Install fails at bootloader phase

Well it is using amdgpu which should work.

So on boot it brings up the bootloader. Which has endeavor with Linux Linux, and another entry with fallback initramfs. Whatever that is

Yet Iā€™ve got the black screen again on reboot, weird.

Canā€™t switch tty either

Well Itā€™s got to be Graphics related or with the desktop manager. Unfortunately itā€™s late here and i have to get up early. Maybe some help from someone else and or tomorrow.

Edit: At least we got the installation to succeed.

Ok thanks. Yeah Iā€™ve done an all nighter here aha.

I might try to reinstall with a different de I guess

Sure ā€¦you could try that also. Xfce would be a good choice too.

Okay, thanks again for all the help

Did some looking around and it seems I might need to downgrade the Linux kernel somehow

EDIT: Using the offline installer worked so the issue is with the newer kernel version it seems.

So if I run an update will it break again?

Along with update install another kernel as a fallback:

sudo pacman -Syu linux-lts linux-lts-headers

After reboot you will have boot menu entries for both kernels. If one doesnā€™t work, try the other.

By the way, the original problem likely was this:

When you deleted extra boot entries you got enough space to install the bootloader.

2 Likes

@neilh90
So you were able to successfully install Xfce with the offline installer and it is able to boot to a full desktop? As @manuel suggests if you run the update command with installing the lts kernel and lts headers as shown above you will have an option to boot to the lts kernel if the update happens to cause a black screen.

Loading Linux linuxā€¦
Loading initial ramdiskā€¦

So I used the online installer and on reboot it hung here. I could not switch tty.

I reinstalled with the offline installer but when I ran pacman -Syu it updated the Linux kernel so it seems that is the issue. Now I canā€™t boot again.

Iā€™m not too experienced with Linux but let me know of you need any more info.

I have a radeon graphics card. Using a HP Pavilion laptop.

Thanks

You could try linux-lts kernel. Therefore you can arch-chroot into your system as described here . After that do a

pacman -Syu linux-lts linux-lts-headers

and

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

in case you use grub.

Afterwards reboot and select the linux-lts entry.

Ok thanks guys I will try this nowā€¦

@ricklinux yeah I was able to install it, I had no WiFi though and needed to tether. I guess my laptop has one of the few not supported out the box, I found an aur package for it and am trying to build it

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/rtl8821ce-dkms-git/

THis is the one

EDIT: Ok I ran the commands

pacman -Syu linux-lts linux-lts-headers

and

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

and that worked. I still cannot get into the newer kernel but the LTS one seems to be working for now. Do you guys think there might be a way to get the newer kernel working?

Iā€™m not sure what the issue is so you may have to provide some boot logs. You can do that with the log tool that is in the menu.

You could also try a kernel parameter. Iā€™m just guessing though as I donā€™t have any info. I might try amdgpu.dc=0 in the default grub command line. Then you have to update the grub with a command.

But first letā€™s just look at a bootlog first. Itā€™s the one journalctl - b -0

Edit: Itā€™s probably not going to be helpful though as it does work on the lts kernel.

You can post inxi -N to show what wifi chips you have see if you got the right package.

Ah I chose send results to internet but it said no results to fetch

EDIT: http://ix.io/2RBg

Iā€™m not sure but I donā€™t think it logged the failed attempt to boot into linux 511

I think the log is just the boot with the lts kernel. Did you get the wifi working with the Aur package? Not sure what chip it is? inxi -N will show it.

Yes thanks, the AUR package works.

Youā€™ve helped me a lot, I was wondering if you could tell me good resources to learning more about Linux. Things like the terminal. I want to be more capable and understand how things work.

As for updates, since I have a aur package now, should I be running yay -Syu instead of Pacman, also how often should I be running -Syu?

The defacto package manager is pacman. yay is an AUR helper but you can also use it to update. The wiki has info on yay. You can also use the man pages. Normally i use pacman mostly.

sudo pacman -Syu

or

yay -Syu

Yay updates both the AUR packages and and packages in the Arch repo.

You can use the man pages for info on commands.

man pacman
or
man yay
or
man inxi

So maybe you leave the lts kernel for a while and when it updates the current kernel to a new one you could try booting it into the regular kernel again. Iā€™m not sure what the issue is currently. You would have to get into some of the logs trying to boot on the regular kernel. In the mean time you can try learn what you can i guess.

Edit: I have a newer HP with Ryzen 4700U and have no issues.

You donā€™t even need the -Syu with yay actually. Just type yay and itā€™ll update both repo and AUR packages.

1 Like