Introducing eos-packagelist

We have added a new package to the repos, eos-packagelist.

It is a simple script which parses the package lists from the installer and allows you to list or optionally install the packages using pacman.

For example, if you want to know what packages are installed with plasma, you could use:

eos-packagelist KDE-Desktop

If you want a list of the profiles available you can use:

eos-packagelist --list

If you want to install all the packages from the gnome selection in the installer you can use:

eos-packagelist --install GNOME-Desktop

Please try it out and feel free to ask any questions.

19 Likes

Forgive my ignorance, but is this something that’s meant to be used pre or post-installation or possibly for both cases maybe?

Also, perhaps it could be good to make an EndeavourOS wiki for this topic. You can more or less copy/paste this post into the wiki for now I think could be a good idea. Hmm, which actually leads me to think, maybe we should have a wiki specifically for all the EndeavourOS scripts and goodies that warrant them of course.

1 Like

I got the same questions?

Edit: I just installed it on KDE but I’m not understanding?

It definitely isn’t something everyone needs.

It has three uses I can think of:

• It is intended to replace the package list repo that the team is currently manually keeping in sync with the installer
  • It can be used to answer the frequent questions we get here like “What packages are included when you install gnome?”
  • If you wanted to you could use it to easily install an additional DE/WM as would be included on the ISO
5 Likes

That’s kind of what i thought as i ran it on my installed system so i understand what it’s showing.

2 Likes

The likely catalyst.

Good idea, makes additional WMs post install really easy.

5 Likes

My quick test of eos-packagelist went pretty well. Beginning with Cinnamon in a virtual machine, I first ran

$ eos-packagelist --list

I noticed that some of the items in the list are hyphenated, while others include spaces. You might mention in the documentation that quotation marks are required when spaces are included. For example, I ran

$ eos-packagelist --install "Openbox Edition"

Unfortunately, I received this error message:

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
eos-lightdm-slick-theme: /etc/lightdm/slick-greeter.conf exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

On the other hand, my installation of the KDE Desktop worked perfectly. I ran

$ eos-packagelist --install KDE-Desktop

I rebooted. In the greeter I selected Plasma (X11) from the drop-down list. Upon logging in, I was excited to find that I was running the KDE Deskop!

Thank you, EnOS developers, for this excellent tool!

4 Likes

Hmm…the documentation. I am not sure there is any. :rofl:

You can see if in the example from --help though:

usage: eos-packagelist [-h] [--list] [--arch ARCH] [--install] [profile ...]

The EndeavourOS package list handler gets package information from the current installer files and allows you to optionally install them

positional arguments:
  profile      The name of the profile you want to see packages for

options:
  -h, --help   show this help message and exit
  --list       Lists the available options
  --arch ARCH  Only include packages available on ARM
  --install    Install the packages on the list using pacman instead of just listing them

example: eos-packagelist "Awesome Edition"
6 Likes

exactly that :wink: but simpler … simpler to handle and less work :grinning:

3 Likes

I am still checking this out, but it is looking like this could streamline and simplify installation of EndeavourOS Arm packages in the install script.

This could end the nightmare of syncing package lists between EnOS x64_86 and EnOS Arm.

Pudge

4 Likes

Sounds like what the upcoming release is mainly about :flags:
We applied that to every bit of the installer :rocket:

4 Likes

I’ve been asking for something like this for a couple of months now. Very useful! Thanks!

2 Likes

Awesome :+1:

1 Like

Very handy! Thanks!
:enos_flag:

1 Like

@dalto

I am in the testing phase of incorporating eos-packagelist into theEnOS ARM install script.

Works great from what I have seen so far.

When used in the script, pacman always asks if you want to proceed [y/n] ?

Is there anyway the --noconfirm option can be passed to pacman when using the --install option?

Pudge

I don’t think it should do that generally but I could add an option for it if you would like. That being said, if you are using it in a script, it might make more sense to call pacman yourself so you can control all the pacman options.

Something like:

pacman -S --needed --no-confirm $(eos-packagelist XFCE4-Desktop)
1 Like

I agree, I didn’t think of running eos-packagelist and then re-directing the output to a file, or your solution of a command in a command as I call it $(command)

Yeah, let’s got with this and leave eos-packagelist as it is.

Thanks for the guidance.

Pudge

1 Like

I seem to be missing something here.
If I issue the following

eos-packagelist "Budgie-Desktop"

It lists eos-lightdm-slick-theme as part of the output.
If I go to

eos-lightdm-slick-theme is NOT listed under “Budgie-Desktop”
Is the above listed netinstall.yaml the current one that eos-packagelist is using?

Pudge

Hmm…

There seem to be two netinstall.yaml files.

I am using this one:
https://github.com/endeavouros-team/EndeavourOS-calamares/blob/main/calamares/files/netinstall.yaml

@joekamprad, is there a reason there are two and which one is the correct one to use?

2 Likes

The netinstall.yaml I listed hasn’t been updated for 28 days.
The one you listed was updated 7 days ago. I think the one you listed is the correct one.

Pudge