I can't run EOS from USB

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but I can’t install EOS because I can’t make it work on USB !!

I always used ventoy to start with EOS from USB drive and it works fine if I boot using grub2 but i this case I don’t have the option for creating automatic partitions like the problem i described here

If I boot with normal mode I can see first few lines of tekst on monitor and then I get a lost video signal on monitor and that’s it…

Then I used rufus to create bootable usb drive with EOS only and results were the same… I don’t understand what’s wrong before I installed EOS on this computer before without problem. I recently updated my GPU card and maybe this problem is related. I had my monitor hooked up over hdmi before, now I use display port. I have AMD GPU like before … just a newer model.

When preparing bootable usb with rufus I have various options how to format it, I tried to use MBR and GPT partition scheme with fa32 and NTFS filesystem.

Any suggestions?

There is a rufus section inside the EOS wiki at the bottom. Follow that. Especially the last picture mentioning dd mode.

Also consider downloading the iso again if that doesn’t work. Maybe it’s damaged.

In case you’re unaware… A brand new ISO has just been released. See HERE.

Thanx to notify me.

1 Like

I tried re-download iso file but the problem remained. Now I downloaded latest gemini iso and install it with rufus and OS started but I didn’t had options for partitioning like mentioned in other post. Then I used ventoy and I was successful, all worked fine and I was able to install EOS.

I’d like to say that everything works fine but it doesn’t because I have problems with my keyboard. When I type a lot of keys are not registered and sometimes a letter become stuck and It write llike pacmaaaaaaaaaaaa

In the past I noticed this problem on Live EOS but after installation worked fine, now I have same problem on installed system and it drives me crazy.

Similar problem with mouse scroll, scroll wheel scrolls page every few turns.

Anyone have similar problem?

installed Plasma? you may want to switch to X11 session from login manager SDDM …

Yea, I have KDE plasma. I switched to X11 and that fixed mouse scroll but I still have problems with keyboard. For some reason sometimes some keys are not registered or stuck.

what specs has this machine?

I had to boot to windows to reply to this post… typing become almost impossible in EOS. What exactly you need to know? I hava an AMD cpu 5600x or something similar, 32gb of ram and AMDRX 7800 XT GPU

My keyboard is standard 104 keys usb keyboard (Logitech ultra x)

I would try another keyboard if you can just to confirm.

I can test it tomorrow, because I don’t have any spare keyboard right now. Anyway, this keybord worked fine on my “old” EOS installation and in Windows also works fine.

I hooked up another keyboard and for now it seems to work fine. I didn’t experienced problems like on my keyboard so probably there it’s an issue with my specific keyboard.
Still I don’t understand why on previous EOS installation worked fine and now it doesn’t. Also issues I encounter are weird and random. What may cause this??

the boot journal while having the issuing keyboard connected could tell a hint, and if not even simpler is to open a terminal run livejournal: journalctl -f keep the window open and replug the issuing keyboard could show error or warning e.t.c

I used command you gave me and this is the result:

apr 24 19:10:40 comp-EOS NetworkManager[661]: <info>  [1713978640.6887] dhcp4 (enp5s0): state changed new lease, address=192.168.0.23
apr 24 19:10:40 comp-EOS systemd[1]: Starting Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service...
apr 24 19:10:40 comp-EOS systemd[1]: Started Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service.
apr 24 19:10:47 comp-EOS rtkit-daemon[1029]: Supervising 9 threads of 7 processes of 1 users.
apr 24 19:10:47 comp-EOS rtkit-daemon[1029]: Supervising 9 threads of 7 processes of 1 users.
apr 24 19:10:50 comp-EOS systemd[1]: NetworkManager-dispatcher.service: Deactivated successfully.
apr 24 19:11:20 comp-EOS ksmserver[1455]: ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.
apr 24 19:11:26 comp-EOS ksmserver[1455]: ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.
apr 24 19:11:42 comp-EOS rtkit-daemon[1029]: Supervising 7 threads of 5 processes of 1 users.
apr 24 19:11:42 comp-EOS rtkit-daemon[1029]: Supervising 7 threads of 5 processes of 1 users.
apr 24 19:12:49 comp-EOS rtkit-daemon[1029]: Supervising 7 threads of 5 processes of 1 users.
apr 24 19:12:49 comp-EOS rtkit-daemon[1029]: Supervising 7 threads of 5 processes of 1 users.
apr 24 19:13:11 comp-EOS kernel: usb 1-2.2: reset low-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
apr 24 19:13:15 comp-EOS kernel: usb 1-2.2: reset low-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
apr 24 19:13:51 comp-EOS kernel: usb 1-2.2: reset low-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
apr 24 19:13:56 comp-EOS kernel: usb 1-2.2: reset low-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
apr 24 19:13:57 comp-EOS rtkit-daemon[1029]: Supervising 7 threads of 5 processes of 1 users.
apr 24 19:13:57 comp-EOS rtkit-daemon[1029]: Supervising 7 threads of 5 processes of 1 users.
apr 24 19:15:21 comp-EOS kernel: usb 1-2.2: reset low-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
apr 24 19:15:26 comp-EOS kernel: usb 1-2.2: reset low-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
apr 24 19:16:02 comp-EOS kernel: usb 1-2.2: reset low-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
apr 24 19:16:17 comp-EOS kernel: usb 1-2.2: reset low-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
apr 24 19:16:29 comp-EOS kernel: usb 1-2.2: reset low-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd

That “low speed” notification gets more often when I use faulty keyboard, bu I don’t know it this means anything.

low speed usb … could be a hint already… can be it is faulty detected ,

Well it’s a very old keyboard so it’s time for me to change it but still I don’t get it why worked just fine a month ago on my previous install.

However, I will try to find a good replacement for best keyboard I ever had (Logitech UltraX Premium)

It’s from 2007 era. The error messages suggest it has a problem connecting this device and therefore tries to reset only giving the same error. It could also be a motherboard problem but if a new keyboard resolves the issue then you should be okay for now. The error indicates that USB 2.0 may not function on your system, or may function only at USB 1.1 speeds.

If you are still getting this error with another keyboard it could be motherboard related. Your system seems like it has usb 1.1 and possibly 2.0 i don’t know? Is the hardware as old as the keyboard? Hopefully another keyboard will get you by.

1 Like

Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 20-49-11 Logitech UltraX Premium USB Tastatur schnurgebunden schwarz OEM Amazon.de Computer & Zubehör

Only keyboard it’s old, computer is modern enough to run latest games on 1440p monitor.

However, I still don’t understand why only EOS have this problem because keyboard still works great on windows 10.

lsmod | grep hcd; lspci -nnk | grep "USB controller" -A2
what does the command show on you?