Is aur down again?

Guys pleaseee pamac is a good tool. It helps users to choose better things in life :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The EndeavourOS forum users are right. Get your asses up and implement some mechanism to detect harmful PKGBUILDs instead of constantly reminding users that ā€œAUR is unsupportedā€.

comedy show

:point_up_2:t5:

I came from manjaro but switched to endeavourOS a couple of months ago.
Basically I didnā€™t even know what the aur was because I thought (which I was probably not the only one) that pamac is an extension or something really similar to pacman which is also true but when you donā€™t even know then its kinda meh.

Because well I was new to Linux and wanted to install ProtonVPN but on the website there only a guide for pamac so I just copy pasted some commands without even knowing what I did :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK, I not sure how this topic went from ā€œThe AUR is downā€ to ā€œAUR outages in the past were caused by pamacā€ to ā€œManjaro sucksā€ and ā€œpamac is terribleā€

That being said, I want to remind everyone of a couple things:

• While we certainly allow discussions of other distros here, bashing those distros or the people who run them is definitely not allowed. We work cooperatively with other distros on a regular basis and certainly donā€™t want the forum to become a place to attack other distros.
  • While it is fine to discuss the pros and cons of a tool like pamac, insulting the people who use the tool is not OK.

Going forward, please try to move the conversation in an positive direction.

7 Likes

I donā€™t know if pamacā€™s terrible, but I do know that it is utterly dispensable.

3 Likes

Hmmā€¦I feel like that quote might be out of context a little bitā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Just to express, that I donā€™t want to bash pamac. (And I know your intention to avoid this thread from going f*** pamac or f*** Manjaro.
I just think Manjaro slowly moves away from certain arch linux principles

Thatā€™s a bit unfair, because it was contradictory to [true] Arch principles from day one :upside_down_face:

1 Like

A entirely new thread could be made out of this discussing If derivative distros should follow the principles of root distros!!!?? but as far I understand generally the existance of a derivative like manjaro is due to the presence of some conflicting principles only which is totally okay. I can also argue that by saying Keep It Simple Stupid arch means that thereā€™s shouldnā€™t be a distro with some gui installer but thenā€¦eosā€¦coughā€¦cough. So letā€™s not discuss manjaro here :peace_symbol:

Or we could not create a topic like thatā€¦

2 Likes

Itā€™s not really bashing if itā€™s what actually happened. Whether the truth is good or bad is relative to the perspective at the time. The truth just is. Itā€™s impartial.

But I can see where someone who has a different perspective on what they feel happened could be hurt. Sometimes folks just need to grow up a little and realize occasionally we all make mistakes. Itā€™s part of life.

Pointing out that something happened in an objective fashion is not ā€œbashingā€. Calling them team/distro names or being generally derogatory is.

1 Like

We should be good then so far. I havenā€™t read word for word but so far itā€™s just good honest discussion.

Keep it honest.

That is because there were posts so far over the line I had to delete them and they are no longer visible.

2 Likes

I think we can come to terms here

1 Like

May we should go to blacklist words like: pamac AUR Manjaro at all on the forum ?
:sunglasses: :shushing_face: :melting_face: :rofl:

6 Likes

100% on board with this one!

1 Like

Moved this thread to Lounge

2 Likes

WRONG!!! Move it to clownge :clown_face:

3 Likes

Pamac/manjaro is a double edged sword. Yes its great having a really user friendly distro with plenty of guis to make it easy for users coming over from Windows. The downside is a lot of userā€™s who have no interest in learning pkg builds/how things work and perhaps arenā€™t/will never be ready for arch will just continue to use things without knowing the consequences.

Personally I like pamac as i just prefer a gui for browsing software/packages. Beauty of linux is choice for me , hopefully more people will learn how things work rather than blindly just using their pc