I'm limotux, Just Saying Hi! Hope I'm Welcome!

No i mean if you go to KDE? I’m not suggesting you install it on Xfce.

Sorry! I was sleepy and didn’t get you right. It was bed time :grinning:
I don’t know if my machine can handle KDE properly. I had hard time with KDE on Manjaro

It probably can. Manjaro’s KDE is a bit more bloated than vanilla KDE. A good idea is to disable baloo file indexing, since that slows down Plasma quite a bit, especially when the installation is new, or when you add a filesystem to an existing installation.

I have a laptop from 2013 with 5 GB of RAM that runs Plasma flawlessly, even the fancy compositing and wobbly windows (it does need an older LTS kernel, though, but that has nothing to do with KDE).

If you really can’t get Plasma to run smoothly, that means you probably have to use a really minimalist setup, like dwm or i3. But that is clearly not the case, since you are running Xfce, which actually needs more resources than Plasma – long gone are the days where Xfce was less bloated than Plasma! Therefore, I’m almost certain you can run Plasma.

Welcome!

I just said, OK, just throw yourself in!
I installed dolphin and it pulled Baloo with it.
Running

balooctl status

frequently it seems it is already working as I see “Total files indexed” increasing every time.

I just want to be sure baloo will run automatically and keep indexing upon reboot. Something like "sudo systemctl baloo’ ?

Great thing is to install any desktop environments and display managers and just choose before login :slight_smile:

Trust me my CPU on desktop is like 10 years old and KDE vs XFCE same in experience and snappiness. It is when you load up web browser and lots of tabs of content and youtube you realise the footprint of desktop environment no longer matters :smiley:

Well, just installing Dolphin which got Baloo with it did the job.
I just finished indexing all my files and searching for fie content with dolphin is working perfectly.

And XFCE seems OK with me. I don’t need all the fancy stuff of KDE, especially XFCE seems faster and lighter than KDE. (Though I lived on KDE -and loved- all the time and XFCE just 36 hours ago!)
I’m going to uninstall catfish and the gnome-search-tool as they are not working. Just to be sure they won’t be trying to index and putting some load on my processor or memory.

1 Like

Just installing Dolphin does not mean you’re using KDE Plasma now.

This is the exact opposite of reality, at least on all computers I’ve ever in the last two years. Xfce is subjectively slower and objectively heavier than Plasma (and this has been the case at least since Plasma 5.1).

Does KDE run into framerate issues like gnome/mutter on older into iGPU? I don’t pay attention to KDE mostly but I know that sometimes and with certain resolutions you can get stutter in gnome on older Intel graphics.

I’m pretty sure @limotux machine is using Ivy Bridge iGPU.

Welcome aboard :partying_face: :partying_face:

Thank you very much M1_ke

1 Like

This is a surprise for me! Are you sure?! I had big issues with KDE (Manjaro), was almost freezing most of the time. Maybe my machine is not that powerful?
Here it is:

[limo@lenovo ~]$ inxi
CPU: Dual Core Intel Core i5-3210M (-MT MCP-) 
speed/min/max: 1197/1200/3100 MHz Kernel: 5.14.5-arch1-1 x86_64 Up: 12m 
Mem: 1617.8/3772.8 MiB (42.9%) Storage: 465.76 GiB (12.5% used) Procs: 181 
Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.05 
[limo@lenovo ~]$ 

Would it be OK for KDE?
If so, I hope someone help me with an issue I had while installing EndeavourOS, I couldn’t by any means connect to internet to install KDE.

What If I install KDE prom pamac and restart and run KDE? Would it be OK? No conflicts with XFCE?

Sorry I’m not that expert, but here is my machine"

[limo@lenovo ~]$ inxi
CPU: Dual Core Intel Core i5-3210M (-MT MCP-) 
speed/min/max: 1197/1200/3100 MHz Kernel: 5.14.5-arch1-1 x86_64 Up: 12m 
Mem: 1617.8/3772.8 MiB (42.9%) Storage: 465.76 GiB (12.5% used) Procs: 181 
[limo@lenovo ~]$ 

[limo@lenovo ~]$ inxi -F
System:
  Host: lenovo Kernel: 5.14.5-arch1-1 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0 
  Distro: EndeavourOS 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 20157 v: Lenovo G580 
  serial: <superuser required> 
  Mobo: LENOVO model: Emerald Lake 2 v: FAB1 serial: <superuser required> 
  UEFI: LENOVO v: 62CN34WW date: 04/26/2012 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 27.4 Wh (97.5%) condition: 28.1/42.8 Wh (65.6%) 
CPU:
  Info: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-3210M bits: 64 type: MT MCP cache: 
  L2: 3 MiB 
  Speed: 1199 MHz min/max: 1200/3100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1199 2: 1197 
  3: 1197 4: 1253 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
  Device-2: Acer Lenovo Integrated Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
  Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.13 driver: loaded: intel 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: <missing: xdpyinfo> 
  Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing. 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio 
  driver: snd_hda_intel 
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.14.5-arch1-1 running: yes 
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.0 running: yes 
Network:
  Device-1: Broadcom BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter driver: wl 
  IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 08:ed:b9:97:27:0f 
  Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8162 Fast Ethernet driver: alx 
  IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: f0:de:f1:fd:53:97 
Bluetooth:
  Device-1: Foxconn / Hon Hai Broadcom BCM20702 Bluetooth type: USB 
  driver: btusb 
  Report: rfkill ID: hci0 rfk-id: 3 state: down bt-service: disabled 
  rfk-block: hardware: no software: no address: see --recommends 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 465.76 GiB used: 58.21 GiB (12.5%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST9500325AS size: 465.76 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 456.88 GiB used: 58.21 GiB (12.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 511 MiB used: 296 KiB (0.1%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/sda1 
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: file size: 512 MiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) file: /swapfile 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 54.0 C mobo: 49.0 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 178 Uptime: 22m Memory: 3.68 GiB used: 1.8 GiB (49.0%) 
[limo@lenovo ~]$ 

Is it OK for KDE? Can I install now from pamac and reboot into KDE?

No, it’s a bit more complicated than that.

Well, as I am naughty as usual I got from Scotty_Trees at Install KDE on XFCE? a few links on how to do it.
It took some time to “almost” clean the mess, but it was OK.
Testing KDE now and hoping it will work fine :crossed_fingers:

A fresh install of KDE is best.

1 Like

Unfortunately yes… I tried everything… no way, so I installed off line with XFCE.
Later on I installed KDE Plasma, removed most of XFCE, then tweaked KDE, and it was fine.

As I mentioned I’m naught by nature, so I messed up the whole thing.
Reinstalled Again (offline XFCE) BUT

This time I did it BTRFS as per @QAP advice.
To my surprise it booted in less than half the time. :partying_face:

I’ll go allover again, install dropbox, dolphin (fore file search)… timeshift and BackInTime of course. (or I don’t need them in BTRFS? Sorry, I’m not that techie)

1 Like

Install timeshift so you can have a nice snapshot of fresh install prior to installing all your packages again. Then go about installing dropbox etc. Just in case along the way whilst you’re installing mass amounts of packages it goes funny.

Nice guide here for timeshift Remember to exclude your home directory as you already will have Dropbox backing up your files anyway. i.e. Don’t want to restore your system to only then find out it also restored all your office docs etc as well!

Sure I will TimeShift.
I want to first create a thread at XFCE forum, to know how to speed up XFCE by disabling/uninstalling unnecesary features as I did a day ago with KDE Plasma (please see other thread)

I think something similar can be done in XFCE, but I’m not that experienced with XFCE.

Home directory will be done in BackInTime.

I don’t recommend using backup in your home directory. You have a Dropbox folder within home directory already doing the job syncing data real-time and will conflict in versioning. So can just keep all your documents in there. Unless you’re using BackInTime for folders outside of Dropbox.