Indexed Search with BTRFS (not Baloo)

Test it.

Not easily.

Does it do indexing inside of files? Then thatā€™d be the answer to my question!

Yes.

1 Like

Smooch @dalto !

:grinning:

Yes you did!

@anon11595408
You are on BTRFS?

I could be. I am on Fedora Btrfs on 2 devices. Yet, the pdf library is just huge. A dearful thoughtā€¦ as of yet.

You are the man then! :muscle:
You have BTRFS
You have lots of files
You are looking for an indexing application, right?

Why not try Recoll and let us know how it goes?

I wonder if this is logical for you! I noticed the :rofl: and the like you made to the post!

If not it is OK of courseā€¦ it is your machineā€¦ your data after all.

1 Like

Oh Kay.
You got me nailedā€¦
Will see how it goesā€¦ and ā€¦ while my main machine (more powerful, both old) are online, I wonā€™t connect to the web while trying this out, of course!

This indexing could take weeks, not days, though.

@limotux
Just turn off baloo. If you are on KDE have you not tried kfind?

Noā€¦ not at allā€¦ it is absolutely up to you to try it or not! I can never put myself in a situation that I make someone lose his data or have problems with his system.

No worry of failures, here. Only worries would be my electricity bill!

:rofl:

I just did (my post above) Toooooooooooo slowwwwwww .zzzzz :sleeping:!

Please! I can not withstand the feeling of guiltā€¦ causing any harm to anybody!

OKā€¦ just be sure - in case it does not work as expected - how can you uninstall Recoll and revert to a normal situation. You are on BTRFS so you can i think easily! Right? This is is why I am causing all this headache (especially to @dalto about BTRFS.

About the electricity bill I can help with that.
I will allow you to wait till the morning to try recoll, so you can use sun light! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hello!! Sir?
Why donā€™t you try out recoll with your own small number of documents on your own and let us know?

My advice (very intimate):
Trust Btrfs!

If you are on Btrfs and KDE just turn off baloo and use the computer. Problem solved.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I am on EXT4.
If I am on BTRFS I would have done it for sure.
I am just trying to avoid making a fresh install with BTRFS, try Recoll, if it does not work I will be making another fresh install with EXT4 (plus other installations and configurations I did since I installed the system)

Butā€¦he needs a full content indexing solution. I donā€™t think turning off baloo solves that problem.

1 Like

unfortunately I am not on BTRFS
I just want to avoid doing a BTRFS fresh install then if it did not work do another fresh install with EXT4.

Sorry, I hope I did not ask too much from anybody!

Trust the system!

Btrfs is there for you now. Forget all the warnings against new systems. Install it on a test-instance, and go seeā€¦

And above all, trust what @dalto says.