Intel ME & AMT did it again!

Who could have seen that coming?! :rofl:

:clown_face: :ghost:

4 Likes

If you needed another reason not to buy an Intel processor…

Though, AMD is only slightly better. If you are building a computer, make sure to pick a motherboard that can disable AMD PSP in the UEFI options.

Those darn bioluminescent three-letter government agencies…

5 Likes

I figured you’ll write that :laughing:
Problem is that both are vulnerable by that zero-day backdoors…

Can they really turn it off unless you reflash BIOS with PSP-killer firmware?

1 Like

That’s an excellent question. If they say they turned it off, how do you know they turned it off? :thinking:

1 Like

Infiltrate NSA for 5 years, check it yourself, then leave agency and never upgrade your PC again :rofl:

:male_detective: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Easier said than done. They already know me there…

frog_incognito_72

4 Likes

Wasn’t this dude a massive “500 iq” conspiracy nut a couple years back?

The name and the voice ring a bell for some reason.

Or am I thinking of someone else entirely?

Does it matter? Is he wrong somehow?

Try to debunk the argument, not attack the person making it.

4 Likes

Not sure, probably…I’ve found him just couple of months ago :upside_down_face:
Pretty funny dude though :laughing:

And yeah, problem is - he’s absolutely not wrong here, obviously :frog:
CVE is CVE :woozy_face:

1 Like

I’m not. I don’t want to debunk something I agree with. People change anyway.

Just curious because he sounds familiar.

1 Like

Personally, I like his videos very much. But I try to evaluate each information based on its content and not whether I like the person who brought the news and whether I agree or disagree with him on other things.

Also, just because someone is a conspiracy theory nut, does not necessarily mean that there isn’t a real conspiracy.

2 Likes

All well and good man. Liking something is reason enough! :+1:

Just like everyone else here, I care about privacy more than an average person. If anything, I do love a bit of crazy talk myself. Anytime I’d mention why I use something other than the mainstream, I’m called a nut anyway.

Back on topic – Isn’t Intel ME removable? I’m only aware of most, if not all, Thinkpads being flashable to make it into a null partition, with the help of some tools.

2 Likes

That’s hard topic i wanted to raise…It technically is and not only for thinkpads even, but you need bios-flashing hardware etc
There are couple of tutorials on-line - not walk in the park.

I remember watching a stream on youtube of someone doing it on a Carbon X1 or a T480 or some other newer model, can’t recall exactly.

Doesn’t seem overly difficult assuming there would be a comprehensive tutorial of sorts. Just plenty of disclaimers and !!! since you’re sticking clips onto chips on the motherboard. I was gonna look into it, never got around to do so – that was quite a while ago. Probably should eh, quite an interesting project. :grimacing:

1 Like

they are two sort hardware

• hardware intel sells to customers , so they have all sort of firmwares , bios , etc
  • hardware by other manufacturers based on intel , and we can’t know version part installed

as it come with bios , version you have should be lower than expected

that why there is coreboot & open core & so for avoid thes vulnerabilities

1 Like

:exclamation: For anyone coming across that - do NOT do this if you have even slightest doubt or not experienced - if not accurate you may brick your hardware.

@Oziach
I assume you mean 2nd link, again - not really a walk in a park :laughing:

1 Like

No, it was an older gentleman. Unsure what channel, I was binging random stuff about Linux as background noise, ended up having that stream in recommended. It was a more similar setup to the first link – though I’m skimming through both. He was also using a SBC, though it was probably just a desktop replacement for the purpose.

Not a walk in the park for sure, but given enough time and effort, it’s doable. Especially with someone holding your hand. Thank you for the links. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Or holding agency gun to your face :rofl:

2 Likes

It’s time for building CPUs of your own . Just don’t know how to :grimacing: :thinking:
Is there any CPU/GPU manufacturers other than Intel , AMD and NVIDIA ??

1 Like

In short: Worthy (comparable by performance and features) / Trustworthy - no.
There are few Chinese and Russian (extremely outdated) ones i’ve heard…but no thx :laughing:

1 Like