Installing Anaconda on EOS: appropiate manual

hello dear EOS-Experts

i want to install Anaconda on EOS. found this Manual in the net: well i guess that i can go this way too - even on EOS!?

see: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-the-anaconda-python-distribution-on-ubuntu-18-04

question: can i do the installation this way?

Installing Anaconda

The best way to install Anaconda is to download the latest Anaconda installer bash script, verify it, and then run it.
Find the latest version of Anaconda for Python 3 at the Anaconda Downloads page. At the time of writing, the latest version is 2019.03, but you should use a later stable version if it is available.
Next, change to the /tmp directory on your server. This is a good directory to download ephemeral items, like the Anaconda bash script, which we won’t need after running it.

cd /tmp

You should check the output against the hashes available at the Anaconda with Python 3 on 64-bit Linux page for your appropriate Anaconda version. As long as your output matches the hash displayed in the sha2561 row, you’re good to go.

Now we can run the script:

bash Anaconda3-2019.03-Linux-x86_64.sh

You’ll receive the following output:
… etc.

well i guess that i can go this way too - even on EOS!?

Anaconda is in the AUR:

yay -S anaconda

P.S

Don’t use random scripts to install software on :enos: always use pacman or yay Otherwise there is a risk to break your OS
Most scripts and tutorials on the I terest are for Ubuntu based systems and are not applicable on Arch based systems

3 Likes

have you tried it with the AUR package anaconda? I think it’s easier and quicker to install. you can also install anaconda in docker, there is an image.

1 Like

In that case I am just wondering if that is true. I also use anaconda and download it directly from source (anaconda website) and install on my computer. Using AUR here means there is sort of another middle man that packaged it to install via pacman.

I am not suggesting to download and install scripts or program from the internet rather than using pacman, but some software can be installed directly and they have a wrapper to update it. Same for example for qt and qt creator. I use the script and their installer as I can add remove components and try different qt versions on the fly. But then I install qt in my user directory rather than system wide. I need to do it to compile certain software with collaborators.

1 Like

Again it is not recommended and it can break your package manager and/or your system. It’s up to you

AUR is just build scripts. Most of the time they do the exact same stuff in those scripts you are referring to. If you read code in AUR its mostly bash.

But hey,

Your system your rule

1 Like

That’s why I am genuinely wondering about the advantage of using the AUR for this type of software. I haven’t tried installing anaconda via yay but as I recall, one updates directly anaconda in anaconda.

Its just that they recommend installing it that way for Linux (not Ubuntu specific)

https://docs.conda.io/projects/conda/en/latest/user-guide/install/linux.html

And don’t know how this could brake the system vs AUR. To my understanding using AUR and yay would install the same packages in the same place and the software is still managed by conda. But that may be my lack of knowledge

Edit would be good to know if yay installs anaconda on the user home directory like via the method above. Will have to try.

Because pacman keeps track of all files for all packages that are installed including the dependencies that are pulled. This makes removing them easier too
The scripts don’t do that. If something goes wrong, it is hard to remove all the stuff scripts do.

But if all that the scripts do are installing to your home directory (thus not needing root access or sudo) then that’s probably fine.
It seems that you still don’t understand what AUR is and does. You don’t like AUR? Why do you want to avoid it? Its very transparent, you can review the build scripts i.e. PKGBUILD. You can also compare them to the scripts you’re referring to

I think I do understand what AUR is, I also followed the arch wiki and installed packages manually via pacman and read the pkgbuild to learn.

I was just wondering if there are cases were installation via script is warranted over use of AUR. It’s because I recently installed dwm suckless, and I also pull packages via git and build locally on my system in home. It’s the preferred way over AUR for suckless software/philosophy I guess…

Edit: perhaps I am comparing oranges with apples here :sweat_smile: but so you understand why I am thinking about this.

You can write a PKGBUILD for it, use makepkg to build it and install using pacman -U.

Thats what I do for packages that aren’t there in AUR.

1 Like

That maybe a good exercise and can point to git to update via yay.

Anyhow, perhaps I am too OT. For this thread, preferred way is to use:

yay -S anaconda as referred to above by @sradjoker

I don’t know if you can connect it to yay, but there must be a way. Maybe others know about it.

I just build packages and put it on my local repo and add this repo to my pacman.conf
https://sar.sradjoker.cc/

1 Like

If I understand correctly, instead of downloading locally once the git package and build via pacman, yay can be used to track/uodate the git package, pull it, and then recompile via package manager.tonautomate the process.

1 Like

hi dear friends installed i t with

worked well

zeromq             pkgs/main/linux-64::zeromq-4.3.4-h2531618_0
  zfp                pkgs/main/linux-64::zfp-0.5.5-h295c915_6
  zict               pkgs/main/noarch::zict-2.0.0-pyhd3eb1b0_0
  zipp               pkgs/main/noarch::zipp-3.7.0-pyhd3eb1b0_0
  zlib               pkgs/main/linux-64::zlib-1.2.12-h7f8727e_2
  zope               pkgs/main/linux-64::zope-1.0-py39h06a4308_1
  zope.interface     pkgs/main/linux-64::zope.interface-5.4.0-py39h7f8727e_0
  zstd               pkgs/main/linux-64::zstd-1.4.9-haebb681_0

Preparing transaction: done
Executing transaction: / 

Installed package of scikit-learn can be accelerated using scikit-learn-intelex.
    More details are available here: https://intel.github.io/scikit-learn-intelex

For example:

$ conda install scikit-learn-intelex
        $ python -m sklearnex my_application.py

done
installation finished.
anaconda

guess that the start goes with a command in terminal…

You can also create a desktop/app menu icon. Or start via terminal :wink:

then it should continue, this is only part of the installation.

I did some research and there are different opinions on how to install anaconda. supposedly you shouldn’t install anaconda system-wide, but in the user directory, as described in the official instructions, otherwise it could damage the operating system.

I installed anaconda in the VM via AUR, when starting anaconda and later spyder, there were some error messages. when solving these problems, there were problems with python or pip in the operating system. the problems have spread to the operating system.

I would not install software that messes up the operating system.

Hello!
I just installed anaconda via paru -S anaconda
it seems it worked, but “anaconda : command not found”, the same for conda --version ecc…

any idea?
thanx

1 Like

Tried anaconda-navigator?

Could also be that you need to activate conda first conda activate

1 Like

installed annaconda with above mentioned commands - but at the moment i do not know how to start it in command-line

any ideas to start -
or to do final tests if the installation was performed well!?

hello community

installed Anaconda on EndeaourOS; Now i want to start all that things on comandline

installed with

yay -S anaconda

BTW: do i probably need to verify the installation - eg. conda!?

and subsequently - how to start anaconda on commandline!?

1 Like

This may be a helpful resource for getting started: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Conda

1 Like