would fix that issue . Eyes getting tired of squinting .

I have a 2080 Ti, here’s a list of the nvidia packages I currently have installed
libvdpau
libxnvctrl
nvidia
nvidia-dkms
nvidia-settings
nvidia-utils
lib32-nvidia-utils
Now I’m on a desktop so there may be some difference between laptop and desktop (I’m not all familiar with nvidia on laptops) but I’d imagine if you have the correct packages and followed everything concerning Vulkan on the ArchWiki you should be good to go.

Gonna try now . Back shortly .

Maybe it installs with latest nvidia driver . I havent installed anything myself that i remember . when i run this in terminal ( ls /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/ ) , I get this in return . ( nvidia_icd.json ) .

These are whats installed ,
vulkan-icd-loader
nvidia-utils
lib32-nvidia-utils

SO is it already installed ?

I’m confused cause i see that nvidia-vulkan is not installed nor is the nvidia-vulkan-dkms . I thought one of these would be installed but are not .
The Arch guide i find very vague . Talks about ( Check if you have vulkan-intel installed, it may prevent Nvidia’s vulkan driver from being detected ) . Confusing as i dont have nvidia-vulkan installed . Is it suppose to be installed ?

This is what i get when i try to install the nvidia-vulkan package .

1 aur/nvidia-vulkan 450.56.02-1 (+26 0.59)
NVIDIA drivers for linux (vulkan developer branch)
==> Packages to install (eg: 1 2 3, 1-3 or ^4)
==> 1
:: Checking for conflicts…
:: Checking for inner conflicts…
->
Package conflicts found:
-> Installing nvidia-vulkan-utils will remove: nvidia-utils, nvidia-utils (nvidia-libgl), nvidia-settings
-> Conflicting packages will have to be confirmed manually
[Aur:2] nvidia-vulkan-450.56.02-1 (nvidia-vulkan-utils nvidia-vulkan)

:: Downloaded PKGBUILD (1/1): nvidia-vulkan (nvidia-vulkan-utils nvidia-vulkan)
1 nvidia-vulkan (nvidia-vulkan-utils nvidia-vulkan) (Build Files Exist)
==> Diffs to show?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)
==>
The conflicts made me stop for now . Trying to understand before risking breaking system .

If I’m not mistaken, nvidia-vulkan are beta drivers used for Vulkan developers. According to nvidia’s website, Vulkan 1.2 is included in the general purpose nvidia driver. So you don’t need nvidia-vulkan

So i’m assuming then that the latest driver has vulkan included .
If it aint broke don’t fix it !
Thats what i’m guessing anyways .
I’m SORRY to have wasted your time on this nothing burger .

1 Like

Oh no it’s fine I’m happy to help!

“He who asks a question remains a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask remains a fool forever.”

It’s a quote I live my life by!

1 Like

It was after following the Wiki guide on ( Nvidia Optimus Manager ) . The last paragraph before the trouble shooting section states this:
( Here it is, you installed the Nvidia drivers with all the potential unlocked.
After this, you can install all the supported Vulkan drivers and play games with Wine, Lutris and Steam with full performance. ) . It was this statement which made me think the Vulkan drivers still needed to be installed .
Learning process , Thanks for all your help .

2 Likes