Installing Windows after the fact

I’m applying for a job which would require me to have a Windows computer to work from home. If I get this job, I would have to use my own computer. I have a SSD and a larger HDD. What I would like to do is to put Windows on the HDD. How bad an idea is this to try to do? I realize it will mess up my grub boot. How hard will it be to get my EndeavourOS to boot properly again? (I need a job, but I’m almost hoping I won’t get it so I don’t have to ruin my perfect computer haha)

What job requires you to have a computer but doesn’t also provide one? That’s interesting.

Is it a desktop? I used to have separate SSD in one computer, one with Windows, one with Mint at the time and I would just use the BIOS if the computer to boot into respective disks.

2 Likes

Ummm - I would install rEFInd before Windows - then if grub goes, so what? (you could fix it easily after booting with rEFInd anyway)

2 Likes

Separate drives you can just select from boot menu in bios. If you are that worried just unplug the SSD (while the system is off :grinning:) and install windoze on the HD.

3 Likes

Not hard.

Prepare partitions, install Windows, restore GRUB.

Just make sure you have a Linux live installer environment prepared…

5 Likes

VOIP tech support :smiley:

3 Likes

Customer service, but yes.

1 Like

You didn’t state if your computer was a laptop or desktop.
If it is a desktop, I would highly recommend for reliability to do as @fbodymechanic suggested and use two separate storage devices and use BIOS (usually F11) to boot into the desired OS.

Pudge

1 Like

Once Windows is installed, boot Endeavour (with the Windows disk connected) and run the following:

sudo pacman -S --needed os-prober
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

That will add Windows to the GRUB menu.

1 Like

Personally, because this is what I do for work, I’d run Windows in a VM. That way you get the best of both worlds.

4 Likes

I’m running a laptop and am concerned that I don’t have the hardware to support that. I have only 16GB of RAM for example, when that’s the minimum amount that they state they need when I applied

Linux uses so much less RAM compared to Win10, you can give windows 8GB and be fine. Start with 2 cores & 4GB and see how it is, bump it up incrementally if need be.

1 Like

I have a laptop, but I did install it on my HDD with EndeavourOS on my SSD. Everything seems to be fine, except that Windows has already frowny face blue screened on me.

2 Likes

Installing Windows after the fact

Euw.

After, before, next to, above, below… all the same; euw.

Good luck [ps: your employer sounds quite sucky].

4 Likes

If your job is not some 3D modeling or game dev, but rather simple communication or something light - i’d make VM (VirtualBox is easy), not to mess with whole dual-boot thing!

I’d never accept such job though, it’s like insult :laughing:

When applying to new one i always first state: “If you want me as a professional - prepare for me to newer install / use: Windows, Skype, Zoom, TikTok, Instagram etc.” :rofl:

And i don’t hesitate to walk away, if it’s “required”, usually when you do so - some greater opportunity without bs comes out fast anyway :slight_smile:

But you know, just personal experience :upside_down_face:

1 Like

You could install W*****s on a separate drive and not mess with dual boot (i.e. not use grub to boot W*****s).

Though, I believe that malware called W*****s belongs locked away in a VM, and not on real hardware.

1 Like

As the OP mentioned, some hardware can’t handle VMs comfortably… so a dual boot of SOME kind is an answer…

Separate drive is a good idea, and rEFInd would handle that too, if desired - to save a BIOS trip every time the boot needs to be switched…

2 Likes

…or acquiring better hardware capable of running W*****s in a VM.

Hopefully, this job will come with some sort of a salary, so I think it’s a good investment not to have malware running on real hardware.

But that’s just my opinion :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m struggling to discern your sentiments here. Some people should learn to get off the fence. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

He’s going to get paid - but why create further misery by making it run worse? Besides, maybe it could be “Wine’d” after he runs it a while :grin: