Installing endeavour

Hello, I am totally new to linux and wish to install endeavour, currently running windows 10 on disk “C” which is having issues and will totaly fail in near future. I want to install Endeavour on disk “D”
, smaller but in good shape. I dont care about the info on disk D, so I can totaly overwrite it.
I was told windows is placing a heavy burden on this system, so Im looking to linux as an option.

Hardware information:
intel core2 duo E8400
dual channel 4 gb ram
ECS G31T-M7 motherboard
1024 mb ati radeon hd 5450 graphics card
74 GB drive “D”
298 WD drive “C”

Here`s the deal:
I cant understand how to validate the iso image I downloaded, need step by step, please help.

It’s all explained on the download page.

https://endeavouros.com/latest-release/

That is quite an old computer you have. I do have one of mine with a similar specification. I would recommend installing endeavour with the xfce desktop, not the kde or gnome variants. They may not perform as well with that computer and that amount of RAM.

3 Likes

Thank you, I will take a look at that desktop, I really havent decided on which one to install.

xfce is quite basic though. Kde is more Windows like I suppose. Gnome is very different. As you also have a graphics card then kde may also run ok. Personally I would upgrade to 8GB of RAM first. Either way you can always look at the different desktop environments online before doing an install. A bit of research is always good before jumping in! :wink:

Gnome and KDE are using around the same amount of RAM as Xfce nowadays, afaik. No need to make RAM a deciding factor anymore.

2 Likes

Thanks but I probably visited that page about a dozen times, it shows you “what to do” but I need help on “HOW to do it” .
Could you please help me with that?

Sure, you download the ISO first. You download the sha512sum file. To check the ISO you need to use the terminal. You have to run the command from the directory that you download the files to which normally is Downloads folder. So open a terminal and go to the Downloads directory.

cd Downloads

Run the command

sha512sum -c EndeavourOS_Artemis_neo_22_7.iso.sha512sum

Then you can check the GPG key also. Close the current terminal because you have the terminal opened in Downloads.

Now open a new terminal.
Download the gpg key with

gpg --recv-keys 8A63A62E

Now run

gpg --edit-key 8A63A62E

type in trust

then select the number you need to trust. I used #4
After to exit use q to quit.

Example:

[ricklinux@rick-ms7c37 ~]$ gpg --edit-key 8A63A62E
gpg (GnuPG) 2.2.36; Copyright (C) 2022 g10 Code GmbH
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

pub  ed25519/7EED78C58A63A62E
     created: 2022-05-23  expires: 2032-05-20  usage: C   
     trust: full          validity: unknown
sub  ed25519/D99A3385BD695FF7
     created: 2022-05-23  expires: 2023-05-23  usage: S   
[ unknown] (1). Bryan Poerwoatmodjo <bryanpwo@endeavouros.com>

gpg> trust

Please decide how far you trust this user to correctly verify other users' keys
(by looking at passports, checking fingerprints from different sources, etc.)

1 = I don't know or won't say
  2 = I do NOT trust
  3 = I trust marginally
  4 = I trust fully
  5 = I trust ultimately
  m = back to the main menu

Your decision? 4

gpg> q
[ricklinux@rick-ms7c37 ~]$ 

Then to verify the gpg key you need to be in the directory where you downloaded the ISO.

cd Downloads

Run the command
gpg --verify EndeavourOS_Artemis_neo_22_7.iso.sig

Example:

[ricklinux@rick-ms7c37 Downloads]$ gpg --verify EndeavourOS_Artemis_neo_22_7.iso.sig
gpg: assuming signed data in 'EndeavourOS_Artemis_neo_22_7.iso'
gpg: Signature made Wed 10 Aug 2022 04:50:08 AM EDT
gpg:                using EDDSA key 2D3C9514DCAB9FB6A95D75EED99A3385BD695FF7
gpg: Good signature from "Bryan Poerwoatmodjo <bryanpwo@endeavouros.com>" [unknown]
gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: E0D1 6589 967E 1FE6 8EF8  693E 7EED 78C5 8A63 A62E
     Subkey fingerprint: 2D3C 9514 DCAB 9FB6 A95D  75EE D99A 3385 BD69 5FF7
[ricklinux@rick-ms7c37 Downloads]$ 

Hopefully this helps you understand the process to validate the ISO. Once you follow this go back to the wiki and look it over again and i think you will then understand the instructions on that page. It should make more sense.

Edit: Hopefully i haven’t made any mistakes here. Let us know if you have any problem.

1 Like

I assume you are doing this in Windows? if so, the instructions on the website may or may not work. I think those instructions assume you are using Linux. Correct me if I am wrong.

Download both the the EndeavourOS_Artemis_neo_22_7.iso and the EndeavourOS_Artemis_neo_22_7.iso.sha512sum and they should be in your Downloads folder. Next, open a command prompt window in your Downloads folder, and issue the following command:

certutil -hashfile EndeavourOS_Artemis_neo_22_7.iso SHA512

And compare the output of the certutil command with the file EndeavourOS_Artemis_neo_22_7.iso.sha512sum. The long number string should be identical. I am sloppy, so I usually just check the first five characters of the string and the last five characters of the string. If those numbers and letters match, its a great chance that the entire string matches. You can go the extra mile and verify the whole sha512sum string if you wish.

The rest of the instructions for verifying and trusting the file is unnecessary, especially if the sha512sums match.

1 Like

Thanks @eznix
I was just trying to explain the instructions that are on the Wiki. I didn’t think about the OP using windows and matter of fact i wouldn’t know how this is done on Windows as i haven’t done that myself before. I’ve never thought of doing some of these things on Windows. I usually just verify the ISO with the sha512sum myself. I’m not a linux wizard so i just try to be helpful where i can and there are lots of things i am still gaining some knowledge about. Doesn’t always stick with me though as I’m not doing it all the time. Hopefully the OP has enough info now to move forward.

i would say the same … if you disable baloo in plasma and tracker in GNOME you should be able to run them just fine with such hardware… i have plasma running on a dualcore with 3GB of RAM indeed… on an SSD … not slick like i3 (my default used Environment) but fully usable.

The easiest method to get a verified ISO download, is just to download using torrent method.
They are, by design, checking shashums. :wink:

1 Like

I didn’t know that. I actually don’t use torrents that much but maybe i start. :wink:

1 Like

I downloaded both Iso image nad torrent file, torrent is much smaller:1.8 gb vs 145 kb Am I doing something wrong?

I tried this but I get a message: “certutil-hashfile” not recognized

While this is something, it’s not overly helpful. Please provide whatever you actually entered into terminal as well as the entire output received. Sometimes people miss a - mark or a uppper or lowercase letter. EVERYTHING matters. We need to see EVERYTHING you see to have any chance of helping.

There is a space you forgot:
certutil -hashfile
certutil is the command, and -hashfile is the switch, you need a space between the two.

You can always just copy the command as written:
certutil -hashfile EndeavourOS_Artemis_neo_22_7.iso SHA512

The torrent file should be opened by a bittorrent client. Qbittorrent is available for Windows:

You don’t need the bittorrent file since you already downloaded the ISO. The EndeavourOS_Artemis_neo_22_7.iso.sha512sum file is what you want to verify the ISO with. Hopefully the clarification on the certutil command was helpful.

No luck there, I copied the command and pasted it on cmd:

Microsoft Windows [Versión 10.0.19042.631]
(c) 2020 Microsoft Corporation. Todos los derechos reservados.

C:\Users\Torta>certutil -hashfile EndeavourOS_Artemis_neo_22_7.iso SHA512
CertUtil: -hashfile error del comando: 0x80070002 (WIN32: 2 ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)
CertUtil: El sistema no puede encontrar el archivo especificado.

C:\Users\Torta>

OK, half of it is in spanish, but I think you get the drift.