I cannot get rid of the theming

Hello everyone,

Since I installed EndeavourOS I’ve switched desktop environments a few times. I always tried to follow the arch wiki, but now that I’ve switched to gnome I found myself facing an issue. I cannot get rid of this dracula-like theme.

I tried to remove/backup any xfce4 and plasma configurations that might be interfering, as well as removed my ~/.themes folder, but it did not work and I ran out of ideas. Does anyone know how can I remove this theme and restore adwaita as the default?

Do you have other DE’s installed, together with Gnome?
…thinking of QT-based DE’s versus GTK-based ones here. If so, KDE (par example) could be interfering with the Gnome layout…

Not anymore, I removed xfce4 and plasma completely from my machine

Was it really completely? Are you sure no config files got left behind? Maybe try with a new user, to be sure…

1 Like

Perhaps I left something behind, but I don’t know how to check that… I tried following wiki as much as I could

That seems a bold statement. Could be, some KDE remnants are still active. So a reinstall would give you a fresh GTK based GNOME-look, unless someone (only you) can replicate everything that was installed on KDE systemwise and be really sure to have had it removed…

As @Kresimir said, try a “new user” first. :wink:

:v:

1 Like

you mean a reinstall of KDE? or GNOME?

Sorry, I re-edited my post.

You could try the following command to reset your desktop settings to default:

dconf reset -f /org/gnome/

Fore more, please read through this article to see what the command above does:

:warning:
The command doesn’t reset just Gnome desktop settings, but also any application that stores its settings using dconf in /org/gnome/, like Gnome Terminal, Files, Weather, Software, Rhythmbox, Disks, Evolution, Gthumb, and many others.

You could also install dconf-editor to help you see what applications stores their settings in /org/gnome.

What theme is actually installed :

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme

And can you revert back to the default theme ?

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme Adwaita

xdg-desktop-portal-gnome - installed? Got a vague memory it is needed.

Hello @avgdd, First you have to decide which direction you choose. Maybe I’m less knowledable then the members of inner circle here.
Do you (dare to) use Gnome Extensions?
If have not, and yes, yay -S extension-manager
and then use Extension Manager (blue) instead of Extensions (green icon).
add User Themes extension at least.
Download from https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1403328 and extract to ~.themes
It’s just an example. Then you can take back the control over your themes I hope. Edit: I’m so careless!

The original post is showing that Extensions, Tweaks, etc. are already in use, if you care to look at the OP screenshot.

@Kresimir I tried creating a new user and yes, that new user has the default theme so there must me something left messing up my user. What could I do from here?

1 Like

You could transfer (not all!) but your important files in user-home to the new user and chown them to the new user. After, delete the old user. The risk with that is, you could again copy some unwanted files resulting in the “bad look” you had before. What definitely needs to be omitted are files from standard KDE apps…

I tried this but it didn’t work. The theme is still there… can I use that app to reset the settings of my previous DE like xfce and KDE?

The output of the first one is 'Adwaita' and the second one didn’t change anything on my machine

I have never tried that so I couldn’t tell for sure.

The more questions one asks, the more answers one receives. If one decides to follow multiple paths, one is always in danger of losing oneself.

Sounds like a famous quote. :wink:

Hahaha sure, definitely. I am reluctant into moving users, as I feel like that is the kind of thing I would mess up and end up having to format my computer, so I would rather leave that as a last resource. :sweat_smile: