I cant install pamac in my system

I didn’t provide steps, I suggested that you choose one of that packages and install only that one. If you want support for flatpaks:

yay -S pamac-flatpak

Or if you want the git version:

yay -S pamac-flatpak-git

Install only one of them and, please, dont’ try anything else until you post here the errors you’ve got installing it.

Install only one of them and, please, dont’ try anything else until you post here the errors you’ve got installing it.

I got this error while installing pamac-flatpak

ERROR: One or more files did not pass the validity check!
 -> error making: pamac-flatpak

exit status 1

In my opinion pamac is a great gui package manager. I also use often pamal-cli … on manjaro! :smile:
I use it for complete system update … on manjaro.

As I went to EOS on my desktop computer I thought I must have pamac in this distro too. I tried to install pamac and got many errors. So meanwhile I don’t need it anymore … in EOS. Here I use pacman and yay and I don’t miss something. I also installed octopi … but I don’t really use it.

So, every distro has it’s own package manager. And EOS has yay and pacman. They are command line without gui interfaces, yes, but nothing more is needed … in my case.

That’s an specific error and easier to try to find out what’s going on. There’s a post about it:

I’ll try to install pamac-flatpak later on a VM.

Just saw this topic, and a couple of items that it doesn’t look like were covered.

1. You keep using yay -S. Try using yay -Sy or just yay, your local package DB may be out of sync with the AUR which may be causing your missing dependency (it might not also, pamac breaks like this sometimes because it’s a Manjaro product, as mentioned).
  2. You pobably want to use pamac-nosnap. That includes the AUR and Flatpak support in one application, which is a decent enough reason to use pamac despite the issues it has otherwise. I’ve never gotten pamac-all to compile properly, and there’s no reason to use pamac-aur (see Item 3 below).
  3. If all you want is your repos plus the AUR I see no reason to use pamac, because it has a lot of other issues. Pacseek will give you everything pamac does with a lot fewer issues.
  4. Speaking of pamac issues, it only seems to have about an 80% success rate installing AUR packages. That’s not the worst in the world, but it’s not a good thing either.

The user must have installed some other packages or made some changes that are causing the issue. I have pamac-aur-git installed and don’t have any issues. Been using it for a long time but now use pacseek. It always installs on EOS without issue but I’m not one to install lots of other packages or make many changes. I always install the same packages that i know work and have no problems.

Pacseek is a better way along with yay and terminal commands for pacman. But i do have pamac-aur-git installed and i use it occasionally. I don’t use flatpaks or snaps! I use the AUR btw!

Please don’t recommend to people to use yay -Sy, this is dangerous. It is virtually guaranteed to end up in a partial update scenario and can easily cause an unbootable system.

All of these are better choices:

• yay <package>
  • yay -S <package>
  • yay -Syu <package>
2 Likes

You pobably want to use pamac-nosnap.

I have already tried this, same errors as mentioned above.

it only seems to have about an 80% success rate installing AUR packages.

Thanks, I didn’t know this.

-Syu would be better, yes, OP probably hasn’t run that either to update the system, but if -S doesn’t work it’s possible that the local DB doesn’t match what’s available on the repo anymore. So yeah, I’m still going to recommend -Sy in certain situations. Not generally, but in certain situations.

The user must have installed some other packages or made some changes that are causing the issue.

I installed eos, then I wanted to install extension-manager for gnome, so I installed pamac-aur package and the errors came. Before this I did install vlc and qbittorrent through yay, which didn’t cause any error.
So I don’t know what did I did wrong.

Some might say installing pamac is the thing you did wrong. :wink:

But yeah, as @dalto said, it’s a product from a different distro and meant to be used in that distro. It’s nice that we get the source code for it so we can try to make it work, but it’s really not meant to just be dropped into Endeavour and used as-is.

Even if that is true, pacman -Sy <package> isn’t the right solution to that problem. That is fundamentally dangerous. You could easily end causing the user to have a completely unbootable system that way.

It is just terrible advice.

2 Likes

-Syu would be better

Tried this didn’t work either, same errors as before.

OP probably hasn’t run that either to update the system

I already mentioned above that I updated the system using both pacman and yay.

If you want help getting pamac working, you need to provide the full text output from pamac. Otherwise, we are just guessing.

BTW guys, I heard before that eos community forums are noob friendly, but I never guessed in ages that it would be so fast.
After so much troubleshooting, I think I like pacseek a lot now, will stick with it.
So thank you so much everyone who helped me here today.

6 Likes

Please tell me which exact commands do you want me to put in terminal.

It’s not that you did anything wrong. When you tried to install pamac-aur you said you got errors. That is where you needed to figure out what the error messages were telling you on the package build. I don’t know about the gnome extension-manager. It should not be a problem as far as i know.

When you have issues and you need help it’s best to copy and paste the output from the terminal and make sure you use code tags.

Same error on VM, fresh EOS xfce install.

Yeah, you can’t now until you try! pamac-flatpak is broken and the only git versions available are pamac-aur-git and pamac-all-git

The thing with pamac is that it still puts a lot of load on aurweb.

While they use their own CDN for hosting the AUR metadata, this is only applied when you use manjaro.

So if you use pamac on a different distro than Manjaro, all traffic still goes to aurweb

3 Likes

In pamac, there should be a button/wdiget that shows you the full output when there is a failure.