Is it worth buying another ssd and dual booting EOS?

So I got my humble gaming rig with the following specs:

GPU: Radeon RX 570 4GB
CPU: Core I5-6500
RAM: 16GB 2133MHz non-fancy single stick (brand unknown)
MB: Gigabyte GA-H110-D3A rev. 1.0

The SSD I’m buying is in fact a Nvme M.2 one and a 128 GB at that. I don’t know what specific brand to buy yet, but I’ll eventually figure that out, probably Gigabyte or ADATA.

But then, we arrive at the core of the question, the juicy part. Will I get any extra edge compared to windows 10 or not?
The thing is, my main usage of the system is either gaming, making games or making content related to games; and although I’ve heard AMD on Linux has better OpenGL support and better performance due to being easily improved by the community via github, Isn’t it going to all squish through the layers of proton/Wine/GE? Then how it is beneficial anyhow?

Let’s be real for a moment here, I’ve been frustrated by the big amount of unnecessary driver pushes that Microsoft makes that eventually, broke my GPU driver as a whole, switching mine to a Win11 one. and while I believe in Linux being less bloated, My usage is mostly dependent on things Windows exclusive and being a student doesn’t help me with the high PC parts price here in Iran.

I’m stuck, whether or not should I make the leap of faith to Linux and want somebody to push me onto the right track. Thanks for reading this! :penguin_face:

2 Likes

There’s only one way to find out will it work for you :upside_down_face:
Moving away from M$ Windoze - is definitely an edge very well worth it.

Depending on a game / driver / wine / dxvk version - a lot of times you have even better performance than on Windoze, although not all the times, sometimes it’s few FPS worse.

On gaming here’s some perspective on ways / tools / what you can expect of Arch, also if you want to check if specific games will run / how they’ll run - see protondb and lutrisdb

P.S. To be honest - regardless of outcomes - do that leap of faith!
Coz whatever you’ll face here can’t be worse than M$ Windoze to drop it completely.

2 Likes

Just to clarify: I am actually communicating with you via my old Aspire E5 which runs EOS, and have been stuck with Linux on my laptop for roughly 3 months or so; I’ve been distro-hopping most of the time and I found myself home here at EOS for around 3 weeks.

The games I’m currently stuck with are mostly valve and Linux native games - most of which work fine according to protonDB. In addition, some emulated games seem to have a massive FPS uplift in Linux with an AMD card.
I also appreciate the effort you put into making a gaming guide!

It’s settled then, I have to spend the next weeks testing different DE and WMs in a VM to see what fits in place with me. :enos_flag:

P.S. It’s not like that I want to get completely rid of windows anyway :joy:

1 Like

Sounds like fun!

honka_animated-128px-41

If you have some questions don’t hesitate to ask :upside_down_face:

Please…get rid of that spyware! :rofl:

1 Like

If you are buying an nvme m.2 drive. Buy one that fit’s your hardware. Is it Pci-e 3.0 or Pci-e 4.0. Also check the read and write speeds. No point in getting a run of mill off brand m.2 nvme drive if it is slow as mollasses and doesn’t have good specs. Western digital black are are decent and are reasonably priced. Most 128 GB nvme drives don’t have great specs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.