If not EndeavourOS, what distro would you be using?

Void and/or BSD

MX
Garuda
Fedora 36

1 Like

Fortunately Arch is not going away. But let’s play along.
I have to keep rolling, and because of that:

or

3 Likes

If I didn’t use EndeavourOS, I would use Debian-based distributions, as I actually do on some machines.

Regolith Linux.

I hate to say it, but if EOS should rest in peace, I will have to deal with Manjaro out of necessity :nauseated_face:.

Other options perhaps:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_based_distributions

1 Like

MX Linux or Arch, I use endeavour as it is easy to install and get going

2 Likes

Why when there is anarchy, arco, and Garuda which are all closer to EOS than Manjaro is?

2 Likes

Because I’m an old man who also doesn’t want to do so much myself at some point …

Btw: Garuda falls out anyway (for reasons …)

But the whole thing is only speculative anyway, because EOS will exist at least until it is bought up by Microsoft (and then nothing is important in this world any more anyway …)

I was on Fedora before EOS and it was stable as rock. After I bought some AMD hardware I wantet to install KDE but I did not like Fedora spin so I moved to EOS. So far everything has been smooth sailing. I love how minimal this OS is out of box.

4 Likes

Well the good thing is if EOS for some reason does go away, I am sure they would do like antergos did and your install will just turn into regular arch, so if you didn’t want to go setting up things you really wouldn’t have to, you would just not get any updates any more from EOS specific packages.

3 Likes

Well - the obvious answer to his conundrum is to build an Arch, then add a copy of the EndeavourOS repo to it! The DIFFICULT part would be to find a forum nearly as nice to be part of!

Of course, there are other Arch build out there, some of them would be supportable, especially if they had the added EnOS repo too! :grin:

3 Likes

… i give outsiders a chance, maybe Sculpt OS or Redox OS.

:smiling_face_with_tear:

no, for ever Arch and BSD

2 Likes

I don’t give a flying penguin what it will be.
It can be any one of them or none for some time.

I’m more familiar with debs (for my taste synaptic was the top graphical package manager, I’ve never used the “modern” software centers on any of my distributions) but I don’t care if package managing is different. In this area all my distributions are terminal centric, a visit here, a few aliases in .bashrc and then agi, paci, dnfi, agu, pacu, dnfu… no difference.

I’ve tried dozens of distributions in the 22 years I’ve been using linux. I don’t even remember the names on most of them.
I’ve done installations, manual partitioning, writing by hand linux loaders… while reading instructions and commands from printed wiki’s (no internet or live environment back then), with no idea what I was doing and the system -usually- worked. I was not a guru, just rtfm. It wasn’t knowledge it was suffering… and more RTFM. I learned things but I’ve forgotten them now.

Ι see no reason anymore to spend 2-3 hours on installation and troubleshooting or so many more to compile my own kernel. Even when I did them I didn’t know what I was doing. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t give a flying penguin if the distribution is hot or not btw as long as it gets my attention and has some things I ask for.

After all these years I pretty much know what I want. Quick installation, flexibility in whether I use DE or wm and bleeding edge software are basics. A friendly forum and maybe an active subforum in things I’m interested in is on the plus side.

With these criteria endeavouros has 4/5 for me (openbox sb is not so active).

6 Likes

Penguins don’t actually fly, they fall (or swim*) :wink:

9 Likes

I checked tumbleweed again for a project the previous days and was impressed how polished it looked (I selected KDE at install) out of the box. I was always impressed by tumbleweed, but right now, even more so, much more so than leap, which has a more conservative look.
The size of the software repositories compared to arch or even debian (with additional PPAs) is kind of its biggest letdown, but the installer and the system itself is rock solid and show a high attention to details.

I hope EndeavourOS stays 'til I’m pushing up the daisies. But in a pinch vanilla Arch would be the obvious choice.

2 Likes

I have never compared them, but I guess you are right.
When I used it, I enabled Packman repo and installed OPI and I found what my modest set needs.

Don’t mess with the Penguin!

index

2 Likes