Install nvidia gpu in Apollo

HI again, I have an old Nvidia gpu That originally came off a gigabyte z87 board. It is called Windforce by gigabyte. It’s serial # is133541018472,gigabyte #GV-N65TBOC-2GD Rev;1.0.
I have checked the Nvidia site but can’t figure out what the series is. So I tried Installer-470xx dkms. Checked it with their terminal and it says no board found after rebooting. Apollo comes up fine using the Asus z97-a board graphic driver; I switch my ViewSonic monitor to the nvidia card and get a blank screen. Is there another Nvidia driver I’ve missed that would work?

It looks like that is a GTX 650 Ti so the 470xx driver would be the right one.

Are you sure the board works?

Yes Sir . Just used it. Tried a reinstall.much different results. line with Patching kernel with nvidia-drm.modset=1. reboot. So I will and we will see what happens.cursor just froze up before I reached reboot. I rebooted Manually now install stopped after Started Hostname service.

Tried a complete reinstall. Got intermittent screen artifacts and the cursor froze up when I got to the install now screen.

can you report

inxi -Fza

see this for check nvidia installer
https://discovery.endeavouros.com/nvidia/nvidia-installer/2021/03/

GTX 650 Ti should work with either 470xx or 390xx series drivers.
You could try the nvidia-inst package and program (it is a new replacement for nvidia-installer-dkms).

But please provide details about the Nvidia card as @Stephane asked, or with command

lspci -vnn | grep NVIDIA

Sorry it took so long to respond.
inxi -Fza returns under Graphics: Device-1: Nvidia GK106 [GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost] vendor: Gigabyte
Driver: nouveau v: kernel non-free: 470xx+
Status: legacy-active (ELO ~2023/24) arch: Kepler pcie: gen: 1
Is that what you need?

That confirms drivers 470 and 390 series should work.

Stephane- Manuel
Sorry it took so long to respond.
inxi -Fza returns under Graphics: Device-1: Nvidia GK106 [GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost] vendor: Gigabyte
Driver: nouveau v: kernel non-free: 470xx+
Status: legacy-active (ELO ~2023/24) arch: Kepler pcie: gen: 1
Is that what you need?
lspci vnn | grep NVIDIA returns:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK106 [Geforce GTX 650 Ti Boost] [10de:11c2] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Thank you both, your help is greatly appreciated and sorry for the redundant post.
Should I try to change to the 470 driver with the Nvidia board installed and plugged into the monitor or should I leave the board out and run the monitor off the nouveau driver?
How exactly do I install the 470 series driver? Please walk me through that.

just follow this
https://discovery.endeavouros.com/nvidia/nvidia-installer/2021/03/

650ti is kepler so it should work nearly 100% with mesa/ Nouveau ootb

Kepler is probably the best option for OSS nvidia GPU atm as its the last generation with reclocking between maxwell and current gen.

As mentioned above, the nouveau driver should work. Use that if you don’t need the additional features of the Nvidia driver.

Try nvidia-inst:

sudo pacman -Syu nvidia-inst # install the package
nvidia-inst -h               # get some help
nvidia-inst -t               # test it without changing anything

and show the results here.

If everything seems OK, then run

# This step is needed for 470 and 390 series drivers, adds a new package source to /etc/pacman.conf
nvidia-inst --legacyrepo

# Install Nvidia legacy drivers
nvidia-inst
1 Like

Thanks Manuel That Worked!

2 Likes

I assume you used nvidia-inst as suggested, right?

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.