Install fails at bootloader phase

This happens right near the end of the installation progress. I initially tried setting my own partitions but have since tried the automatic setup. As it stands I have no system on my laptop and getting it working is a high priority. Any help is highly appreciated.

Boost.Python error in job “bootloader”.
Command ‘grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=EndeavourOS --force’ returned non-zero exit status 1.
Installing for x86_64-efi platform. Could not prepare Boot variable: No space left on device grub-install: error: efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: Input/output error.

Traceback:
File “/usr/lib/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py”, line 476, in run
prepare_bootloader(fw_type)

File “/usr/lib/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py”, line 448, in prepare_bootloader
install_grub(efi_directory, fw_type)

File “/usr/lib/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py”, line 310, in install_grub
check_target_env_call([libcalamares.job.configuration[“grubInstall”],

File “”, line 6, in

EDIT: I only chose one DE, I have tried to install three times with the same error using a different DE each time. I also tried the offline installer.

Hello @neilh90
First of all Welcome. Just wanted to ask if you have made sure that secure boot and fast boot are turned off in UEFI. Also how did you create your live usb and are you using the latest ISO?

Hi Rick, thanks for the response.

I have secure boot and legacy disabled. Fast boot is not an option I have seen.

I am using the latest ISO yes. I wrote it to USB using the program Etcher. I’m typing this from the live environment and it seems to be working fine, except I cannot install.

Are you using erase disc with options or using manual partitioning? Is this a dual boot or some other configuration?

I first tried to set the partitions manually. I set /boot/efi, swap and //

When I got the error posted above I tried the erase whole disk option and got the same error.

So now I am unsure what to do. My hard drive has been wiped so I have so sytstem, only this bootable USB.

Okay …so here is what i would do. Open gparted and click on device, create partition table and select gpt and click apply. This will delete all the partitions and create a new gpt. Then close gparted and start the installer and use erase disc if you like with what ever options such as swap file.

Edit: Hopefully that works this time.

Ok thanks I’ll try but I imagine I get the same result as the first time I tried it right?

If you do use manual partitioning you have to have an efi partition that is fat 32 and marked /boot/efi and flagged /boot. Along with a swap if desired and / that is ext4 format typically. efi partition should be minimum of 300 mb and recommended is 550 mb by Arch.

Hopefully not. Give it whirl and well see. Sometimes Calamares has an issue occasionally. But it also could be something else but lets try first.

Oh someone previously told me to set the boot/efi to 150mb which is what I tried. I already started the installer again just using the installers default setup. But if that fails again I’ll try manually setting with that setup

The error looks like it had to do with the efi partion. It should be formatted to fat 32 and be 300 mb minimum but Arch recommends 550. You also have to make sure of two other things. That it is marked /boot/efi and flagged /boot. 300 mb is fine for the efi partition and i think the auto install does that.

Ah I just opened gparted while the installer is running (careful to not change anything) and it has made a 300mb one by default. I wonder what the issue is then. 42% installed now.

Consistently stops at the bootloader part though

Just let it finish without causing any issue. :wink:

Boost.Python error in job “bootloader”.
Command ‘grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=EndeavourOS --force’ returned non-zero exit status 1.
Installing for x86_64-efi platform. Could not prepare Boot variable: No space left on device grub-install: error: efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: Input/output error.

Traceback:
File “/usr/lib/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py”, line 476, in run
prepare_bootloader(fw_type)

File “/usr/lib/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py”, line 448, in prepare_bootloader
install_grub(efi_directory, fw_type)

File “/usr/lib/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py”, line 310, in install_grub
check_target_env_call([libcalamares.job.configuration[“grubInstall”],

File “”, line 6, in

Okay give me a minute to read something . I think i know what the issue is.

Can you run efibootmgr and see if there are a lot of entries.

Edit: Run this in the terminal
Edit2: Can you post the output too?

efibootmgr

Ok here is the output.

[liveuser@eos-2021.02.03 ~]$ efibootmgr
BootCurrent: 0006
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 0006,0000,0005,0001,0004
Boot0000* Manjaro
Boot0001 Windows Boot Manager
Boot0004 ubuntu
Boot0005* USB Drive (UEFI) - Philips USB Flash Drive PMAP
Boot0006* USB Drive (UEFI) - Philips USB Flash Drive PMAP
[liveuser@eos-2021.02.03 ~]$

I have not had Windows or Ubuntu for a very long time. Manjaro is the system I am coming from (now earased from my hard drive)

I don’t see that many that should be causing the problem but i had this once before so maybe we delete the entries.
sudo efibootmgr -b 0005, 0004, 0001, 0000 -B

hmm I got this sorry:

[liveuser@eos-2021.02.03 ~]$ sudo efibootmgr -b 0005, 0004, 0001, 0000 -B
Invalid bootnum value0005,

Okay try without 0005

sudo efibootmgr -b 0004, 0001, 0000 -B