I cant install pamac in my system

After I installed the os , I installed pamac-aur from yay. But when I try to install software, I get this error target not found: archlinux-appstream-data.
But if i remove archlinux-appstream-data-pamac and replace it with archlinux-appstream-data. It starts showing error - unable to satisfy dependency 'archlinux-appstream-data-pamac' required by libpamac-flatpak.

Can someone help me with this

Check out the comments about pamac-aur on this site.

There are various other packages, you could install if it does not work for you.

However!

EnOS uses yay for more than one reason!

3 Likes

I would suggest you try.

yay -S pamac-aur-git

Edit: You really should try pacseek if you haven’t tried it. It’s a very good tool for many things besides installing packages.

4 Likes

pamac is often broken on AUR. You could try using pamac-aur-git instead.

Even still, expect breakages.

2 Likes

I have again tried yay -S pamac-aur-git, it installs but still shows the same error while installing software target not found: archlinux-appstream-data.
I dont understand why its not working, How are other people using it, if its broken.

Maybe, you also need libpamac-aur?
I can’t say, as I stopped using pamac alltogether, few years ago.

That is a repo package and a different error than the one you shared above. It should never be not found. Is you system updated? Make sure you update before trying to install packages.

Wait, I just re-read your post. Are you saying you already installed pamac and are now getting that error when you try to install software? If so, what are you trying to install?

Literally anything eg htop, mpv anything. I have also tried other listed pamac packages eg pamac-flatpak, pamac-nosnap but all have this error and some are not able to even install.
I have always used some gui on arch for installing software. This is first time its not working at all.

Maybe, you also need libpamac-aur?

no libpamac-aur is shown as a conflicting package with libpamac-git

Chances are this is because pamac is trying to update your system and pamac itself is blocking the update.

Can you try running yay to update your system and see if that works? If it doesn’t use yay to install pamac-aur-git first.

2 Likes

Most people here don’t use it to be honest.

The only app type store I can recommend is pacseek.

5 Likes

Can you try running yay to update your system and see if that works? If it doesn’t use yay to install pamac-aur-git first.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I have updated the system using yay and pacman both, and it’s up-to-date. And I am using yay till now for installing all different pamac packages including pamac-aur-git.

Most people here don’t use it to be honest.

Ok, but It’s installed by default on manjaro, how are they using it. Or is the package version different for them ?

Indeed, in some cases they can differ by miles & eons…

After reading all the replies, is it safe for me to assume that depending on pamac is generally bad and the only go to way should be CLI ?
Well pacseek looks decent to me, just no screenshots for the apps.

2 Likes

pacseek shows some web-links about the package highlighted…

4 Likes

@akash_258, welcome to this great purple space! :rocketa_purple:

pamac-aur doesn’t provide support for Flatpak.

I would try by first removing pamac and archlinux-appstream-data because this one is for other software center apps, not for pamac.

After that, install the package you want:

• pamac-aur - Supports arch repositories + AUR
  • pamac-flatpack - Supports arch repositories + AUR + Flatpak
  • pamac-all - Supports arch repositories, + AUR + Flatpak + Snap

Let the one you’ve chosen install the dependencies it needs.

Final note: Remember that EOS is a terminal centric distro and doesn’t recommend any GUI package installer, but you’re free to try, just never use it to update your system.

…and be ready for frequent breakages & errors, like dalto said.

1 Like
pamac-aur - Supports arch repositories + AUR
pamac-flatpack - Supports arch repositories + AUR + Flatpak
pamac-all - Supports arch repositories, + AUR + Flatpak + Snap

pamac-all , pamac-all-git , pamac-flatpak , pamac-flatpak-git failed to build.
pamac-aur & pamac-aur-git builds successfully but have the same error target not found: archlinux-appstream-data

Edit : These results are after following your steps.

Manjaro has their own repos which are separate from Arch. pamac targets those repos, not the Arch repos. That is the source of the issue.

pamac isn’t bad, but it is broken fairly often. If you prefer a GUI package manager, bauh and octopi are options. pacseek is TUI package manager that also works.

4 Likes