Install EnOS on Alienware area 51

Hello community!

Right, I would really really, like to install EnOS on my pc and finally own it (purging windows) since I did spend close to 5k on the whole setup. By now you probably all know that I don’t know that much about Linux. Do you think it’s doable or is it most likely just going to be stress, disaster and failure. I don’t game that much… lol one game, World of tanks. Even that game though I haven’t played in over six months. I assuming it will be really difficult especially because of the graphics card. But if I can sit at my desk and learn Linux on my PC that would be fantastic.

The specs:

Alienware Area-51 R5
Processor: Intel Core i7-9800x CPU @ 3.80GHz
BIOS Mode: UEFI
BIOS Version/Date: Alienware 2.0.3 27/05/2019
monitor: predator xb321hk
resolution: 3820 x 2160 x 59 hertz
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
SSD1: Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1 TB
SSD2: Samsung SSD 860 PRO 512 GB
HDD1: TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 1.82 TB

Also I’ve never installed Arch or any Linux distro over 3 hard drives, so I don’t know how that would work.

I would really appreciate your advice.

Many thanks,

Muj

Yes. 

Partitions and mount points. Install / to one partition, add the other partitions either as parts of the hierarchy or as separate locations.

Hi @jonathon, hope your good.

I know I’ll have questions later about the GPU but I can seek help if I need it later. What I need to know to start with is about the installation and drives etc.

So in the calarmes installer I’d need to customise the partitioning myself. Would this be okay:

on the 860 pro put root (rest of drive space after swap and boot) with ext4 and boot fat 32 512MB and 16GB swap with hibernation

on the 970 pro put home (whole drive space)

lol I don’t know what the other drive would be used for.

Of course it’s doable! What is your plan fro the 3 drives? The samsung 970 Pro is the fastest. You are going to wipe all the drives? Get rid of Windows 10? How is it set up now? I think that’s what @jonathon is asking?

aaaaaahhhhhh hahaha, I’m excited guys.

Yeah I’d like to get rid of windows once and for all. It’s got windows 10 spyware on it at the moment.

I do know at least that the 970 is the fastest. lol Thats about all I know.

What would any of you recommend the best setup would be. Honestly I’ll just go with what you lot think as you know best

Couple of things to be aware of. In UEFI you need to turn off secure boot and fast boot before installing.

yep I know that

1 Like

There are so many options such as separate home partition, swap or not or swap file, encryption, BTRFS setup with timeshift and snapshots? Not sure what you have in mind or want?

I would like the best and most proficient but… what I think would be best is whatever is easiest.

I’ve used fdisk when installing Arch on one drive but other than that I don’t have a clue how I would do it with the calamares installer and over different drives.

I’m happy making my own timeshifts with rsync, btrfs confuses me at the moment.

I think using ext 4 like i’ve done in the past for home and root is probably best. I’d like swap if with hybernation but not because I understand it but I’m thinking it’s good lol.

I think like I’ve done in the past 3 partitions boot, root and swap. home goes on the root partition. But with that setup how would I make use of all the drives?

The calamares installer allows you to erase disc with swap and hibernation to make it easy and it sets up the required partitions but if you wanted a separate home partition you would have to use manual partitioning and do everything.

So with the 3 partition setup boot, root and swap do I put all those partitions on one drive? Does that then mean I won’t be using the other ssd and hdd?

Yes …

mmhh, thats not good. I want to be using all the drives or at least both the ssd’s. lol Whats the easiest best way for me to do that?

Why?

If you don’t have any other reason to do things a different way, put the OS on one SSD. This leaves you the other SSD for “stuff” and the HDD for media. You can mount them separately afterwards.

Why? You can use them for some other purpose such as setting up Timeshift and or a backup program? Or saving all your data files to one of them? It’s up to you what you do. I have multiple drives on my system and i multi boot from them.

1 Like

Oh okay I misunderstood you. If i’ll still be able to make use of them, mounting them like you said storage or backup thats fine then. lol I’ll have to check the how of all that later, hopefully i’ll be able to deal with that on my own.

So best plan of action for now is to install everything on the 970 pro. 3 partitions boot, root, and swap. Can Calamares do all of that for me or do I have to customise it in the installation?

I think it would be helpful if you boot on the live ISO and post the output of your hardware. You can use inxi -Fxxxa --no-host

You may have to install inxi first if it’s not on the live ISO? I can’t recall if it is.

yay -S inxi

Calamares can erase disc with swap & hibernation. Just make sure it’s on the right disc in the top right corner of the installer when you get to that stage.

Edit: Also the only issue you may have is with the Nvidia card so i would select Nvidia drivers in the online installer and also printing support if you need it. Then after you could switch nvidia to the dkms version which is what i would suggest using. Be nice to see the hardware specs.

I will do that as soon as I can.

Tomorrow I have to go and see my dad so I probably won’t be able to try the installation until Monday now.

Thanks for the headsup on Nvida, lol scratch that MASSIVE thanks to you both for all your help and support.

If you know you’re going to install EnOS then why not try loading the installer and finding this out?

That is, stop delaying and get it done. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like