I Installed Grub 2:2.12-2 from [core-testing] so you don't have to šŸ˜œ

We all remember the havoc that some Grub update wreaked on many usersā€™ systems a while back.

Many are still ā€œtraumatizedā€ from the experience. Some have moved on to other boot -loaders/-managers.

I went all in Guinea pig today and installed Grub 2:2.12-2 from core-testing repo.

[2024-03-17T11:09:57+0100] [ALPM] upgraded grub (2:2.12-1 -> 2:2.12-2)
[2024-03-17T11:09:57+0100] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]      # grub-install ...
[2024-03-17T11:09:57+0100] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]      # grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Following the suggestion in the terminal to the letter, I reinstalled the efi binary (grub-install with my own options) and regenerated grub.cfg.

After some moment of light anxiety, upon reboot, everything came back up.

All well in my corner of the Archland.

:warning:
Do Not Try This At Home!
YMMV.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t see that you had posted this already and referenced someone else that just posted about the grub update.

As you reference above, I think the topic here relates more to grub issues coming back to haunt users.

Edit: As @eznix points out elsewhere, I was incorrect. Besides, I was merely guessing to try and help another user. Oh wellā€¦

Grub update just went stable, so everyone should see the update now, but thanks. The update this time was a rebuild after pacman changes, so I doubt anyone is going to be bitten this time, as long as they remember to grub-install and grub-mkconfig.

2 Likes

Just took the grub update and all is normal as expected.

2 Likes