In your opinion which is the most good looking DE available?

You are not wrong. I have dwm, dmenu and st installed on my secondary computer, a NUC7. I’ve used a few patches and configured dmenu a little, but I keep the setup quite basic. DWM is really the best tiling window manager and the only sensible contender (IMHO) is bspwm (which I have on my main linux computer). Of course the DEs provide a bit more razzle-dazzle, but once you get into tiling window managers, there is no turning back, in my opinion.

4 Likes

depends on your needs imo

Gnome/KDE are the only 2 that really handle color correction well for screens so if you need that all others are out. If you want complete customization something like OpenBox you build from the ground up will give you 100% exactly what you want and nothing else.

Im personally a big fan of Gnome though i know many arent

2 Likes

20 Likes

I think Pantheon is pretty nice from the beginning. I have been running elementaryOS for a few years on a computer. A little locked down unfortunately. But quite beautiful.

I like the Apple style better the Windows style. I have been on Apple for 10 years before I switched to Windows/Linux. However, I have been working with Linux for many years from time to time.

Otherwise Xfce with a few tweaks. Pure love! <3

2 Likes

KDE, of course. Only KDE can give me the extensive customization that I require.

It’s beautiful.

dt_01

12 Likes

Or just openbox + rofi and plank more dont you need :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No doubt about that. KDE is by far the most customisable DE ever. There is pretty much no limit to how far you can take that. And, for how much blo… features it contains, it is incredibly light on resources.

4 Likes

I think KDE is the best, if you customize it to your liking. Only issue is that you have to config it to the core if you want to have the theme’s desktop (shows up in the screenshot of it), which imo is kinda sad.

KDE Plasma is the best IMO

1 Like

The one “eye” use! What else?

:eyeglasses:

7 Likes

I usually do my desktop environments as I always do no matter what I have.

Here is a good example.

elementaryOS with Pantheon:

elementary-OS-5.1.4-Hera-Light-Theme-02

Debian 10 with Gnome:

Debian-GNU-Linux-10-(buster)-01

Arch with Xfce:

pNqzMLW

Looks almost the same. Slight color differences and minor details only.

5 Likes

@anon3337769

I never seen KDE look so sexy … :wink::joy:

5 Likes

It looks like Fluxbox! :grin:

Actually I love Fluxbox: pure text configs, no html or other stuff. Sad thing is I can’t be bothered to configure it anymore, so I’m using KDE which is pretty much the opposite end of the scale. Hey, I never did make much sense, even to myself! :wink: :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Mine.

12 Likes

I used to say Deepin, out of the box, but with Deepin being what it is now, I have to go with Pantheon.

If I’m allowed to tweak the DE (and I am), I’ll always chose KDE.

2 Likes

I think if you don’t know KDE too well then it’s easy to get lost in the menus because of the huge choice. Once you know it more then it’s great. I always do an install with basic Plasma though, and then build it up from there.

3 Likes

Is there any news regarding qt licensing for KDE in the future?

1 Like

Whis is why I use Openbox - despite some thinking it is old - yes - old but not obsolete - any one recognizes that phrase?

Absolute - I use openbox, rofi and polybar and tint2

Screenshot

5 Likes

It’s getting off-topic, but can you share your polybar config?

1 Like
https://uex.dk/public/archive/configs

I have used a mix of fonts to display polybar - you will probably need some of them too. - The clock can - if clicked on icon - display a calendar using gsimplecal - if clicked on the time it will change/switch between 12/24 hour format.

I will locate the font packages I use and drop them in the configs folder.

2 Likes