Installing Fog. "sudo -i" and "su -" dont work

Hi there.

Im trying to install FOG project. https://wiki.fogproject.org/wiki/index.php/Installation

I’ve git cloned the project. i cant run ./installfog.sh I keep getting messages saying i need to use “sudo i” or “su -”. so i do. and get the same message. i’ve tried each command separately, then together (starting with both sudo and su). nothing works. just the same message over and over.

Edit: in case anyone ends up here in the future, let me save you some time. the responses below solve nothing. im told i dont know how to use sudo, or su. i logged in directly as root to demonstrate that sudo and su were not the issues, then i was told “Eeewww”. i was then told that because the program is 6 years old it “wont work” (yet linux fames its self for supporting everthing back to the 386 still).

not worth reading. i wish you luck in your search.

1. What ‘message’ are you getting? It would be helpful for anyone here to start troubleshooting. Can you post it here (the error-message)?

2. Either type sudo su
    or type sudo -i
    or type sudo -
    …to get into a root-shell.

3. From there run the script:
    ./installfog.sh
    …as it says in your link. :wink:

1 Like

I appreciate you trying to help. my issue and point is, like i said,

I keep getting messages saying i need to use “sudo i” or “su -”. so i do. and get the same message. i’ve tried each command separately, then together (starting with both sudo and su). nothing works. just the same message over and over.

The error im getting is as follows:

Please switch to a proper root environment to run the installer! Use 'sudo -i' or 'su -' (skip the ' and note the hyphen at the end of the su command as it is important to load root's environment)."

Can you read my post again, please, as I kept editing it while you were answering me already? - Thanks. :wink:

did. thanks. had to double take, i thought you were trolling before the first edit.

error has been included in my previous post.

I’ve tried “sudo -i” and “su -”.

to confirm, “sudo -” and "su -i " in case you ask, are not things.

still stuck at nothing happening.

Maybe you don’t have sudo installed? Is your user part of the wheel group? - See ArchWiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/sudo

This is a brand new fresh install of EOS from the website. all ive done since is run yay, run sudo pacman -Syu, and then start on this fog project.

I’ve never heard of ‘sudo’ not being installed. also, sudo works fine with pacman.

Ok, that’s baffling. You still don’t seem to be able to get into a root-shell, though?

Oh sudo -i and su - work fine, changing the command line to show im now the superuser.

Just doesnt run the bloody command.

When you use su - you are in Root’s home directory. You need to navigate to where the installer script is located (using the cd command).

1 Like

which i do. both by:

cd root
cd fogproject
cd bin

And by
cd /root/fogproject/bin

Nothing

I guess you mean the shell-script ./installfog.sh by “that bloody command”, right?

Did you check if the file installfog.sh has the executable flag set? Be sure to run sudo chmod +x on the file from within the same folder. :wink:

It’s in your home directory, not Root’s.

Yes, it is executible, the error message being generated is from the shell script.

Script is here

It’s in your home directory, not Root’s.

this is not the issue. i can execute the script. the error message generated is from within the script.

I think maybe you’re not understanding how shells work.

Anyway. the link you posted to FOG states:

(sudo works as well)

So, does this work:

sudo ./installfog.sh

Can you post the complete output of the script from the start until it stalls, please?

So, does this work:

no.

Can you post the complete output of the script from the start until it stalls, please?

“Please switch to a proper root environment to run the installer! Use ‘sudo -i’ or ‘su -’ (skip the ’ and note the hyphen at the end of the su command as it is important to load root’s environment).”

Edit: this is not a user error. we can stop testing for EBKAC now.

i went back to the login screen, LOGGED IN AS ROOT, and ran this. Same issue.

if someone could point me to the CODE issue, or what i need to do to be compatible with the code on a fresh endeavor OS KDE plasma install, from a fresk online install, that has had yay and pacman syu run, i’d appreciate it.

Seems it was last updated 7-8 years ago! - Wouldn’t expect it to run on a rolling distro, if I look into the installation manual…

Eww!!! You installed the “fogproject” folder to $ROOT, instead of your user’s $HOME?

3 Likes